Tony La Russa named Manager

YourWhatHurts

12 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He had never pitched above High A when we acquired him.  His value has probably slipped some over the past year, but he still has proven himself against upper minor competition and he showed his plus stuff was back when he was in spring training this year.  His value is definitely higher now then it was back then IMO.

I don't think that he has proven himself on anything other than he had a great arm before TJ surgery. Its frankly his ten cent head that I worry about. Frankly, this kid is facing a lot of  scrutiny next year all around.

I mean, a sizable portion of our fanbase would love to see Guillen back despite quiting on the team and generally being a selfish asshole near the end.  Not sure why a causal fan would hate us bringing in a Hall of Fame manger with past ties to the organization.  I think some of you are giving casual Sox fans too much credit here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I mean, a sizable portion of our fanbase would love to see Guillen back despite quiting on the team and generally being a selfish asshole near the end.  Not sure why a causal fan would hate us bringing in a Hall of Fame manger with past ties to the organization.  I think some of you are giving casual Sox fans too much credit here.

Because he's 103 years old and that's a number that even casual fans can see.  

I wonder if Hahn reads this message board to feel out the reactions of the fans. I bet he does. So based off all that and some reports out there saying that JR is the type of person that would let Hahn make the decision and wouldn’t interfere with the hire would make you believe that these are all rumors.

Edited by maloney.adam

This is really going to bother me if they hire LaRussa. While I think he'd be a better manager than Renteria, why wait until after the season to hire him when the suspensions of Hinch and Cora are done? While I don't want either of the 3, I'd much rather have Hinch if I had to choose.

5 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

I wonder if Hahn reads this message board to feel out the reactions of the fans. I bet he does. So based off all that and some reports out there saying that JR is the type of person that would let Hahn make the decision and wouldn’t interfere with the hire would make you believe that these are all rumors.

There is no way Rick Hahn is dumb enough to think this group of weirdos is representative of anything. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Orlando said:

I just want to brace everyone now with some cold truth. If the Sox hire La Russa, please, please, please do not feel the need to announce you are leaving the fanbase. So many of you did that after Machado and you are still here. No one cares.

Remember when some guy on here threw a tantrum and announced that he was becoming a Padres fan when the Machado news broke? Good times.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Orlando said:

I just want to brace everyone now with some cold truth. If the Sox hire La Russa, please, please, please do not feel the need to announce you are leaving the fanbase. So many of you did that after Machado and you are still here. No one cares.

Well, some relocated. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Remember when some guy on here threw a tantrum and announced that he was becoming a Padres fan when the Machado news broke? Good times.

There were so many of those guys that they all kind of blend in to one. Those were some dark days lol

I mean, this would just be a disastrous course for this team to take, giving the reins to a 76yo man who hasn't coached in over a decade.  Old men are naturally incorrigible creatures.  Think Hawk.  Hawk literally blew off all sabremetrics and tried to boil it all down to TWTW.  He was an old man and no one could tell him otherwise.  He didn't give a damn that younger fans wanted to hear about advanced stats during the broadcast, he didn't want to hear them.  He overvalued guys that he had close relationships with because he put trust over talent.  How many times did we have to hear him defend the play of a guy who just wasn't good at baseball?  

We're getting Hawk when we get TLR.  They're the same damn person.  Old, incorrigible, reluctant to change,  assholes.  How does Rick Hahn work with him?  Hell, how does Kenny work with him, for that matter?  All three men know that JR will side with TLR.  What hope do they have of convincing TLR of changes that need to be made, be it with personnel or roster construction?  

Will there be ANYONE on this coaching staff under 50yo that players can relate to?  The days of hard-headed asshole managers who refuse to cater to players' feelings are looonnngggg gone.  What FA wants to go play for an old grumpy motherfucker who will refuse to coddle them in any way whatsoever?  None.  No one.  

I'm livid this is anything more than a joke at this point.  When it was first rumored he'd be interviewed, I thought that it was just a made up story.  Now he's reached out to Dave Duncan?  FFS.  

We've waited SO LONG for this rebuild to be over and to compete and JR does THIS to us?  Seriously?!  Just fucking shoot me in the head.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Just now, mmmmmbeeer said:

I mean, this would just be a disastrous course for this team to take, giving the reins to a 76yo man who hasn't coached in over a decade.  Old men are naturally incorrigible creatures.  Think Hawk.  Hawk literally blew off all sabremetrics and tried to boil it all down to TWTW.  He was an old man and no one could tell him otherwise.  He didn't give a damn that younger fans wanted to hear about advanced stats during the broadcast, he didn't want to hear them.  He overvalued guys that he had close relationships with because he put trust over talent.  How many times did we have to hear him defend the play of a guy who just wasn't good at baseball?  

We're getting Hawk when we get TLR.  They're the same damn person.  Old, incorrigible, reluctant to change,  assholes.  How does Rick Hahn work with him?  Hell, how does Kenny work with him, for that matter?  All three men know that JR will side with TLR.  What hope do they have of convincing TLR of changes that need to be made, be it with personnel or roster construction?  

Will there be ANYONE on this coaching staff under 50yo that players can relate to?  The days of hard-headed asshole managers who refuse to cater to players' feelings are looonnngggg gone.  What FA wants to go play for an old grumpy motherfucker who will refuse to coddle them in any way whatsoever?  None.  No one.  

I'm livid this is anything more than a joke at this point.  When it was first rumored he'd be interviewed, I thought that it was just a made up story.  Now he's reached out to Dave Duncan?  FFS.  

We've waited SO LONG for this rebuild to be over and to compete and JR does THIS to us?  Seriously?!  Just fucking shoot me in the head.

I don't want TLR but to compare him to Hawk is funny. One is a hall of fame manager that has very recent front office experience and was always praised for being ahead of the competition, the other is Hawk.

1 minute ago, Orlando said:

I don't want TLR but to compare him to Hawk is funny. One is a hall of fame manager that has very recent front office experience and was always praised for being ahead of the competition, the other is Hawk.

I take it you haven't hung around many septuagenarians recently.  They're all the same once they reach that age.  Incorrigible assholes.  Often very likable people, until you try to tell them how they're wrong about something.

• Haha 2

• Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic