Tony La Russa named Manager

YourWhatHurts

2 hours ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Why would he need to be at Great Falls with a guy like Getz as his superior when let's be honest Getz was just a jabroni at the MLB level.  If you put AJ at 3B under TLR or Bruce Bochy, and advance him to bench coach after a year, then maybe manager after at least 2 years of being a bench coach, then that is fine.

Believe me, AJ working under TLR directly, with TLR directly reporting directly to ownership, is a lot more likely to "put AJ in line" or "keep AJ in line" than being stuck in the minors under a bunch of guys with nothing even close to his resume.  Honestly, the idea of AJ taking instruction from a guy like Getz is insulting.

All of this sounds horrible. I would have rather we stayed with Renteria. 

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

So Stoney isn’t saying no to a TLR and younger coach tandem. Instead of AJP, I wonder if Konerko is interested

I thought I heard a Chuck podcast interview with Paulie earlier this spring where PK was talking about how much he was loving life spending time with his family and coaching youth baseball in Arizona. I got the sense he wasn't in any sort of rush to go back on the road away from his family.

3 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

I thought I heard a Chuck podcast interview with Paulie earlier this spring where PK was talking about how much he was loving life spending time with his family and coaching youth baseball in Arizona. I got the sense he wasn't in any sort of rush to go back on the road away from his family.

A lot of people loved spending time with their family until quarantine, and now they want out of the house :)

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, fathom said:

So Stoney isn’t saying no to a TLR and younger coach tandem. Instead of AJP, I wonder if Konerko is interested

If that were the case it would be Jirschele, no?  If they want to keep him in the org before he gets nabbed up by someone else.  That's the only way TLR makes any damn sense to me. 

19 minutes ago, fathom said:

I think Paulie has the temperment to be a good manager and I would be very intrigued with this. If TLR is coming - there is no doubt in my mind he's being paired with a younger coach who we think has mgr upside (maybe a heavy analytics guy - but one who TLR obviously aligns with cause I don't see TLR taking a job and not having his say on staff, etc).  

I completely forgot this, but don’t forget Stoney has been preaching about how baseball teams should have “two managers”.  I wonder if they’re implementing this by having TLR teamed up with an analytics guy.  Stoney says we will all be happy, and I don’t think he would say that if it’s just Tony and his old crew.

A few nuggets:

A source indicated to Ken Rosenthal that Jerry’s friendship with La Russa is a big factor but they don’t know if he wants the job. Could be perceived as if he wants it, it’s his.

A separate White Sox source told the Athletic that the Sox are in the baby stages of looking for a manager and nothing is set in stone. (This debunks the theory that they have a deal in place with Hinch)

Ken Rosenthal also had another source indicate to him that A J Hinch is a strong candidate.

I think our only hope is that La Russa turns down the job and then Hinch is ours.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Why would he need to be at Great Falls with a guy like Getz as his superior when let's be honest Getz was just a jabroni at the MLB level.  If you put AJ at 3B under TLR or Bruce Bochy, and advance him to bench coach after a year, then maybe manager after at least 2 years of being a bench coach, then that is fine.

Believe me, AJ working under TLR directly, with TLR directly reporting directly to ownership, is a lot more likely to "put AJ in line" or "keep AJ in line" than being stuck in the minors under a bunch of guys with nothing even close to his resume.  Honestly, the idea of AJ taking instruction from a guy like Getz is insulting.

I’m really not trying to be a dick, but this a total meatball take.  Who the fuck cares what kind of player Getz was at the major league level?  And now you want AJ as 3rd base coach under LaRussa.  That sound like an absolutely horrible coaching staff and what would AJ provide in that role?  And somehow Omar Vizquel was able to take instruction from Christ Getz without being insulted.  

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Hinch

Yeah, if you read Stone's tweets, it's pretty obvious Hinch is the guy.  Everybody is guessing names, and he is saying "no" to all of them except Hinch.  Then when somebody mentions two names, Stone always shoots down the non-Hinch name, like this...

1 minute ago, SoxBlanco said:

Yeah, if you read Stone's tweets, it's pretty obvious Hinch is the guy.  Everybody is guessing names, and he is saying "no" to all of them except Hinch.  Then when somebody mentions two names, Stone always shoots down the non-Hinch name, like this...

He also has not shot down La Russa

9 minutes ago, Orlando said:

He also has not shot down La Russa

True, but he did shoot down the Hinch/TLR tandem, as seen below.  Maybe he's not shooting down La Russa because they are actually meeting with him (for whatever reason), and he's not going to shoot somebody down who is actually being interviewed.

4 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

True, but he did shoot down the Hinch/TLR tandem, as seen below.  Maybe he's not shooting down La Russa because they are actually meeting with him (for whatever reason), and he's not going to shoot somebody down who is actually being interviewed.

https://twitter.com/chrislocken/status/1316516862700793859?s=21

He has shot down La Russa/AJ Pierzynski so if not Hinch/La Russa, I wonder what tandem he could be hinting as a possibility? If I recall on the White Sox talk podcast he talked about the benefits of having two managers. I wonder if he knew the Sox direction at that time 🤔🤔🤔

Edited by Orlando
  • Thanks 1

I'd honestly be fine with LaRussa. I don't think people give him enough credit for his analytics, but he was one of those guys who was super deep into pitching changes. He'd waste several pitchers on one batter in the inning. 

I think they'll pair him with Hinch being his understudy to be honest. That'll be to help give Hinch some credibility back, then let him fully take over.

1 minute ago, nitetrain8601 said:

I'd honestly be fine with LaRussa. I don't think people give him enough credit for his analytics, but he was one of those guys who was super deep into pitching changes. He'd waste several pitchers on one batter in the inning. 

I think they'll pair him with Hinch being his understudy to be honest. That'll be to help give Hinch some credibility back, then let him fully take over.

No way they pair LaRussa up with AJ Hinch. Why would he sign up for that when I’m sure Detroit would give him full reign of their organization if he asked for it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

No way they pair LaRussa up with AJ Hinch. Why would he sign up for that when I’m sure Detroit would give him full reign of their organization if he asked for it. 

Because if he sucks with Detroit (which he will), that's it. He's done for. People will think he's a shitty manager without the cheating, whether right or wrong. Hinch is only going to get one chance at this in terms of rebuilding his reputation. It honestly would be really smart of him to latch onto a HoF manager to give him back some credibility.

Just now, Tony said:

So then if you’re OK with Hinch becoming the manager then, why not now?

Look at the threads around here now. Hinch hasn't been away long enough for people to forget, nor does he have anyone vouching for him. His players really F'ed him over tbh. And it doesn't help that many Astros players seemingly had a down year.

Maybe I’m reaching a bit here but I think i will be more pissed if they sign LaRussa instead of signing AJ Hinch than I was when we whiffed on Machado. This next managerial hiring has huge implications for the future of this teams contention. LaRussa is too old for a manager nowadays and what has he done so great since being a special advisor for the last place angels? I don’t believe Hinch would sign up for a tandem pairing with LaRussa. 

Edited by HahnsKiddieTable

• Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic