Tony La Russa named Manager

YourWhatHurts

3 minutes ago, greg775 said:

If Tony passes a physical and is healthy, I say go for it. He could win the 2-3 titles he'd have won had Hawk not fired him IMO.

Hard pass, he is beyond his years, hasn’t managed in forever and just might be a step backwards from Renteria at this point with the way baseball analytics come into play. If Hahn signs LaRussa as the manager that just might be a fireable offense and has a lot of questions to answer in regards to his media answers from yesterday 

4 hours ago, yoyozuna said:

Has anybody mentioned Bochy?I thought he wanted to manage again and he would check a lot of boxes.

Bochy said he was ready to listen.  Hope they give him a long look.  Very well respected with more managerial experience than just about anybody.  At 65 he's not a kid but I'll bet he would listen to a 3-year plan.  Let Jirschele be his bench coach and learn from a pro.  Old school sitting next to analytics.  Sign me up.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Bochy said he was ready to listen.  Hope they give him a long look.  Very well respected with more managerial experience than just about anybody.  At 65 he's not a kid but I'll bet he would listen to a 3-year plan.  Let Jirschele be his bench coach and learn from a pro.  Old school sitting next to analytics.  Sign me up.

Bochy being open to the job shoots him up to #1 on the list immediately.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

If the Sox actually rehire Larussa... I can't believe this is possible but it would completely reverse all the excitement I felt yesterday when they parted with Ricky and Coop. Would be a huge step backwards after a huge step forward (that I think most of us didn't think would even happen).

Hopefully this is about as true as how Arenado was "for sure" coming to Chicago. But guys like Bob actually pushing this that hard is just a tad nerve-wracking.

Edited by KonerkoFan1

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Or are they throwing LaRussas name out there so when hire Hinch, people are so happy it isn’t LaRussa they stop any cheater talk.

It could be that or they are hiring someone else too. The first candidates named are sometimes the ones that aren’t hired. We shall see.

Edited by maloney.adam

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

Bochy would be a great get. Just read he said he'd be interested; I'd much rather have Bruce than Hinch.

Met Bochy once at a bar in Milwaukee after a game when they were playing the Brewers; it was the night of the Villanova National Title game and the guy had like 75k on Nova. Really cool guy, and everything I've ever heard about him from anyone around baseball and on the Giants is that he's great.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Bochy would be a great get. Just read he said he'd be interested; I'd much rather have Bruce than Hinch.

Met Bochy once at a bar in Milwaukee after a game when they were playing the Brewers; it was the night of the Villanova National Title game and the guy had like 75k on Nova. Really cool guy, and everything I've ever heard about him from anyone around baseball and on the Giants is that he's great.

Bochy is perfect for our team.  Comes with a ton of credibility and would attract top-tier coaches as well.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

Let's not act like the Astros would be crap had they not cheated. They may not have won it all but they would still be a top AL team. 

This speaks more to the quality of their FO than to the quality of Hinch.

And again, in game decisions are easy to make when Altuve knows what pitch is coming in his next PA.

That aside, I wonder if Bochy would be willing to come, and take Jireshele (sp?) as his bench coach. I think im warming to the idea of experience + up and comer as the manager/bench coach pairing.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

This speaks more to the quality of their FO than to the quality of Hinch.

And again, in game decisions are easy to make when Altuve knows what pitch is coming in his next PA.

That aside, I wonder if Bochy would be willing to come, and take Jireshele (sp?) as his bench coach. I think im warming to the idea of experience + up and comer as the manager/bench coach pairing.

It's not, though. Like at all. 

Things like lineups, bullpen/pitching management, defensive alignments/changes have nothing to do with knowing what pitch is coming, and those were people's biggest gripes about Ricky around here.

• Like 2

On 10/12/2020 at 9:54 PM, HakunaMachado said:

Why wouldn’t Cora be the primary target, with Spanish speaking being a huge plus?

LaRussa speaks Spanish, I'm almost certain.    His mother was Spanish.  Not for me.  I want to remember him as I last saw him, in the dugout at the ASG the year after he retired, wearing TV makeup.

• Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic