Tony La Russa named Manager

YourWhatHurts

37 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

For La Russa to make any sense we would need Justin Jirschele or Sam Fuld as bench coach and Matt Zaleski as pitching coach.  From there, we need a commitment to expand payroll.  If those were to happen, I wouldn’t be that upset about La Russa being manager for two years.

That being said, I’m still going down with the ship on A.J. Hinch and that all this La Russa “smoke” is simply misdirection.

I just don’t see how JR will spend more money because LaRussa is managing. I think that is just not Steve Cishek trying to sound relevant after being so wrong again.

No one should forget on the day we were all shocked RR was given the pink slip, Bob Nightengale had TLR as the favorite. It was his job if he wanted it. He was correct. Everyone who mocked him was wrong.

8 hours ago, ChiSox1917 said:

This myth that la russa is anti-stats really needs to stop

as for the rest, just admit youre a liberal and hate conservatives. Most people get along just fine with political differences. Only nutjobs dont

The problem is it is Tony's own words that are doing this.

8 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I find the TLR is racist story to be a fascinating one. There are certainly a few black players who feel that way... and thats some serious smoke. There are also a lot of players in general who hated Tony.

But Jerry has never been classified as anything of the sorts, and why would Kenny be on board of TLR had these ignorant views? The entire thing is weird 

I think Tony is a self absorbed ass hat who likely has some innate racial bias, but I'm not sure he's the kind of guy who wouldn't listen to his guys on a topic like that. I also don't think he'd send anyone to the dugout and Kenny Williams and the sox certainly wouldn't put up with it... would they?

Man, it's brutal to even have to speculate this BS about a managerial hire in 2020. That's what makes it feel so dirty and bad. I can handle being a cheap shitty organization who treats their employees well and aren't racist dick weeds. Idk how I would deal with handling an underachieving team led by a bigoted doucher causing a clubhouse implosion. Although I'd pay a lot of money to see timmy give TLR a quick little backhand.

Jerry doesn't have to see it for it to be happening.  And who said Kenny is on board?

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I just don’t see how JR will spend more money because LaRussa is managing. I think that is just not Steve Cishek trying to sound relevant after being so wrong again.

No one should forget on the day we were all shocked RR was given the pink slip, Bob Nightengale had TLR as the favorite. It was his job if he wanted it. He was correct. Everyone who mocked him was wrong.

I doubt it was an explicit trade-off. I can see this meaning JR is very excited, and if JR is excited I think he'll be able to stretch and find ways to make money work. 

7 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

I think the disconnect here is that TLR has literally said that any player who kneels during the anthem will get sent into the clubhouse. That's a lot different from a simple disagreement because it would lead to an unnecessary and avoidable fiasco 

This.  And his mockery of the subject when you have a team filled with a lot of strong personalities and politically active players.  If TLR goes in and acts on his own words and tells Jose Abreu and Tim Anderson to stay in the clubhouse during the anthem, he loses the team on day 1.

6 hours ago, Timmy U said:

I honest to God can not remember ever being this discouraged as a Sox fan — and my Dad had season tickets to the 1976 Sox when I was a kid.  If they hire La Russa, I have no idea what I’ll do. Probably just step back from following the team and posting here for awhile.  Might switch to following a different team or something. The whole thing just sucks. So glad I stuck by the team through the rebuild so it can be turned over to that divisive, egotistical jerk.  Well, I guess thank God they traded Tatis Jr. because no way would Tony have approved of him.

Adios.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tray said:

Hahn made some bad moves last year (EE, Mazara, Cishek, Gio Gonzo) and failed to make any player moves during the season. Also in terms of judgment about Managers,  Renteria probably should have been gone before the 2020 season.  I don't want to dwell on ancient history but where was Hahn when LaRoach's kid was in running around the clubhouse and the practice field?  Where was Hahn when Sale cut his jersey and refused to pitch?  KW had to deal with those situations.

Hahn is a blowhard who bragged that he could be a GM for the next 10 years.  Hahn continues to promise multiple championships ....an almost unattainable goal in the modern era of baseball.  The Yankees, Red Sox  and Dodgers even have a hard time doing that. Cubs have one in what might be a 1,000 year stretch.

Maybe Jerry no longer trusts Hahn to pick a Manager and wants to do what any good owner would do - consult with several people he knows and trusts - baseball people who have experience at various levels of management  Jerry is trying  to get this right.  His first instinct was to not trust Hahn. I applaud him for that.

Hahn is more of an accountant CFO type. OK good business executive bad baseball GM. Maybe the process should be to fire Hahn and bring in a new GM that Jerry has more confidence in moving forward.

This didn't actually happen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have posted my views on TLR and I would not like this move one bit 

However, if he is the guy then the media needs to grill his ass on important matters about his stance on players kneeling, players playing the game with a flair like our guys do, how he's going to keep his old school ways out of the clubhouse for a team that is a close nit group already who likes to have fun.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

There are three areas of concern for me:

Number 1) The drama and conflict that follows TLR teams

Number 2) The prospect of TLR going around Hahn / Scouting to make player requests

Number 3) Tim Anderson's thoughts. That dude should have been able to hand pick the manager imo.

Numbers 2/3 I think can be mitigated and we'd hear pretty soon. but we are definitely going to live with #1.

I understand your concern but no. No player is bigger than the organization. Players should absolutely give input ( even sit in or some of the interview) but they have limited knowledge of most candidates. Would TA know if Bochy would be better than Hinch?  How much would TA know about Geren or Quatraro? JR shouldn't hand pick either but unfortunately he has the option.  Hopefully TLR gets lost on the way to his 2nd interview because he probably doesn't have a GPS. 

• Like 1

Just now, SCCWS said:

I understand your concern but no. No player is bigger than the organization. Players should absolutely give input ( even sit in or some of the interview) but they have limited knowledge of most candidates. Would TA know if Bochy would be better than Hinch?  How much would TA know about Geren or Quatraro? JR shouldn't hand pick either but unfortunately he has the option.  Hopefully TLR gets lost on the way to his 2nd interview because he probably doesn't have a GPS. 

The good news is there's not that much difference between managers so I don't really care if he knows the difference between Geren or Quatraro.

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

The good news is there's not that much difference between managers so I don't really care if he knows the difference between Geren or Quatraro.

Really? Tony is 76 and Hinch is 46.  That is a pretty big difference. 

31 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This.  And his mockery of the subject when you have a team filled with a lot of strong personalities and politically active players.  If TLR goes in and acts on his own words and tells Jose Abreu and Tim Anderson to stay in the clubhouse during the anthem, he loses the team on day 1.

So a requirement to be a manager is to allow players to kneel during the anthem. We can't have a manager who tells a player no. Just let the players run the clubhouse and stuff. We need a manager to memorize the best strategy based on computer simulations and do that. 

Seriously.

Tony La Russa is getting a bad rap in some areas. He's not some dinosaur traditionalist. He'll use all the analytics used in the modern game. He always has. I have no doubts that he can manage from the dugout and be fine. He's also dealt with lots of players. If Tony can coach Ricky Henderson, he can coach Tim Anderson. My issue is it essentially would be a short-term commitment. It makes more sense to find a guy that could be here fora decade instead of hiring Tony. Also, regardless of what some posters are willfully choosing to believe, it suggest disharmony in the ranks. Rick Hahn didn't have the end of season press conference, describe his ideal manager, zero in on his buddy AJ Hinch and then be totally fine with the owner swooping in and hiring his buddy. Will Hahn leave? Probably not. There are only 30 GM jobs and he has one but it makes thing even harder to decipher going forward. We never know who is responsible for which moves and that will absolutely continue. At this point, if Jerry wants to run the team, he should get on the phone with the agents and start working on free agent deals and trades. He apparently doesn't need a General Manager. That's my issue. Tony being the manager on a random Tuesday is the least of my issues with this. 

• Like 7

Just now, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Tony La Russa is getting a bad rap in some areas. He's not some dinosaur traditionalist. He'll use all the analytics used in the modern game. He always has. I have no doubts that he can manage from the dugout and be fine. He's also dealt with lots of players. If Tony can coach Ricky Henderson, he can coach Tim Anderson. My issue is it essentially would be a short-term commitment. It makes more sense to find a guy that could be here fora decade instead of hiring Tony. Also, regardless of what some posters are willfully choosing to believe, it suggest disharmony in the ranks. Rick Hahn didn't have the end of season press conference, describe his ideal manager, zero in on his buddy AJ Hinch and then be totally fine with the owner swooping in and hiring his buddy. Will Hahn leave? Probably not. There are only 30 GM jobs and he has one but it makes thing even harder to decipher going forward. We never know who is responsible for which moves and that will absolutely continue. At this point, if Jerry wants to run the team, he should get on the phone with the agents and start working on free agent deals and trades. He apparently doesn't need a General Manager. That's my issue. Tony being the manager on a random Tuesday is the least of my issues with this. 

This is true and it's not true. 

1) I think players have more power in their communications than they did then. Stuff gets out more readily.

2) He had lots of open battles with Smith, Rolen, Reyes and Rasmus. To not even be a cards fan and know this stuff should tell you something. This team needed some more accountability but was mostly on the same page. TLR plays favorites, and that could cause some open rifts. Will that affect on-field winning? Maybe not, but he hasn't had a lot of very young teams. I don't think Matheny was a great manager, but I do wonder how TLR does with the '13 cardinals which were such a different group than 11.

5 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Jimmy, so this is pretty much a done deal then?

• Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic