Tony La Russa named Manager

YourWhatHurts

I still think every poster blowing up over TLR needs to calm down. He isn't anti analytics (maybe in-game use he is more against - but I don't think that means he's just going to ignore the splits and bring in a righty just because).  I don't really think of that as an in-game analytic - that is all pre game prep, you know exactly what the splits say and you have an idea of how you are going to operate.  

Where he likely throws the splits out - if a guy has 3 hits and has a great swing, maybe he won't pull him against the pitcher he has struggled again coming in from relief - trust the eye test that the guy is having a great game and should stick in.  Similarly - if a Gio is kicking butt, just because a guy is up who mashes lefties, maybe you stick with him vs. going to your Loogy in the 6th inning.  

On the politics front - I think a lot of people here are jumping to a ton of conclusions based upon nothing they factually know. It is to some extent, downright crazy. I don't know Tony and he is entitled to various view points.  I don't know if his views on certain topics have changed/haven't, but the important thing to me is can he respect others opinions and can the lockeroom do that. Lockerooms are going to be full of Trump fans and Biden fans too - lets not forget that (guaranteed - lets not pretend different - this is the real world).  I also don't believe the Sox would hire TLR without asking their players there views and I don't honestly think players look into things the way the STers are doing right now. I think most players questions will be - okay, he's old, how much has he kept up with the game and on the flip slide, every damn player is going to know - this guy is a HOF Mgr - that says something - period.  There is no legitimate baseball reason to say TLR is a crappy manager - NONE.  

On the FA front - seriously - for everyone whining about TLR impacting FA's, Hinch was a cheater and half the league was pissed at it (and yes TLR condoned cheating too - but his cheating the whole darn league was doing - so in some ways it is different, doesn't make it right, just different).  

So many false narratives and overreactions on here.  It is just crazy how much everyone has overthought this. Again - I don't love the hire, but I actually think it is more likely this is a good thing and an indicator that JR, TLR, RH and KW have all agreed - we are going to go all in and JR / TLR in particular want to win some rings as part of their lasting legacies & I am going to imagine we see an ultra aggressive front office as it relates to the off-season (and no I don't think TLR as a mgr is going to get in the way of anything - I don't know that it helps but it won't hurt).  

I also don't think Hinch is an amazing hire either - in fact I don't think if I had a choice I'd hire Cora, Hinch or TLR, but I'd probably take TLR over the other two (and the only thing I really hold against TLR is his age and fact there is a legit chance he just doesn't have the energy to do it - no matter if the passion is there).  

And last and just as important - this is the MGR - RELAX - the key to this offseason is rotation - both bolstering the front end and establishing depth. Period. I could give a rip about RF or anything else - this off-season is pitching, pitching, and more pitching and I expect aggression in FA and on the trade front.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jerry Reinsdorf has been the owner for 40 years now, and his record and the narrative over those four decades is not good, not good at all, on and off the field.

His overall legacy as owner of the White Sox will end up having to rely on the success of this current team team that was rebuilt on his watch.  He needs this team to do what no other team in the past 40 years has done (or ever, for that matter), which is to go on a sustained run of success that hopefully results in a championship or two.  

In the meantime, he’s obviously hoping that a feel-good bromance story of he and LaRussa coming back together after all these years and winning those championships together will soften how history eventually looks at and assesses his time as owner.  Probably a little too late no matter how things turn out in these next few years, but it would appear Reinsdorf is anxious to give it a shot.  

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

On the politics front - I think a lot of people here are jumping to a ton of conclusions based upon nothing they factually know. It is to some extent, downright crazy. I don't know Tony and he is entitled to various view points.  I don't know if his views on certain topics have changed/haven't, but the important thing to me is can he respect others opinions and can the lockeroom do that. Lockerooms are going to be full of Trump fans and Biden fans too - lets not forget that (guaranteed - lets not pretend different - this is the real world).  I also don't believe the Sox would hire TLR without asking their players there views and I don't honestly think players look into things the way the STers are doing right now. I think most players questions will be - okay, he's old, how much has he kept up with the game and on the flip slide, every damn player is going to know - this guy is a HOF Mgr - that says something - period.  There is no legitimate baseball reason to say TLR is a crappy manager - NONE.  

I think the disconnect here is that TLR has literally said that any player who kneels during the anthem will get sent into the clubhouse. That's a lot different from a simple disagreement because it would lead to an unnecessary and avoidable fiasco 

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

I think the disconnect here is that TLR has literally said that any player who kneels during the anthem will get sent into the clubhouse. That's a lot different from a simple disagreement because it would lead to an unnecessary and avoidable fiasco 

We haven't seen what he would do as the actual mgr and having actually talked with his players on the subject (maybe RH and JR and KW already talked about this in the interview - in fact I would be surprised if they didn't talk about some of this stuff - and maybe they got an answer that they could accept (I don't know).  I'd also caveat I think TLR's statement came in February. We could say he shouldn't have made that statement than (and I 100% support any individuals choice around the flat - that includes someone who opts to burn the flag for whatever reason (I don't like someone burning the flag - but I respect their right to do it).

But a lot has changed on this topic since Feb 2020 (TLR's view might have been the minority, but I think the overall population was still more mixed than) - that stance has shifted dramatically given all of the events that have taken place during 2020.  I'd still say TLR is entitled to his opinion and I don't believe someone who says it is disrespectful to the flag is necessarily wrong (I don't personally believe it) - but I respect the viewpoint and I don't find it racist. 

One can stand for the flag, yet respect someone elses right to kneel for it and even disagree with their choice of action, yet still stand for the overall cause around nipping racism in the butt.  

56 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Cool. High five to you. Always hilarious when people get defensive like this. Jimmy, you been telling people for weeks it would be hinch. Now its not, but we should listen to the insider info still and buy the new spin? 

Is the info good or is it not? You have every reason in the world to say hahn wanted hinch and was overruled. You reported it would be hinch. Its not. Churn churn.

Jimmy's 'insider info' is spotty at best when it comes to the MLB club

• Love 1

28 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

We haven't seen what he would do as the actual mgr and having actually talked with his players on the subject (maybe RH and JR and KW already talked about this in the interview - in fact I would be surprised if they didn't talk about some of this stuff - and maybe they got an answer that they could accept (I don't know).  I'd also caveat I think TLR's statement came in February. We could say he shouldn't have made that statement than (and I 100% support any individuals choice around the flat - that includes someone who opts to burn the flag for whatever reason (I don't like someone burning the flag - but I respect their right to do it).

But a lot has changed on this topic since Feb 2020 (TLR's view might have been the minority, but I think the overall population was still more mixed than) - that stance has shifted dramatically given all of the events that have taken place during 2020.  I'd still say TLR is entitled to his opinion and I don't believe someone who says it is disrespectful to the flag is necessarily wrong (I don't personally believe it) - but I respect the viewpoint and I don't find it racist. 

One can stand for the flag, yet respect someone elses right to kneel for it and even disagree with their choice of action, yet still stand for the overall cause around nipping racism in the butt.  

I'm going to say this one time as to not derail.

People who have a problem with how oppressed people protest do NOT actually have a problem with the method of protest; they very obviously have a problem with the cause and message and hide behind a distaste for the method.

No one who understands someone's pain and struggle, or wants to understand, says i care but only if you explain in a convenient and comfortable way for me. No one who empathizes refuses to actually understand the why.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 4

50 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Nothing Jimmy has said isn’t true.  He said Hinch would be the guy because that’s who Hahn wanted and blatantly described at his end of season press conference.  How would have known Jerry would supersede him and give his buddy the job as part of some late life crisis?  It’s literally never happened in his career as owner of the Sox or Bulls.

Furthermore, there is no one on the internet who has a better track record when it comes to inside information relating to the White Sox.  If Jimmy says that Hahn got overruled here when at the same time all logic suggests a La Russa hiring would not be ideal for Hahn, I think it’s pretty easy to believe what’s he saying.  Jimmy literally has no agenda here, he’s simply sharing what he knows.

Except he's admitting he has no insider info on the situation and his tirade is based entirely on very sketchy public smoke that we're all seeing. His whole "Hahn got his balls cut off" scenario is entirely speculation.

I honest to God can not remember ever being this discouraged as a Sox fan — and my Dad had season tickets to the 1976 Sox when I was a kid.  If they hire La Russa, I have no idea what I’ll do. Probably just step back from following the team and posting here for awhile.  Might switch to following a different team or something. The whole thing just sucks. So glad I stuck by the team through the rebuild so it can be turned over to that divisive, egotistical jerk.  Well, I guess thank God they traded Tatis Jr. because no way would Tony have approved of him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

I honest to God can not remember ever being this discouraged as a Sox fan — and my Dad had season tickets to the 1976 Sox when I was a kid.  If they hire La Russa, I have no idea what I’ll do. Probably just step back from following the team and posting here for awhile.  Might switch to following a different team or something. The whole thing just sucks. So glad I stuck by the team through the rebuild so it can be turned over to that divisive, egotistical jerk.  Well, I guess thank God they traded Tatis Jr. because no way would Tony have approved of him.

Tony has turned into the Boogeyman 

• Haha 1

This is idiotic. There is no way this is Hahn move.

Saying that, I welcome the meltdowns of idiots on the Score like Dan Bernstein who will be calling him a racist, etc. Makes me like the hire to hear those nuts lose their minds.

From a White Sox perspective, this is a 100% JR move. They have made a lot of good  move to get to this point. There is no way Hahn would have ever landed on La Russa. Clearly not his selection. It may not matter if this team is as good as we expect it to be next season and the manager just needs to not mess things up, but very discouraging to see moves made like this. Makes you wonder what Hahn will be able to do with the team in a year with no revenues coming in.

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

if Jerry said I'm all in, go get your guys this off season rick - break the bank, but I want a guy I trust overseeing the manager spot. 

Would people be angry that rick jumped all in?

I legit think this is what happened - and I don't think JR even said you have to take my guy - I think he literally said - you need to talk to my guy. RH and KW did and they said - okay he's still got the passion and he's obviously a darn good Mgr. Lets do this.  

10 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I legit think this is what happened - and I don't think JR even said you have to take my guy - I think he literally said - you need to talk to my guy. RH and KW did and they said - okay he's still got the passion and he's obviously a darn good Mgr. Lets do this.  

With the racism angle... no one has stopped to think that KW interviewed him... you’d think if he was racist that KW would have not been on board.

Really think that’s overblown but don’t know the guy. So... yea.

25 minutes ago, spiderman said:

This is idiotic. There is no way this is Hahn move.

Saying that, I welcome the meltdowns of idiots on the Score like Dan Bernstein who will be calling him a racist, etc. Makes me like the hire to hear those nuts lose their minds.

From a White Sox perspective, this is a 100% JR move. They have made a lot of good  move to get to this point. There is no way Hahn would have ever landed on La Russa. Clearly not his selection. It may not matter if this team is as good as we expect it to be next season and the manager just needs to not mess things up, but very discouraging to see moves made like this. Makes you wonder what Hahn will be able to do with the team in a year with no revenues coming in.

"This move is terrible for the team, but since it makes the liberals mad I like it!!"

Do you realize how dumb that is?

Edited by Yearnin' for Yermin

• Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic