Tony La Russa named Manager

YourWhatHurts

20 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Folks, we should know by now this is all Reinsdorf and the partners. If they want Tony (and face it if Jerry is healthy and Tony is healthy it's gonna be Tony) it will be Tony. My guess is Jerry, if he's healthy and spry still, wants Tony around as manager. It would right a lot of wrongs caused by Hawk when he canned Tony. Rich guys think differently than we do, folks and Jerry wants to win a title or two with his pal, his baseball buddy.

It's that simple. It's Tony if Tony is healthy (AND IF HE WANTS TO MANAGE) and Jerry is healthy. And don't forget Tony, who is grumpy, can handle the Chicago media now, now that newspapers are dead and talk radio is something Tony can ignore if he wishes.

Again, we are all grownups here and know how the world works. Jerry wants to be involved and best way is to hire his pal, who happens to be in the Hall.

If Jerry forces Tony on this.  Then I will have to wait for Jerry's eventual departure for the heavenly express before we have any serious changes.  Similar to what happened with the blackhawks.  

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I mentioned yesterday that they may be using LaRussa as a smokescreen and to get people off of caring much about Hinch's scandal. The more I think about it, there is no way JR would let Tony be used that way. This has to be legit interest.

This is absolutely what it is.

24 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I'm starting to warm to the idea, BTW. Tony LaRussa, Hall of Famer, gets to mold Robert into a superstar, gets to motivate Eloy even more to be a star, gets to work with some of the potential stars in the game on the Sox team.

What are the downsides? I believe Tony also speaks Spanish which is BIG in today's game and considering the Sox need a communicator with the Spanish speaking guys.

What can it hurt? He's a Hall of Famer. He's not gonna screw it up. Only better thing would be Ozzeroo and even I realize Oz buried himself and can't be hired because of prior statements he's made. Could cause picketing, riots, etc. I really don't want anybody involved with the Astros scandal. It doesn't have to be Tony for me to be happy but why not??

This makes me feel instantly better about being anti-TLR.

• Haha 2
  • Fire 1

21 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

How long do you think the white sox window is.  He is 76.  Check the obits and see how many of people in their late 70s and early 80s are waking up in the morning and not with us later in the day.  Its not a question on mental faculties.   Its the fact that human beings have an expiration date.  

As a 75-year-old WS fan let me just say...you've ruined my whole day.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, southsideirish71 said:

the other side of this from an age perpective.  This team is about to go on an extended run.  So hiring a 76 year old.  What is his longevity here.  Do we see him at 80 managing the team.  

I think if you are hiring Larussa you are doing it for a few years while he grooms a more junior individual for the final role. Whether that is Jirechelle or however you spell it, I don't know, but it is certainly an option.  

6 minutes ago, Baron said:

It's looking more like the Hinch rumor was the smokescreen 

Until I get the official memo that the Jerry Reinsdorf Loyalty Program has come to an end, the Reinsdorf/LaRussa 40 year bromance makes LaRussa’s hiring a real potential of happening.  

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

He has always had guys play crazy additional positions. I don't think you would see Greg's dream and have TA catching, but you may see Moncada in RF or even Abreu. He had Mike Squires a lefty, GG quality 1B,  play 3B and C.

He also did that odd thing where he switched where his pitcher hit from time to time (IIRC).  

13 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I think if you are hiring Larussa you are doing it for a few years while he grooms a more junior individual for the final role. Whether that is Jirechelle or however you spell it, I don't know, but it is certainly an option.  

Wasn't that the reason RR was hired? We don't need any more "groomers;" We need a competent, experienced manager who isn't 76 fucking years old. No more fucking around, now is the time.

Edited by KonerkoFan1
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

AJ Hinch has 3 100 win seasons in a row. He isn't taking a bench coach job. This isn't a guy who needs seasoning.

100% true - if Larussa is in, and they take the approach to groom his heir apparent, it won't be someone who is an experienced manager.  

• Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic