Tony La Russa named Manager

YourWhatHurts

2 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

The only dynamic I'm worried about is La Russa/Anderson

I agree here, something tells me La Russa would not go for bat flips. He’s the poster boy for old school style baseball and it makes me sick thinking of him managing this team. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

You really don’t think JR would talk to Timmy, the face of the franchise, about this before hiring TLR?

If Jerry is dictating the hiring of a manager to his GM, I don’t think he’d give a rats ass about what his players think.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sockin said:

I agree here, something tells me La Russa would not go for bat flips. He’s the poster boy for old school style baseball and it makes me sick thinking of him managing this team. 

The architect of the BASH BROTHERS shit in Oakland wouldn't go for bat flips? Hell, he had guys shooting up in the clubhouse back then:(

30 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

30 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Omg now I can breathe. Not Steve Cishek says they are going to spend. He has an amazing track record so this was all I needed to love the La Russa news.

7 minutes ago, The Hawk said:

The architect of the BASH BROTHERS shit in Oakland wouldn't go for bat flips? Hell, he had guys shooting up in the clubhouse back then:(

Yes. Bash brothers, Dave and Rickey Henderson. Eck on the mound. Some of the biggest showboats of their era. I don't think TLR would be so opposed to bat flips as long as TA performs.  I wonder if Not Steve has the same source that told him LaRussa is nothing but a smokescreen telling him LaRussa would only manage if JR spends all of his money. LOL.

I don't agree with Ron on much, but he did hit the nail on the head. The Sox finally have the premium job available, and they are going to blow it on a 76 year old guy who hasn't managed since 2011? That is crazy.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

It’s obvious that JR wants his buddy, it’s his team and JR is getting old ands wants one more title before he passes. So he is reaching to his friend who is a hall of fame manager, used stats big time, speaks Spanish and a guy he regrets every firing. This is just about JR doing what he wants cause it’s his last hurrah. I also think there is little window room for error so they just might spend to make this all happen. Hope it plays out soon. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tray said:

If LaRussa is hired, Hahn will be on a short leash...and he won't have any leverage to fire LaRussa.  Anyway, there will be some changed dynamics in the organization, especially if LaRussa picks his own people

That is the thing. JR already regrets firing him once. He will never fire him again. They hire Tony, he manages as long as he wants, results be damned.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sockin said:

Bat flips, excessive celebrations, kneeling for the anthem, BLM patches on uniforms... etc.

16 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Given the heightened importance of contracts this year, that seems like a huge overpay for a deal with minimal surplus value. That said, I don't see Cohen cutting salary anyway

Think about what we got in return for Sale in comparison.  Yes, Moncada was a far better prospect than Vaughn, but Kopech’s value has skyrocketed since then so while this deGrom package would be light it’s not that far off.  However, the difference in surplus value given Sale’s contract is astronomical.  It would be a terrible trade for us IMO, especially in this economic environment.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Think about what we got in return for Sale in comparison.  Yes, Moncada was a far better prospect than Vaughn, but Kopech’s value has skyrocketed since then so while this deGrom package would be light it’s not that far off.  However, the difference in surplus value given Sale’s contract is astronomical.  It would be a terrible trade for us IMO, especially in this economic environment.

Has it? Between TJS, not pitching in 2 years, losing a full year+ of control, and personal stuff, it seems like his value has dropped considerably over the past year+. He was a top 30 prospect in MLB when we acquired him.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Bat flips, excessive celebrations, kneeling for the anthem, BLM patches on uniforms... etc.

Yup- and for the record I was more referring to the last couple of things when I brought this up. His original comments on it are from 2016, but he doubled down on them this year

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

The one thing that has changed big time in the last 7 months is the value of cash.  While I think the DeGrom stuff is no go with the new ownership. SPs with big contracts are probably a lot cheaper in terms of prospects than they were a year ago.  MLB just took $3 billion in losses, with a high probability of more losses on the horizon.

• Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic