Tony La Russa named Manager

YourWhatHurts

26 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I am older than most here and I saw LaRussa manage the Sox for a few years. There was nothing that made him exceptional. Firing him was something you heard on the few sports talk shows and in newspapers at the time, all the time. I think his winning was more the product of his organization. Who wouldn't have won with the rosters he had? 

I wouldn't have much age bias if he were 65, but if you listen to interviews with him, he has certainly slowed down, and he is 76.  I was happy Hawk canned him. I think Fregosi was just as good, and when the team got good, I don't think LaRussa could have handled them any better than Torborg.

He has only been out of managing 1 more season than Ozzie, but I really think they have to go with a younger guy. Hinch's cheating is really a problem for me, but if he can overcome that, he certainly has to be more desirable than Tony. 

Who knows, maybe playing the LaRussa card was the only way KW and RH could convince JR to send Ricky away.

I too watched LaRussa his entire WS managerial stint and was glad to see him go.  Continuous slowing up the game as he stopped the game to have an outfielder move over 2 or 3 yards or go out to discuss some fine point with the umps.  The thought I had at the time was he liked to "over manage."  In most people's eyes, he became a fine manager but I for one never second-guessed the decision to release him.

2 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

Bernstein was also real quick to talk on Monday about how La Russa seemed to be losing it a bit his last season with the Cards.  Which was 9 years ago.

Is there any possibility that TLR actually does get hired by the Sox, but is simply here in an advisory capacity the way he is with the Angels? (Not crazy about that idea either considering the Angels have had the best player on the planet for the last decade and have absolutely zero to show for it).

5 minutes ago, oneofthemikes said:

So what other names are we going to see pop up in the next couple weeks before we're actually able to interview Hinch?

Judging based on Hahn’s comments and Keuchel’s excitement I would imagine they’ve already “interviewed” him.

Just now, oneofthemikes said:

Is there any possibility that TLR actually does get hired by the Sox, but is simply here in an advisory capacity the way he is with the Angels? (Not crazy about that idea either considering the Angels have had the best player on the planet for the last decade and have absolutely zero to show for it).

That is the only role that would make any sense to me.  And even then I'd be opposed to it.

1 minute ago, oneofthemikes said:

I don't mind that at all.  He does have a great baseball mind/eye....just don't think I want him in the day to day as a manager.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oneofthemikes said:

He was with Arizona , hired Dave Stewart as the GM and ran them into the ground. He was with Boston as Dombrowski hired him. He was let go. Then he was with the Angels this year. They were horrible. He's like a 45 year old boxer. He should have given it up when he first gave it up.

2 minutes ago, oneofthemikes said:

Perfect! That's just like a few years ago when there was a rumor about Condoleeza Rice being interviewed for the Browns HC job

I forgot that that was a thing.

Man, the writers really should have saved that storyline for 2020.

Fathom posted the link, but here is the tweet: 

Maybe La Russa does want to get back into the dugout and JR is throwing his old friend a bone to get his name out there.  I simply can't see him being a fit in the Sox dugout.

Edited by SouthWallace

Folks, we should know by now this is all Reinsdorf and the partners. If they want Tony (and face it if Jerry is healthy and Tony is healthy it's gonna be Tony) it will be Tony. My guess is Jerry, if he's healthy and spry still, wants Tony around as manager. It would right a lot of wrongs caused by Hawk when he canned Tony. Rich guys think differently than we do, folks and Jerry wants to win a title or two with his pal, his baseball buddy.

It's that simple. It's Tony if Tony is healthy (AND IF HE WANTS TO MANAGE) and Jerry is healthy. And don't forget Tony, who is grumpy, can handle the Chicago media now, now that newspapers are dead and talk radio is something Tony can ignore if he wishes.

Again, we are all grownups here and know how the world works. Jerry wants to be involved and best way is to hire his pal, who happens to be in the Hall.

Edited by greg775

I'm starting to warm to the idea, BTW. Tony LaRussa, Hall of Famer, gets to mold Robert into a superstar, gets to motivate Eloy even more to be a star, gets to work with some of the potential stars in the game on the Sox team.

What are the downsides? I believe Tony also speaks Spanish which is BIG in today's game and considering the Sox need a communicator with the Spanish speaking guys.

What can it hurt? He's a Hall of Famer. He's not gonna screw it up. Only better thing would be Ozzeroo and even I realize Oz buried himself and can't be hired because of prior statements he's made. Could cause picketing, riots, etc. I really don't want anybody involved with the Astros scandal. It doesn't have to be Tony for me to be happy but why not??

Edited by greg775

Just now, greg775 said:

I'm starting to warm to the idea, BTW. Tony LaRussa, Hall of Famer, gets to mold Robert into a superstar, gets to motivate Eloy even more to be a star, gets to work with some of the potential stars in the game on the Sox team.

What are the downsides? I believe Tony also speaks Spanish which is BIG in today's game and considering the Sox need a communicator with the Spanish speaking guys.

What can it hurt? He's a Hall of Famer. He's not gonna screw it up.

We need a puke emotion on posts.  Thats what I would give this take.  No offense Greg.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, greg775 said:

You would be warm to Hawk Harrelson being the manager as well.  AJ the hitting coach, and Ozzie as the GM.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, greg775 said:

🤢🤮

Edited by maloney.adam

Just now, BFirebird said:

We need a puke emotion on posts.  Thats what I would give this take.  No offense Greg.

No problem, but if Sox fans only concern is age, the heck with that. We're about to elect a president who is pretty darn old. Tony needs to agree to an extensive health exam for everybody's benefit, then go ahead and hire him if Jerry wants his buddy to run the show during the Sox WS window. I'll stop now and read your replies.

2 minutes ago, greg775 said:

No problem, but if Sox fans only concern is age, the heck with that. We're about to elect a president who is pretty darn old. Tony needs to agree to an extensive health exam for everybody's benefit, then go ahead and hire him if Jerry wants his buddy to run the show during the Sox WS window. I'll stop now and read your replies.

Do you want the Sox to interview Bobby Cox as well?

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Haha 1

Just now, greg775 said:

How long do you think the white sox window is.  He is 76.  Check the obits and see how many of people in their late 70s and early 80s are waking up in the morning and not with us later in the day.  Its not a question on mental faculties.   Its the fact that human beings have an expiration date.  

Just now, greg775 said:

I think most people want a new fresher perspective of how the team is run.  More analytical driven.  Age has nothing to do with it.  Maddon is up there in age but he is more on the analytical side (even if his in game managing is a little strange at times) and I would take him over LaRussa in a heart beat. 

• Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic