Tony La Russa named Manager

YourWhatHurts

6 hours ago, jaws7575 said:

Bruce Bochy might be taking a run at the job-you know the sox are being well thought about when all these are hoping into the fray.I dont want to see Konerko, AJ  , Baines, Rains  or any other former sox  player being  named the manager.

I wouldn't hate the idea of Bochy, but I'll still take Hinch #1 and for me there is no close #2

11 hours ago, SouthWallace said:

If that were the case it would be Jirschele, no?  If they want to keep him in the org before he gets nabbed up by someone else.  That's the only way TLR makes any damn sense to me. 

No matter who the new manager is (Bochy or TLR)...I would like Jirschele to be an understudy.  I would have been happy with Jirschele getting the job but I understand that is not in the cards at this time.

• Like 1

Bob Nightengale making me throw up in my mouth on the Whitesox talk podcast. LaRussa and Jerry bff forever story and riding off in the sunset together if they make it to the World Series. If that is what gets him the job because of Jerry’s hard on for him and he can’t put his friendship aside then Jerry has burned this rebuild before it even got off the ground. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Bob Nightengale making me throw up in my mouth on the Whitesox talk podcast. LaRussa and Jerry bff forever story and riding off in the sunset together if they make it to the World Series. If that is what gets him the job because of Jerry’s hard on for him and he can’t put his friendship aside then Jerry has burned this rebuild before it even got off the ground. 

While I agree, LaRussa would be a terrible choice, I do think he would probably be better than had the Sox stuck with Ricky. He wouldn't be all hunched over during an entire playoff game. 

• Like 3

Just now, Dick Allen said:

While I agree, LaRussa would be a terrible choice, I do think he would probably be better than had the Sox stuck with Ricky. He wouldn't be all hunched over during an entire playoff game. 

Disagree. This is a lateral move at best. I was on the fire RR bandwagon all season long and was one of his biggest critics but he in my opinion is much much better option than LaRussa at this point. He has not managed since 2011, 76 years old, you really think he’s going to survive in the analytics/ metrics world nowadays? How do you think he’s going to react to the TA bat flips, bullpen management that made LaRussa so successful has changed over the past 9 years, I.e. 3 batter minimums. The game has simply evolved in my opinion way past his chapped ass ways.

• Thanks 1

How about another angle here.   If Jerry gets his guy you basically neuter Rick Hahn.   What if Larussa wants to win today and decides to go to Jerry and go all in and torch everything that was built to win today not for 4 more years.  Does Rick have a say?  How do you ever fire TLR.  How do you resolve any disputes when he can go to Dad and get you overruled.  This is a dangerous precedent.  

• Thanks 1

JR just needs to stay out of it and let his Front Office make the decisions like he did with the Bulls hire but when there is a friend involved and it’s his organization, he steps in and thinks it’s best for the organization to hire his friend instead of the best candidate for the job. I have a feeling Hahn wants his own guy for the job but he has no choice to please the boss upstairs and KW is kind of just stuck in the middle of it. The only way this is going to change is when JR steps down and new ownership comes in. 

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Thanks 1

I don’t want TLR, but the idea he couldn’t handle a brash, young team is wrong. He was in charge of the Bash Bros. In Oakland. That whole team was pretty wild. Like someone else said, he wouldn’t wilt in the playoffs (or down the stretch) like we just experienced.

Reading through Steve Stone’s Twitter replies, it seems like Hinch is the top candidate. He doesn’t rule out Bochy or TLR, but flat out says “No” to most other people mentioned.

21 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Disagree. This is a lateral move at best. I was on the fire RR bandwagon all season long and was one of his biggest critics but he in my opinion is much much better option than LaRussa at this point. He has not managed since 2011, 76 years old, you really think he’s going to survive in the analytics/ metrics world nowadays? How do you think he’s going to react to the TA bat flips, bullpen management that made LaRussa so successful has changed over the past 9 years, I.e. 3 batter minimums. The game has simply evolved in my opinion way past his chapped ass ways.

I don’t think the bat flips will bother him. He managed Rickey Henderson , Jose Canseco, and Dave Henderson, 3 of the biggest showboats whoever played. I don’t want him, if they hire him, I will think it’s a cruel joke, but as much as I don’t like him, he runs a game much better than Ricky.

• Like 1

I kinda agree with Chisoxfn on a couple points but also still do not want La Russa because of the odds the following will not happen.

I think some of the talk around "analytics" is embarrassing. People talk about it as if its a gene pool you are either a part of or not. To me there are problems with La Russa's age, but the bigger issue of La Russa era managers isn't use of analytics by them, it's control. If LaRussa comes in expecting to be the full manager of all on-field decisions, that's the problem.

If Tony LaRussa wants to join as a manager that is just a cog in the wheel of the decisionmaking and player development that happens with our players, that could be fine. He could hold players accountable and coaches accountable for following through on the direction set forth by management, PD and La Russa himself and that would be fine. Coaches more capable with technology can be in charge with implementing it and being responsible for teaching the players. La Russa wasn't going to be doing infield practice with the guys anyway.

An older manager could certainly do the above if they wanted to and he could very well be successful. I think he would manage the bullpen well. But the likelihood is TLR would get in the way of inputs from management and bring a staff that is less likely to use modern PD tools.

But he's old school and can't use analytics I think is ageism, honestly. THe issue is control. If he accepts that the use of technology as a teaching mechanism is important to the org adn the way it needs to go and is in charge of having people work on that, and that the front office, pd staff is a part of on field decisions, then he could be great.

But if he thinks he'll be the superstar manager of past, that owns the field and can tell the FO to get out of his way, that's not a good idea. If he was hired and we heard the above of what I pointed out above I'd be fine with the hire. He clearly has the ability to get a lot out of his players and can use his experience to prepare them mentally for the grind and expectations. But if he wants all of it, no thanks.

Obviously, that's where a Hinch or Quatraro, who are used to those expectations and know what to look for in coaches teaching players with technology, are ideal. You know what you are getting.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Pretty slow day so far.  No tweets or rumblings. I’m surprised that good Ole Bob doesn’t have anything to add. Maybe a sign things are calming down a bit.

People are saying that a deal is basically done with Hinch and they're just waiting to announce it.

All of this other chatter is probably just noise.

The general vibe of this feels a lot like when news leaked that the Bulls were going to keep Jim Boylen early after AK took over  and then went and signed Billy Donovan (Not comparing TLR to Boylen at all).  I am hoping this is more of the same and that we eventually make a signing we are happy with.

I still think it's Hinch. Especially after some of the tweets from Steve Stone over the last few days and his specific denials of everyone but Hinch (or LaRussa too). Plus, I think Steve is in the know whether his source are whitesox people or Hinch himself.  And Keuchel seems to be pretty excited too.

Edited by smellysox

IMO the TLR play was orchestrated brilliantly. Get the fan base confused, angry, talking about a 76 year old guy to deflect off the fact that they already have a deal in place with Hinch or a complete dark horse here that nobody is mentioning and everyone will be cool with. 

To move a polarizing figure like Hinch into the PR refresh he needs...throw another polarizing figure as an option for everyone to loudly oppose. Step 1 of recovery clears a hurdle. Plus, it makes Jerry feel like he helped a friend. If Kenny or RH orchestrated this...BRAVO. I tend to think PR people had to come up with this idea though, it's too smart. 

Edited by EloyJenkins
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

IMO the TLR play was orchestrated brilliantly. Get the fan base confused, angry, talking about a 76 year old guy to deflect off the fact that they already have a deal in place with Hinch or a complete dark horse here that nobody is mentioning and everyone will be cool with. 

To move a polarizing figure like Hinch into the PR refresh he needs...throw another polarizing figure as an option for everyone to loudly oppose. Step 1 of recovery clears a hurdle. Plus, it makes Jerry feel like he helped a friend. If Kenny or RH orchestrated this...BRAVO. I tend to think PR people had to come up with this idea though, it's too smart. 

This is actually what I think is happening as well. 

• Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic