Tony La Russa named Manager

YourWhatHurts

Hinch Bio...most recently the manager of the Houston Astros of Major League Baseball (MLB) from 2015 to 2019, winning the World Series in 2017. Before joining the Astros, Hinch played catcher for the Oakland Athletics (19982000), Kansas City Royals (20012002), Detroit Tigers (2003), and Philadelphia Phillies (2004), managed the Arizona Diamondbacks (from May 2009 to July 2010), and was vice president of professional scouting for the San Diego Padres (from September 2010 to August 2014). Hinch has a degree in psychology from Stanford University.  Tons of experience. Love that he ran scouting for the Padres and degree in psychology from Stanford. Don't know if he speaks Spanish.

13 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Ok, this isn't funny anymore.  If I am being honest here, I would rather have kept Ricky than to do this.

Can I ask - why do people not want Larussa? Because he is old or is there something out?  He is one of the greatest managers of all time.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Can I ask - why do people not want Larussa? Because he is old or is there something out?  He is one of the greatest managers of all time.  

I want a modern manager.  I want a guy who will relate to our kids and also understand the modern big data aspects of the game.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Hi is 76 and hasn't managed in nearly a decade, and it completely contradicts what Hahn just said was their ideal.  I never watched StL enough to have an idea of how he managed then, let alone how he would manage now in the age of data.

Just now, fathom said:

This would 100 pct be a Jerry move. If he does that, it better mean a payroll increase as well.  I’m just hopeful the talent amassed is too good for any manager to mess up.

*IF*, it best be to groom their future manager.  And even then, why do it?

It's Jerry's choice to shoot himself in the foot if he wants, but it would be so very contrary to the forward modern progress the whole org has made during the rebuild.

4 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

*IF*, it best be to groom their future manager.  And even then, why do it?

It's Jerry's choice to shoot himself in the foot if he wants, but it would be so very contrary to the forward modern progress the whole org has made during the rebuild.

I said the other day that IF they were to actually bring in their next manager and assign him the bench coach role, and essentially make him the junior manager, it might make some sense.  If you bring in an AJ HInch, but are scared to flat out make him the manager with all of the background stuff, you make him the bench coach, but essentially the co-manager with a timeline to make him manager in a year or two. This allows the Astros scandal stuff to fade a bit more into the background instead of dealing with it directly.  I can start to understand this move, if this what they are doing.  But if it is straight up TLR?  Ugh.  Why.

32 minutes ago, Tony said:

Because many of us believe in taking a more analytical approach, which goes with the story came out last night Hahn and Rick were frustrated with Ricky and Cooper that they wouldn't embrace it as much as the FO wanted. Additionally, many of us felt the game had passed Don Cooper by. 

We're now talking about Tony LaRussa, who is 76 and last managed in 2011. He's an old red-ass. I don't want him managing Eloy-Robert-Moncada-Anderson. The Sox slogan last year was "Change The Game." 

Tony LaRussa "changed the game" in the late 80's. Not 2020

But it seems like age bias to just ignore LaRussa and everything he did. The guy was elite at his craft through 3 decades - you don't do that by not adapting to change. I'm not saying Larussa is my guy, but I don't know that I'd go as far as saying he's an awful candidate.  He's won 3 world series and was part of leading one of the winningest organizations in baseball since he got there in the mid 90's (Cardinals).   Now if he's completely removed from the game of baseball - that is a whole nother thing.  I have no idea - but I don't see why you wouldn't have a conversation with him about the job and what he sees, thinks, etc.   

43 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I also liked Ken Griffey Jr.  He was one of the greatest of all time.  Not the version we got however. 

La Russa as a one year manager with Hinch as bench coach “paying his dues” and replacing La Russa in ‘22. 

1. La Russa gets one last shot

2. Easier p.r. Sell to make Hinch “earn it”

3. Kind of a cool story to have a hall of Famer come out of retirement to lead a team to the promise land as the face while Hinch does the heavy lifting.

Edited by Orlando

3 minutes ago, Orlando said:

La Russa as a one year manager with Hinch S bench coach “paying his dues” and replacing La Russa in ‘22. 

1. La Russa gets one last shot

2. Easier p.r. Sell to make Hinch “earn it”

3. Kind of a cool story to have a hall of Famer come out of retirement to lead a team to the promise land as the face while Hinch does the heavy lifting.

I think La Russa managing for any point of time would be a detriment to the team both on-the-field and culturally.

Edited by Sockin
  • Like 1

• Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic