Tony La Russa named Manager

YourWhatHurts

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Oh, I see the confusion. That's actually how we measure age.

I do understand your point that TA should hand pick the next manager. Lebron did it is LA and they won a championship.  TA can be a consultant on the committee w JR, KW, RH,  JA and Billy D. 

12 minutes ago, Texsox said:

So a requirement to be a manager is to allow players to kneel during the anthem. We can't have a manager who tells a player no. Just let the players run the clubhouse and stuff. We need a manager to memorize the best strategy based on computer simulations and do that. 

Seriously.

He can do what he wants, but if he negatively impacts the play of key players, is it worth it? If TA and Abreu ask for trades, is it worth it?  Why can't we find a manager who fits the personality of this bunch?

I talked to Roland Hemond at Soxfest a few years ago. He said he will never forget how White Sox announcers Harry Caray and Jimmy Piersall  dumped all over TLR. In his long career on baseball he said he never saw anything like it. Turns out the announcers were wrong about TLR. 

8 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

I talked to Roland Hemond at Soxfest a few years ago. He said he will never forget how White Sox announcers Harry Caray and Jimmy Piersall  dumped all over TLR. In his long career on baseball he said he never saw anything like it. Turns out the announcers were wrong about TLR. 

This is the least surprising post of this thread 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

12 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

He can do what he wants, but if he negatively impacts the play of key players, is it worth it? If TA and Abreu ask for trades, is it worth it?  Why can't we find a manager who fits the personality of this bunch?

I am definitely against hiring TLR, so this isn't meant to be an argument FOR hiring him, but JR had to consider these things we're worried about, right?  I can't see a scenario where TLR is hired without this stuff being discussed with TLR and possibly with TA.  We're not going to just hire him and then anxiously wait to see how he handles BLM-related issues. The whole kneeling thing HAD to have been discussed, right?  Maybe I'm giving JR and the front office too much credit.

1 minute ago, SoxBlanco said:

I am definitely against hiring TLR, so this isn't meant to be an argument FOR hiring him, but JR had to consider these things we're worried about, right?  I can't see a scenario where TLR is hired without this stuff being discussed with TLR and possibly with TA.  We're not going to just hire him and then anxiously wait to see how he handles BLM-related issues. The whole kneeling thing HAD to have been discussed, right?  Maybe I'm giving JR and the front office too much credit.

I’m sure he will say that he’s eager to talk to every player about it to get their perspective. 

26 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Tony La Russa is getting a bad rap in some areas. He's not some dinosaur traditionalist. He'll use all the analytics used in the modern game. He always has. I have no doubts that he can manage from the dugout and be fine. He's also dealt with lots of players. If Tony can coach Ricky Henderson, he can coach Tim Anderson. My issue is it essentially would be a short-term commitment. It makes more sense to find a guy that could be here fora decade instead of hiring Tony. Also, regardless of what some posters are willfully choosing to believe, it suggest disharmony in the ranks. Rick Hahn didn't have the end of season press conference, describe his ideal manager, zero in on his buddy AJ Hinch and then be totally fine with the owner swooping in and hiring his buddy. Will Hahn leave? Probably not. There are only 30 GM jobs and he has one but it makes thing even harder to decipher going forward. We never know who is responsible for which moves and that will absolutely continue. At this point, if Jerry wants to run the team, he should get on the phone with the agents and start working on free agent deals and trades. He apparently doesn't need a General Manager. That's my issue. Tony being the manager on a random Tuesday is the least of my issues with this. 

This is very well said and I agree. People act like TLR is a disaster of a coach. I'm sure players were consulted and this thing was thought through. They want to win championships folks, so I'm sure they have a plan of action and that Hahn is on board with it by now.

They probably also have a plan in place for the guy they want him to groom. Maybe they didn't like the other options because they are coming of suspensions or are retired and staying so. Maybe other guys they like don't have the necessary experience and post season success as manager.

TLR was not my top choice but Sox fans being on suicide watch, and the media, is ridiculous. As for his political views, I don't agree with him, but that is his business. As long as he doesn't let it get in the way of coaching and respecting the player's rights it is not a concern. There will be plenty of time to get angry if this plan fails, but we should at least let it fail first. 

6 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I am certain it was discussed. It's not like we don't have Kenny who brought up his own issues with racism and speaks about BLM. I'm sure Kenny has been heavily involved in the talks. The fact that TLR was a candidate right after Hahn's presser tells me they had already reached out to him after the season ended most likely. 

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

I am certain it was discussed. It's not like we don't have Kenny who brought up his own issues with racism and speaks about BLM. I'm sure Kenny has been heavily involved in the talks. The fact that TLR was a candidate right after Hahn's presser tells me they had already reached out to him after the season ended most likely. 

Yep probably had some discussions with Tony (and maybe Hinch’s reps) in the extended period between last game and the Zoom call to announce Ricky was fired.

TLR would suck, i'd be disappointed, but I agree that this is not the hill to die on.

Let's see them spend some money and get some quality players to go along with their dumbass managerial decision.

I'd be ok with that.

Either TLR will fail hard and we all will be right and then it's time to be pissed off. Or he won't get in the way and he'll be better than rickey was and we improved.

Now if the brass doesn't spend money... that will piss me off. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Texsox said:

So a requirement to be a manager is to allow players to kneel during the anthem. We can't have a manager who tells a player no. Just let the players run the clubhouse and stuff. We need a manager to memorize the best strategy based on computer simulations and do that. 

Seriously.

A requirement of a manager is absolutely to not tell a player from an oppressed group how he should express himself and/or protest. Glad we could clear that up.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

Like seriously, you put up with the last decade of mostly horrific garbage to quit now when it’s going to be good?

I mean that’s kinda the point. The last decade was awful and now that there’s light at the end of the tunnel, JR pulls rank and plops TLR in our lap. I don’t count myself among the ranks of people that would leave the fandom but I certainly won’t be happy with it. 

Rick described a modern, successful, non-insular manager and now the leading candidate is an octogenarian (hyperbole, but barely) from the “Jerry Reinsdorf friends and family plan” that hasn’t managed in a decade. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Tony La Russa is getting a bad rap in some areas. He's not some dinosaur traditionalist. He'll use all the analytics used in the modern game. He always has. I have no doubts that he can manage from the dugout and be fine. He's also dealt with lots of players. If Tony can coach Ricky Henderson, he can coach Tim Anderson. My issue is it essentially would be a short-term commitment. It makes more sense to find a guy that could be here fora decade instead of hiring Tony. Also, regardless of what some posters are willfully choosing to believe, it suggest disharmony in the ranks. Rick Hahn didn't have the end of season press conference, describe his ideal manager, zero in on his buddy AJ Hinch and then be totally fine with the owner swooping in and hiring his buddy. Will Hahn leave? Probably not. There are only 30 GM jobs and he has one but it makes thing even harder to decipher going forward. We never know who is responsible for which moves and that will absolutely continue. At this point, if Jerry wants to run the team, he should get on the phone with the agents and start working on free agent deals and trades. He apparently doesn't need a General Manager. That's my issue. Tony being the manager on a random Tuesday is the least of my issues with this. 

My guy, you were shouting from the rooftops that Hahns balls were cut off and he should resign and this is a travesty...

now you're up this morning saying it's all overblown and Tony is getting a bad rap. 

I think you're looking too far into this and as I have often done you want to give Hahn the benefit of the doubt on stuff like this. It's easy to blame Jerry - it's always easiest to blame the big boss - but the whole "Jerry said ff Hahn" angle just doesn't make sense given his loyalty to guys like Hahn and Williams. 

Also, the game was much different when Ricky played; the average player was much different. Ricky was great but if we're being honest, Ricky and Tony hated each other because they both loved themselves so damn much. Those two couldn't fit thru the same doorway at the same time their heads were so big.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Beats me. My info in regards to big league team is spotty as best as some posters have pointed out. I'm gonna sit this one out from here. 

Hey man, absolutely no need for you to sit out a damn thing. Your thoughts are appreciated and your closeness to the organization gives you a more educated opinion than I and many others. Even if I disagree, I appreciate reading your takes and have gone out of my way to do so.

Keep on stating what you feel; it's appreciated. 

The White Sox finally have the most attractive managerial job available on the planet, and they pick a 76 year old grumpy old man with some looks so natural no one can tell hair dye, who hasn’t managed the last 9 seasons. WTF?

What you will see Tony does is what Ryan Pace does when he drafts an Adam Sheehan in round 2, he will always try to be the smartest guy in the room, and sometimes, when a simple move that someone coaching 8 year olds reading a Baseball for Dummies book could make, he will have to complicate that and it will blow up in his face.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

This is very well said and I agree. People act like TLR is a disaster of a coach.

To be fair, I've felt this way about Tony when he was winning titles. I have thought LaRussa was the most overrated man in baseball for 3 decades. 

Things like batting the pitcher 8th turned out to be huge nothingburgers - just ways for Tony to say he was the smartest guy in the room when in fact it meant nothing. 

He has called out star players because he's always felt he was the star. He's always felt that people need that type of accountability when in reality it's just nonsense.

Tony has that "old school, I'm your second daddy" mentality as a coach and I can't stand that garbage and I'm glad it's leaving sports in general.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

My guy, you were shouting from the rooftops that Hahns balls were cut off and he should resign and this is a travesty...

now you're up this morning saying it's all overblown and Tony is getting a bad rap. 

I think you're looking too far into this and as I have often done you want to give Hahn the benefit of the doubt on stuff like this. It's easy to blame Jerry - it's always easiest to blame the big boss - but the whole "Jerry said ff Hahn" angle just doesn't make sense given his loyalty to guys like Hahn and Williams. 

Also, the game was much different when Ricky played; the average player was much different. Ricky was great but if we're being honest, Ricky and Tony hated each other because they both loved themselves so damn much. Those two couldn't fit thru the same doorway at the same time their heads were so big.

First of all, I'm not your guy. I wrote an article last week about how La Russa was getting a bad rap. The hatred is overblown. That doesn't mean it's a good move though. These things aren't mutually exclusive. La Russa managing wouldn't be the end of the world for fans because the team is really good and managers don't matter that much. Hahn is getting overruled if this happens and he should go elsewhere. That part is also true. I'm not really sure what is so difficult to understand. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 2

25 minutes ago, fathom said:

It’s crazy to see how many Sox fans on twitter are saying they will stop being Sox fans if they hire TLR.  Like seriously, you put up with the last decade of mostly horrific garbage to quit now when it’s going to be good?

Just fans overreacting trying to pretend like they have some power in the process.

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

The last job of any responsibility Tony had was running the DBacks, and they were run into the ground. The guy he hired to run their analytics department was a Veterinarian who Tony met when the guy was trying to rent him an apartment when he first managed the White Sox. Then he hired Dave Stewart as his GM because he pitched for him. If this was 17years ago, I don’t like Tony from His first stint, but fine. Now? What a lost opportunity.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

The guy he hired to run their analytics department was a Veterinarian who Tony met when the guy was trying to rent him an apartment when he first managed the White Sox. 

This is so awful it’s comedy.

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The White Sox finally have the most attractive managerial job available on the planet, and they pick a 76 year old grumpy old man with some looks so natural no one can tell hair dye, who hasn’t managed the last 9 seasons. WTF?

What you will see Tony does is what Ryan Pace does when he drafts an Adam Sheehan in round 2, he will always try to be the smartest guy in the room, and sometimes, when a simple move that someone coaching 8 year olds reading a Baseball for Dummies book could make, he will have to complicate that and it will blow up in his face.

His entire career summed up in 12 words.

• Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic