Tony La Russa named Manager

YourWhatHurts

9 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

TLR certainly wouldn't be my choice, but IDGAF who manages this team if the Sox go out and sign what they need to sign. 

Realistically, all of the top names have some warts.  No matter who they hire, a portion of the fanbase will be irate.  IMHO, pretty much anybody is better than Ricky.  I do worry about how TLR would relate to the Sox roster, but these guys are professionals and need to go out and do their job no matter who their manager is. 

absolutely.

Just now, Orlando said:

Here comes the Sox media showing us how great La Russa would be....

A full offseason (or longer, assuming another shortened season) of an anti-analytics crusade because of that Snell decision (which even analytics people don't support) is gonna be super annoying

35 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I am pretty disappointed if this is the hire, but I'm not despondent nor do I think this will be so detrimental that the team will not recover.  I just think that right now they should be hiring a guy theoretically for 5-10 years looking forward to come along with the team.  In five years Tony is 81, in 10 he is 86.   That's pretty old to be relating to these kids every day 

I think you missed the key point. In 5 years JR will be 89 and 10 years he will be 94. If JR made this decision, he could care less what happens in 5 years let alone 10. He wants to win 1 more time and in his mind, TLR is the quick fix. Many of us disagree, but it is his money and his time is running out. 

last 5 world series managers

Yes if analytics driven, no if not

Roberts - Yes
Cash - Yes

Martinez - Yes
Hinch - Yes

Cora - Yes
Roberts - Yes

Hinch - Yes
Roberts - Yes

Maddon - Yes
Francona - Yes

Sure is weird how guys that understand baseball so well keep getting shut out 🤷‍♂️

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

Isn't it like, so weird how both managers in the world series last night have made poor decisions because of "analytics" while all these smart gutsy managers were at home?

Its almost like the players are the ones that matter and having the most talent is what matters. 

Roberts is an idiot often because he's loyal to his guys.

Cash fcking plans the entire game at 2pm and doesn't deviate. I don't think Cash decision is defensible and I didn't think Roberts telling baez he was done and then not was defensible. End of the day though, the guys on the field decide it. 

Rays are playing tonight if that move isn't made though imo.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Roberts - Yes
Cash - Yes

Martinez - Yes
Hinch - Yes

Cora - Yes
Roberts - Yes

Hinch - Yes
Roberts - Yes

Maddon - Yes
Francona - Yes

Sure is weird how guys that understand baseball so well keep getting shut out 🤷‍♂️

Live look at guys who understand baseball:

3716858226_u3crHemT_a197c8ef5c535e34c66a

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Its almost like the players are the ones that matter and having the most talent is what matters. 

Cash fcking plans the entire game at 2pm and doesn't deviate. I don't think Cash decision is defensible and I didn't think Roberts telling baez he was done and then not was defensible. End of the day though, the guys on the field decide it. 

So what you're saying is managers DO matter?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Roberts - Yes
Cash - Yes

Martinez - Yes
Hinch - Yes

Cora - Yes
Roberts - Yes

Hinch - Yes
Roberts - Yes

Maddon - Yes
Francona - Yes

Francona, Maddon, and Roberts being considered analytics guys is kind of nonsense. They definitely listen, and follow direction from analytical front offices, but Maddon, Roberts and Terry all give their guys more leash and use their feel plenty 

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I don't know, we can't script games exactly but I still think Dodgers eventually get to Snell while I just don't see rays scraping enough offense.

But yeah - don't pull snell.

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Francona, Maddon, and Roberts being considered analytics guys is kind of nonsense. They definitely listen, and follow direction from analytical front offices, but Maddon, Roberts and Terry all give their guys more leash and use their feel plenty 

Yeah there are degrees here, no question, but we are comparing it to a lot of brouhaha from Ozzie and then La Russa's quote about how analytics stop once the game begins. All of them, as seen by the orgs they are in, use analytics in the game for a lot of decisions on defense and matchups.

12 minutes ago, bmags said:

Isn't it like, so weird how both managers in the world series last night have made poor decisions because of "analytics" while all these smart gutsy managers were at home?

Weren't people just saying two weeks ago that Dave Roberts is a terrible manager though and should be fired? I also think whoever gets our job will be asked to embrace today's game. Our FO isn't stupid, they know the ins and outs of these guys. We need a manager that will not make blatantly dumb calls and moves. We need a guy that will put us in the best position to win and has won before. Hinch, Bochy, TLR are the guys for me. 

8 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

no, because if roberts doesn't f up the baez move, the series was already over imo too.

At the end of the day the players decided it and the better team won.

I agree with this mostly for the regular season though. During the season things average out and good managers are about the same in terms of impact, talent takes over from there. In the playoffs however, managerial decisions become very important because you can't afford to lose games. One bad decision can cost you a win, series, or the title. 

14 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This is just so difficult to say.  They were up a whole 1-0 when that move was made and Snell wasn't going 9.  Cash's decision making there was clearly wrong but who knows what would have happened if he kept with Snell.

10 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don't know, we can't script games exactly but I still think Dodgers eventually get to Snell while I just don't see rays scraping enough offense.

But yeah - don't pull snell.

Agree. Dodger lineup was bound to catch a mistake like Betts did later on.  Snell probably should have stayed but the next 3 batters were all big time threats

21 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

It's annoying already. 

I don't get this - TLR isn't anti analytics and he isn't anti-excitement.  None of those are routed in truth.  Now he is going to mix what a player is looking like that specific day with the analytics.  The combination of the two. Maybe the analytics say pull Snell because of X, but maybe Tony says, look at his stuff today, it is plus plus, that was just a mistake an aberration and thus I'm going to stick with the guy who is looking unbelievable tonight.  

The above is not being anti-analytics, it is just taking and leveraging other data points into the overall consideration. Call it what you will, but I don't think it is a bad idea.  The opposite would be said of a situation where the analytics say keep going, but you are watching a guy just hit into consistent hard hit out after hard hit out. Analytics say don't pull him - but mgr says nope, you are done, I can see you don't have it today, appreciate your grit to grind this out, but now we are going in another direction.  

• Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic