Tony La Russa named Manager

YourWhatHurts

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Tony La Russa is getting a bad rap in some areas. He's not some dinosaur traditionalist. He'll use all the analytics used in the modern game. He always has. I have no doubts that he can manage from the dugout and be fine. He's also dealt with lots of players. If Tony can coach Ricky Henderson, he can coach Tim Anderson. My issue is it essentially would be a short-term commitment. It makes more sense to find a guy that could be here fora decade instead of hiring Tony. Also, regardless of what some posters are willfully choosing to believe, it suggest disharmony in the ranks. Rick Hahn didn't have the end of season press conference, describe his ideal manager, zero in on his buddy AJ Hinch and then be totally fine with the owner swooping in and hiring his buddy. Will Hahn leave? Probably not. There are only 30 GM jobs and he has one but it makes thing even harder to decipher going forward. We never know who is responsible for which moves and that will absolutely continue. At this point, if Jerry wants to run the team, he should get on the phone with the agents and start working on free agent deals and trades. He apparently doesn't need a General Manager. That's my issue. Tony being the manager on a random Tuesday is the least of my issues with this. 

Wasn’t it rumored that Jerry was doing all the negotiating with Machado at some point? Then it all fell apart

9 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

First of all, I'm not your guy. I wrote an article last week about how La Russa was getting a bad rap. The hatred is overblown. That doesn't mean it's a good move though. These things aren't mutually exclusive. La Russa managing wouldn't be the end of the world for fans because the team is really good and managers don't matter that much. Hahn is getting overruled if this happens and he should go elsewhere. That part is also true. I'm not really sure what is so difficult to understand. 

This - well summed jimmy. I have said a million times - I don’t love the hire but it isn’t the dumpster fire this website is making it out to be. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

First of all, I'm not your guy. I wrote an article last week about how La Russa was getting a bad rap. The hatred is overblown. That doesn't mean it's a good move though. These things aren't mutually exclusive. La Russa managing wouldn't be the end of the world for fans because the team is really good and managers don't matter that much. Hahn is getting overruled if this happens and he should go elsewhere. That part is also true. I'm not really sure what is so difficult to understand. 

You've got some sensitivity issues, bud. 

I learned about 20 years ago that if I post my opinions on the internet, some people may not agree and there's no sense in getting upset at those people. Have a good one, champ.

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

TLR would suck, i'd be disappointed, but I agree that this is not the hill to die on.

Let's see them spend some money and get some quality players to go along with their dumbass managerial decision.

I'd be ok with that.

Either TLR will fail hard and we all will be right and then it's time to be pissed off. Or he won't get in the way and he'll be better than rickey was and we improved.

Now if the brass doesn't spend money... that will piss me off. 

Yeah. That pretty well sums my thoughts up also.

My only two takes:

I think the manager's role is wildly overrated. The same lineup is generally rolled out 5 of 7 games with a few slight changes on the other two. The same rotation gets rolled out 5 games in a row outside of injuries. Really it's bullpen management, team relations, & nowadays balancing analytics v. old school views. That's it really. (I guess you can say how long you leave a pitcher in too -- aka Dusty Baker v. less innings loads)

B) literally every Tony LaRussa tweet is getting ratioed. I mean, when the hire is so questioned that every single post has more comments than likes? That's wild. Not saying that us armchair GM's know anyhting, but I think it's at least a huge red flag. 

I'll give him a chance - but i dont think the right move in this situation is hiring a controversial guy ... it's just not. But here we are. Hope he doesn't fuck it up - though again - a manager -- unless you're pulling stunts like ricky did in game 3 --- doesn't have too much barring IMO on the outcome of the roster. 

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

You've got some sensitivity issues, bud. 

You saw the way he responded to being called “my guy” and the proceeded to call him sensitive and address him as “bud” and “champ”? 

You’re instigating just to instigate. You’ve got some respect issues. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, oneofthemikes said:

You saw the way he responded to being called “my guy” and the proceeded to call him sensitive and address him as “bud” and “champ”? 

You’re instigating just to instigate. You’ve got some respect issues. 

Or, I try to lighten the mood? I also praised his work and told him I appreciated his thoughts repeatedly. All he's done is demean my takes as being misinformed (despite him admitting he has no true big league source); all I've done is prop up his opinions and respond with my opinions and comments. If he doesn't want people to participate or respond to his thoughts, he should try posting on non-public forums. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I just don’t see how JR will spend more money because LaRussa is managing. I think that is just not Steve Cishek trying to sound relevant after being so wrong again.

No one should forget on the day we were all shocked RR was given the pink slip, Bob Nightengale had TLR as the favorite. It was his job if he wanted it. He was correct. Everyone who mocked him was wrong.

I agree on the first part, but I guess what I’m suggesting is maybe Jerry is prepared to spend more money than usual this year and wants his guy leading the charge under such an event.  I definitely don’t think he has two payroll figures depending on which manager he goes with.

17 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

This - well summed jimmy. I have said a million times - I don’t love the hire but it isn’t the dumpster fire this website is making it out to be. 

Look, let’s be honest, we don’t know that for sure. There is an outside chance it works great and he’s the perfect person for this job. Given everything we know, there is a decent chance it is in fact a dumpster fire and we are bumping this thread next October after the whole thing implodes. Most likely it won’t be terrible or great, but asserting that it won’t be a dumpster fire requires a time machine. 

Do you have a time machine? Because there are some things around 2016 that we need to go back and fix.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

They could have interviewed him yesterday for all we know.

We would know.  Not to mention the turn around time on that what be ridiculous especially considering when all this stuff started to come out.  I get people wanting to be optimistic here and hope to hell I'm wrong but if we hear something today, it's Tony.

Edited by Rowand44

• Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic