Tony La Russa named Manager

YourWhatHurts

6 minutes ago, CyAcosta41 said:

My take FWIW ...

Obsessive Sox fan for 55+ years. Didn't love LaRussa first go around, although loved that 1983 team and the way the pitching staff dominated baseball the second half of the regular season. Felt he was a good X and O guy, the partnership with Duncan helped him a lot, but intuited and some insider press pals confirmed that his clubhouse schtick as the detached resident genius rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.

Not at all happy that THAT GUY (and I never warmed up to his act with the A's and Cardinals) -- who has been away from a dugout for a decade, and a decade where tech and personality has dramatically altered the game -- could be considered a leading candidate by anyone. Why? There are so many others!

That said, I never bought and would be incredibly surprised if the the Reinsdorf owned Sox EVER considered Hinch or Cora. The point can be and already has been debated ad nauseam but why hire guys fresh off a scandal like that? In many people's eyes a truly big scandal? And to do it that soon? And by a team that already has a scandal in its history that mocks the team name (obviously I'm talking Black Sox).

I think we're seeing a few things coming together here and it's not simply a TLR hire in the conventional sense. I think Hinch and Cora were never going to be considered. I think Bochy likely got some discussion, but for whatever reason (likely JR), TLR was preferred. But a common characteristic of Reinsdorf owned sports teams is getting too cute by half, thinking they're going to come up with clever ideas that will revolutionize the game and elicit wows.

Specifically -- I think they LOVE whiz-kid manager Justin Jirschele, want him for the long-haul, but realize that they can't throw him into the fire with no big league experience. So, the "we're smarter than everyone else" boys decide they are going to bring TLR and all of his supposed genius out of mothballs, surgically attach JJ to Tony's hip as Assistant Manager (NOT Bench Coach because a Bench Coach has too many specific real Bench Coach duties which would prevent full time learning from the grizzled old manager), with the thought that in Year 1 it would be TLR as Mgr and JJ as Asst-Mgr, but in Year 2 (or 3) it would flip and it would be JJ as Mgr with Tony as Asst-Mgr (or Mgr-Emeritus).

One consistent fan thing (here and elsewhere) is to assume that the guys in charge can't see obvious things that we as fans see. These aren't stupid people. The more plausible explanation to me is that they are the opposite -- people who think they are just a wee bit smarter than they actually are. I can totally see the plan I mentioned as their thought process -- or a somewhat similar plan. If it's TLR, there's just no way that it's a straight-forward conventional hiring of a retread manager hire. Just don't see that, but looks like we'll know in short order.

And edit: I would hate a pure TLR hire ... because, "why?" But I don't hate the idea of creating an apprentice situation for JJ -- who I think has all sorts of potential and the industry seems to think so as well.'

Good stuff. There are certainly ways to make this work, I just worry about TLRs ego in actually accepting it.

1 minute ago, Tony said:

This is where I’m putting at least some blind faith into the Sox. They simply can’t bring in TLR without discussing this and getting the green light from the core. Can’t do it. 

If we hear objections from the players when this is announced.....my faith will truly be gone. 

Agreed. I have to believe this has been discussed with TA. Perhaps TA even met with TLR. 

7 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I find the TLR is racist story to be a fascinating one. There are certainly a few black players who feel that way... and thats some serious smoke. There are also a lot of players in general who hated Tony.

But Jerry has never been classified as anything of the sorts, and why would Kenny be on board of TLR had these ignorant views? The entire thing is weird 

I think Tony is a self absorbed ass hat who likely has some innate racial bias, but I'm not sure he's the kind of guy who wouldn't listen to his guys on a topic like that. I also don't think he'd send anyone to the dugout and Kenny Williams and the sox certainly wouldn't put up with it... would they?

Man, it's brutal to even have to speculate this BS about a managerial hire in 2020. That's what makes it feel so dirty and bad. I can handle being a cheap shitty organization who treats their employees well and aren't racist dick weeds. Idk how I would deal with handling an underachieving team led by a bigoted doucher causing a clubhouse implosion. Although I'd pay a lot of money to see timmy give TLR a quick little backhand.

Nailed it. Tweet it everywhere . Maybe leave out the part about violence from TA though.

18 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Tony, I get it. I am not arguing what hahn said and didn't say. I am stating that Rick Hahn is clearly on board and there's no chance he didn't know about larussa when they fired ricky.

If you think there's some grand conspiracy that he was lashing out against the move when talking to the media, i just dont buy it.

Hahn always says the right thing. What he says and what he does are not the same things. He is complicit if the sox hire larussa. Obsolving him of all responsibility is just insane to me.

I have no idea what you are talking about.  It’s pretty clear Hahn had a specific type of manager in mind and since then (if rumors are true) Jerry has pushed for La Russa.  I will wager large sums of money Hahn did not have TLR on his short list for the job when he had his end of season press conference.  Now, he may roll over and take one on the chin here, but there is zero reason to believe he’s complicit in this decision if it ends up happening.  Not sure why you think he’d be ok with La Russa hiring when it’s literally the worst possible outcome for him.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

I have no idea what you are talking about.  It’s pretty clear Hahn had a specific type of manager in mind and since then (if rumors are true) Jerry has pushed for La Russa.  I will wager large sums of money Hahn did not have TLR on his short list for the job when he had his end of season press conference.  Now, he may roll over and take one on the chin here, but there is zero reason to believe he’s complicit in this decision if it ends up happening.  Not sure why you think he’d be ok with La Russa hiring when it’s literally the worst possible outcome for him.

This is like the VP of HR at a company saying sure the best candidate for the job was Billy, the 24 year old new VP of Sales who happens to have the same last name as the owner of the company.  Maybe he is the best candidate for the job, but in reality its probably because the owner just got his way.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

how the tides have turned my friend.

He'd be OK with it because HE made it. You turning into a little rick hahn Jr? Because I've already got that title locked up so you gotta be rick hahn III. Maybe since I'm lashing out against dad right now, you'll become the new Jr! 

All jokes aside, I just dont buy that hahn is against it adamantly and Jerry is telling him to fuck off. Exactly as you said earlier, its never happened why would it start now?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Would Hinch cost more than La Russa?  And is the coward thing him being afraid to hire a guy who cheated?

Yeah. He's afraid to hire Hinch because of the "cheating scandal". Jerry Reinsdorf is a fucking coward. A short-sighted one at that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, HOFHurt35 said:

I was shocked Renteria was fired after the way the FO would talk him up plus finally getting to the postseason.  But maybe this only happened for one guy only and that is Tony LaRussa.  

this is also my thought. Rick wanted renteria gone. He was owed money. He could only move on if he brought in someone jerry would trust to be around. Hahn picked TLR. Jerry got a chubby. Fans were forced to buy viagara. Story over.

1 minute ago, HOFHurt35 said:

I was shocked Renteria was fired after the way the FO would talk him up plus finally getting to the postseason.  But maybe this only happened for one guy only and that is Tony LaRussa.  

The cooper firing at the same time now makes sense.  Clearing space for Duncan.  

11 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think JR interfered with the process and got his way. Hahn got caught up in the middle of it unfortunately. However, usually when things like this happen the person that got caught up in the middle of it ends up being the person that is angry and leaves eventually because they don’t want to put up with it.
Edited by maloney.adam
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Yeah. He's afraid to hire Hinch because of the "cheating scandal". Jerry Reinsdorf is a fucking coward. A short-sighted one at that. 

Wow, I kind of like this from Jerry. Take a stand against that BS, im good with it.

Problem is then turning around and hiring baseballs biggest supplier of "vitamins."

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

this is also my thought. Rick wanted renteria gone. He was owed money. He could only move on if he brought in someone jerry would trust to be around. Hahn picked TLR. Jerry got a chubby. Fans were forced to buy viagara. Story over.

Hahn didn't pick La Russa. That's not true at all. Hahn got his nuts cut off and he should go elsewhere ASAP. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

Just now, maloney.adam said:

I think JR interfered with the process and got his way. Hahn got caught up in the middle of it unfortunately. However, usually when things like this happen the person that got caught up in the middle of it ends up being the person that is angry and leaves eventually because they don’t want to put up with it.

Well unless JR is immortal this type of nonsense will self correct.  See Blackhawks.  

Nightengale listed Tony as the prime candidate a few hours after the conference call. This didn’t come out of the blue. My theory is JR wanted Tony and Hahn preferred Hinch. Tony would be given an interview to see how everyone would mesh. Tony aced the interview and Hahn supported Jerry’s decision.

• Thanks 1

Hahn didn't pick La Russa. That's not true at all. Hahn got his nuts cut off and he should go elsewhere ASAP. 

Just not buying it Jimmy. Firing Renteria was so out of the ordinary for this team. Just to do that alone says things were different. To do that only to turn around and ignore hahn just doesn't make sense. And I have NO idea why you think its a cowardly move not to hire a guy who took zero responsibility for cheating that happened in front of his face.

So Hahn is gonna leave a great team and money to go somewhere else and not have loyalty of FO or great team he built? Because a very successful manager could help us win? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Nightengale listed Tony as the prime candidate a few hours after the conference call. This didn’t come out of the blue. My theory is JR wanted Tony and Hahn preferred Hinch. Tony would be given an interview to see how everyone would mesh. Tony aced the interview and Hahn supported Jerry’s decision.

I like this too. This adds up.

Just now, fathom said:

I would amend this to say, Hahn was told to interview him.  And TLR said he had the passion back.  JR then stepped in and sealed it.  Hahn didnt object.  Hahn likes getting paid for work.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Wow, I kind of like this from Jerry. Take a stand against that BS, im good with it.

Problem is then turning around and hiring baseballs biggest supplier of "vitamins."

I wanted Hinch but yeah, pretending like La Russa is some beacon of morality is laughable. I don't see why they couldn't have looked at other candidates more extensively

• Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic