Tony La Russa named Manager

YourWhatHurts

2 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

Ya, I guess I have 0 clue how hiring TLR is going to change the direction of some free agents.  That is a huge fuckin deal.

I think it helps because Jerry will spend to support his guy. He’s not going to let his pick end up with a bullpen game in game 3 of the postseason 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

You think TA is going to be cool with his manager telling him he should just head back to the clubhouse if he dares to kneel for the anthem (as he did this season)?  Or am I just someone who "hates conservatives"?

Man, y'all are such fucking snowflakes.

moving goalposts. is it MAGA loving people you're concerned about or people against kneeling? 

These are not the same thing. 

6 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

I don’t think it’s Hinch or LaRussa

Is there a press conference scheduled for Thursday or is all of this based on the rumors. I'd like to think you are right and I'd prefer neither but I'm not running the ship and I learned a long time ago to say I disagree and then wait to see how it all plays out. There's a lot of reasons not to like either one and a quick announcement just screams lack of vision moving forward and that usually is not something to look forward to but I'll leave the door open that in a year or 2 I could be wrong.

Just now, Tony said:

You’re missing the bigger point. He didn’t need to say it. Stop acting like he did, or it was “by design” 

He wasn’t throwing anyone off the scent of La Russa, he wasn’t doing it so he could walk it back later. He got specific about what he was looking for in a manager when he didn’t need to. That’s significant, especially when 99 people out of 100 wouldn’t consider Tony La Russa having “recent” success.

Tony, I get it. I am not arguing what hahn said and didn't say. I am stating that Rick Hahn is clearly on board and there's no chance he didn't know about larussa when they fired ricky.

If you think there's some grand conspiracy that he was lashing out against the move when talking to the media, i just dont buy it.

Hahn always says the right thing. What he says and what he does are not the same things. He is complicit if the sox hire larussa. Obsolving him of all responsibility is just insane to me.

10 minutes ago, ChiSox1917 said:

This myth that la russa is anti-stats really needs to stop

as for the rest, just admit youre a liberal and hate conservatives. Most people get along just fine with political differences. Only nutjobs dont

Yeah because an 80 year old man telling the 4 most important players on the White Sox to go kneel in the clubhouse will go over just fine. Everyone with political differences will just get along. Wake up. This is the real world not some fake utopia where that would go over well.

Edited by Orlando
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Orlando said:

Yeah because an 80 year old man telling the 4 most important players on the White Sox to go kneel in the clubhouse will go over just fine. Everyone with political differences will just get along. Wake up. This is the real world not some fake utopia where that would go over well.

I bet they talk it out like strong men.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tony said:

I didn’t say anything of the sort. I don’t believe there is some massive power struggle going on in the front office. 

My objection to what you said was “Hahn tells you what you want to hear without saying anything...”

That wasn’t the case here in the presser, it just wasn’t. He could have played the world salad game and listed off all these intangibles that he wants from a manager, which would leave us no clues. Fine, that’s to be expected. But he didn’t. He got specific. And based on the specifics he gave us...Tony isn’t that. So why did he say it? I’m not saying Rick isn’t on board with this...but if they hire Tony (which based on reports that seems likely and it would also tell us they didn’t even interview Hinch) then what Rick told us doesn’t match up. 

Do you forget that we're all die-hard fans on Soxtalk?  Why are you trying to bullshit us with your contrarian soliloquies?

4 minutes ago, Orlando said:

In the real world, people with political differences get along and work with each other day to day just fine. 

My take FWIW ...

Obsessive Sox fan for 55+ years. Didn't love LaRussa first go around, although loved that 1983 team and the way the pitching staff dominated baseball the second half of the regular season. Felt he was a good X and O guy, the partnership with Duncan helped him a lot, but intuited and some insider press pals confirmed that his clubhouse schtick as the detached resident genius rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.

Not at all happy that THAT GUY (and I never warmed up to his act with the A's and Cardinals) -- who has been away from a dugout for a decade, and a decade where tech and personality has dramatically altered the game -- could be considered a leading candidate by anyone. Why? There are so many others!

That said, I never bought and would be incredibly surprised if the the Reinsdorf owned Sox EVER considered Hinch or Cora. The point can be and already has been debated ad nauseam but why hire guys fresh off a scandal like that? In many people's eyes a truly big scandal? And to do it that soon? And by a team that already has a scandal in its history that mocks the team name (obviously I'm talking Black Sox).

I think we're seeing a few things coming together here and it's not simply a TLR hire in the conventional sense. I think Hinch and Cora were never going to be considered. I think Bochy likely got some discussion, but for whatever reason (likely JR), TLR was preferred. But a common characteristic of Reinsdorf owned sports teams is getting too cute by half, thinking they're going to come up with clever ideas that will revolutionize the game and elicit wows.

Specifically -- I think they LOVE whiz-kid manager Justin Jirschele, want him for the long-haul, but realize that they can't throw him into the fire with no big league experience. So, the "we're smarter than everyone else" boys decide they are going to bring TLR and all of his supposed genius out of mothballs, surgically attach JJ to Tony's hip as Assistant Manager (NOT Bench Coach because a Bench Coach has too many specific real Bench Coach duties which would prevent full time learning from the grizzled old manager), with the thought that in Year 1 it would be TLR as Mgr and JJ as Asst-Mgr, but in Year 2 (or 3) it would flip and it would be JJ as Mgr with Tony as Asst-Mgr (or Mgr-Emeritus).

One consistent fan thing (here and elsewhere) is to assume that the guys in charge can't see obvious things that we as fans see. These aren't stupid people. The more plausible explanation to me is that they are the opposite -- people who think they are just a wee bit smarter than they actually are. I can totally see the plan I mentioned as their thought process -- or a somewhat similar plan. If it's TLR, there's just no way that it's a straight-forward conventional hiring of a retread manager hire. Just don't see that, but looks like we'll know in short order.

And edit: I would hate a pure TLR hire ... because, "why?" But I don't hate the idea of creating an apprentice situation for JJ -- who I think has all sorts of potential and the industry seems to think so as well.'

Edited by CyAcosta41
Forgot to add one thing
  • Like 4

I find the TLR is racist story to be a fascinating one. There are certainly a few black players who feel that way... and thats some serious smoke. There are also a lot of players in general who hated Tony.

But Jerry has never been classified as anything of the sorts, and why would Kenny be on board of TLR had these ignorant views? The entire thing is weird 

I think Tony is a self absorbed ass hat who likely has some innate racial bias, but I'm not sure he's the kind of guy who wouldn't listen to his guys on a topic like that. I also don't think he'd send anyone to the dugout and Kenny Williams and the sox certainly wouldn't put up with it... would they?

Man, it's brutal to even have to speculate this BS about a managerial hire in 2020. That's what makes it feel so dirty and bad. I can handle being a cheap shitty organization who treats their employees well and aren't racist dick weeds. Idk how I would deal with handling an underachieving team led by a bigoted doucher causing a clubhouse implosion. Although I'd pay a lot of money to see timmy give TLR a quick little backhand.

1 minute ago, ChiSox1917 said:

I can't wait to bring this thread back to the front page when La Russa wins the World Series and him and Tim Anderson hug each other holding up the trophy

I hope that happens, because Anderson demanding a trade because TLR tells him to take his kneeling act into the clubhouse is another possibility. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, bmags said:

Yeah this. It is the open thing now so obviously we are focusing on it, but it’s just a manager.

I agree with this a lot but I can always in my mind come up with something against the general consensus that managers don't win or lose a lot of games for you. Every decision has a consequence that no one can see it's true effects. Maybe it's a ripple that fades into still waters or maybe that ripple becomes a tidal wave. Can a show of confidence or lack thereof in a young player turn a career around that turns a team around ? Generally that answer is no but you just never know. Probably watched It's a Wonderful Life one too many times growing up .

• Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic