Tony La Russa named Manager

YourWhatHurts

2 minutes ago, Sockin said:

Its because the belief that he is being hired based solely because he’s Jerry’s buddy and hasn’t the managed a modern team. It goes against everything the Hahn went out and said when they let go of Renteria. It’s Jerry dictating the team and it’s revolting. 

It's also because things change (the game itself has changed greatly) and TLR is a dinosaur. 

I listed out reasons a while ago where I think TLR would work and be fine. I really don't want to overrate manager. THere are some peculiar leaks on the decisionmaking I think are bad, and I think jr's tendency in running bulls and sox to have multiple power centers (strong GM, Managers, Presidents moving in separate directions rather than a top down approach that has worked in ...every other org) is a concern here. But it's not a guarantee that LaRussa means he expects to be the same "superstar" manager of old. He may like the idea of being just in charge of game day decisions with help from scouting staff, but not getting in the way of Player Dev and roster. If that's the case, then fine, it could be great, but it's likely just to be normal and we don't have to worry.

Truly believe that you can either have a bad manager or a manager. Francona only one that I think is truly a step above.

• Like 1

Just now, bmags said:

I listed out reasons a while ago where I think TLR would work and be fine. I really don't want to overrate manager...

[]

Truly believe that you can either have a bad manager or a manager. Francona only one that I think is truly a step above.

That's close to where I am.  TLR is not at the top of my list, but I thought we might get stuck with another season of Ricky.  (Almost) anyone on my list is a step up from where I was a few weeks ago.

I’m beyond the “this is a smokescreen” phase. I’m beyond the “Hahn operates in stealth mode “ phase.

if Tony is already recruiting a staff, he’s getting the job. There is no way Jerry is stringing along his 76 year old hall of Famer friend to not give him the job.

Just now, Orlando said:

I’m beyond the “this is a smokescreen” phase. I’m beyond the “Hahn operates in stealth mode “ phase.

if Tony is already recruiting a staff, he’s getting the job. There is no way Jerry is stringing along his 76 year old hall of Famer friend to not give him the job.

Also confirms Tony (and his family) wants the job, which wasn’t always a sure thing 

Just now, TheFutureIsNear said:

Am I crazy that I would have rather just stuck with Ricky than hire LaRussa? This is just madness by JR. Sorta kinda took a couple steps forward last off season with player acquisition... and now this off season we’re going to run backwards with an actual living dinosaur as coach 

Nah, Ricky proved he has no winning instincts down the stretch. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Am I crazy that I would have rather just stuck with Ricky than hire LaRussa? This is just madness by JR. Sorta kinda took a couple steps forward last off season with player acquisition... and now this off season we’re going to run backwards with an actual living dinosaur as coach 

With TLR there's a *risk* he'll be a poor manager because he's a dinosaur - despite having managed his way to three titles.  With Ricky it's a certainty that he was a poor manager.  With zero titles.  

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

That's close to where I am.  TLR is not at the top of my list, but I thought we might get stuck with another season of Ricky.  (Almost) anyone on my list is a step up from where I was a few weeks ago.

I'd rather have Ricky.  At least we know he can relate to minority players.

Just now, TheFutureIsNear said:

You are not crazy.  I would have rather kept RR and I think he is a terrible in-game manager.  UGH.

• Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic