Tony La Russa named Manager

YourWhatHurts

11 minutes ago, ChiSox1917 said:

You speak for all black people?

No, they have their own voices. It's not my place to speak for them. Nice try though. 

While it's not a consensus, that's the overwhelming majority's opinion. 

I don't talk. I listen to leaders in their community. 

Any POC on the board care to weigh in? 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

In general I do think people here (looking at you Jack) misperceive how people like Tim and Tony operate.  These are not wilting flowers otherwise they wouldn't be where they are in their profession.  If there are differences they will talk it out and I'd expect even if the talk didn't go well that both would carry on as professionals.

Yeah, people with different view points can work together.

25 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

No, you're just out of touch. 

The bottom line is that black people think that being against kneeling is racist. If they think it's racist, then I think it's racist.  

I go by their reaction. It's not a white dude's place to decide what is and isn't racist. 

This is because context is not a thing in this country. Being against kneeling because you think it disrespects the flag is not racist. As I've said before, Americans are taught since they are 5 to stand for the flag out of respect. It comes across as racist because Black issues are tied into kneeling.

This doesn't mean there aren't racists against kneeling, but being against kneeling isn't necessarily racist in itself. Just like I wouldn't call a man sexist because of his views on abortion if it is about the baby and not an issue with a woman's right to choose. If someone's disagreement with kneeling is truly about respect for the country and not about disagreeing with racism, they are not being racist. My problem with TLR is that he said he wouldn't want them on the field at all protesting. He may think the baseball field and anthem is not the spot to protest, but it is anyone's right to do so until baseball bans it (which they would never do). 

Edited by SonofaRoache
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

And I am really not saying that LaRussa would be the cause of all that . 2-7 are my normal view. Right when we start thinking Sox management might finally have opened their eyes those eyes start looking in the wrong direction .

Sox ownership is Lucy holding the football and we are Charlie Brown falling for the same trick again and again as Lucy pulls the football away when Charlie Brown tries to kick it and ends up flat on his back . Call it the carrot, the brass ring, the con man's best weapon is the mark wanting that elusive thing of value.

I personally haven't fallen for much in several years. I am mostly right with how I guess these things play out. 

Although I think I did fall for this one.

Edited by RagahRagah

11 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

Are racial matters the only thing that it's OK to kneel for?  I personally don't really care if they kneel, do what you want if you feel it's the right thing to do. But where does the line stop for making political statements. What if Christian players started kneeling because they don't support abortion laws in this country? Would you back them up? If not, I guess that makes you a suppressor of religious freedom. If Latino players started protesting immigration laws?  I bet you'd pick and choose your side based on your own political agenda....

Anyway, agree to disagree.  Tony is entitled to his opinion and it does not make him a racist.  If he's actually hired, I'd hope this would be something he chooses to re-think his stance on and tells the players they are free to do as they choose. I just hope we hire Hinch and this conversation is moot.

We live in the United States of America.  The very idea that there is compulsory actions that must be taken to properly be labeled as "patriotic" is so anti-American that it hurts.  If someone has a cause that they want to get recognized, and feel that kneeling during the national anthem is the way to achieve it, more power to them.  Even if I don't like the ideals being espoused, people have the right to do it.  No one should have the right to take that away from them.  Sure you have professional considerations, in place, but those professionals also have the ability to take their talents elsewhere.  And you are already seeing indications of that from a professional black athlete.  Even if you don't believe in it, they do.  Instead of telling people what they should be allowed to do, maybe you should spend more time listening to people like Tim Anderson when they tell you WHY they kneel, and not buy into some artificial construct designed to distract you from the underlying issues by pitting you against them personally.  If Tim Anderson wants to kneel to protest racism, more power to him.  If Trevor Bauer wants to kneel to protest BLM, more power to him as well.  NO where in this country is compulsory patriotism a thing.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

No, they have their own voices. It's not my place to speak for them. Nice try though. 

While it's not a consensus, that's the overwhelming majority's opinion. 

I don't talk. I listen to leaders in their community. 

Any POC on the board care to weigh in? 

Our problem with the kneeling issue for the most part is people not appreciating and respecting our right to protest on the field as we sit fit peacefully. No one is calling these people racists unless they bring oppression and inequality into their viewpoints. Being against kneeling is more of a misinformed thing about the flag and peacefully protesting than it is racism. Now, people that bring up All Lives Mattering and Blue Lives Mattering are a different story. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

We live in the United States of America.  The very idea that there is compulsory actions that must be taken to properly be labeled as "patriotic" is so anti-American that it hurts.  If someone has a cause that they want to get recognized, and feel that kneeling during the national anthem is the way to achieve it, more power to them.  Even if I don't like the ideals being espoused, people have the right to do it.  No one should have the right to take that away from them.  Sure you have professional considerations, in place, but those professionals also have the ability to take their talents elsewhere.  And you are already seeing indications of that from a professional black athlete.  Even if you don't believe in it, they do.  Instead of telling people what they should be allowed to do, maybe you should spend more time listening to people like Tim Anderson when they tell you WHY they kneel, and not buy into some artificial construct designed to distract you from the underlying issues by pitting you against them personally.  If Tim Anderson wants to kneel to protest racism, more power to him.  If Trevor Bauer wants to kneel to protest BLM, more power to him as well.  NO where in this country is compulsory patriotism a thing.

This is a wonderful post. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Our problem with the kneeling issue for the most part is people not appreciating and respecting our right to protest on the field as we sit fit peacefully. No one is calling these people racists unless they bring oppression and inequality into their viewpoints. Being against kneeling is more of a misinformed thing about the flag and peacefully protesting than it is racism. Now, people that bring up All Lives Mattering and Blue Lives Mattering are a different story. 

Ok. This is my understanding as well. 

There is nuance, but I tend to take the opinion that only the racists don't understand(or more likely, choose not to understand) that it's a 1st amendment issue. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

We live in the United States of America.  The very idea that there is compulsory actions that must be taken to properly be labeled as "patriotic" is so anti-American that it hurts.  If someone has a cause that they want to get recognized, and feel that kneeling during the national anthem is the way to achieve it, more power to them.  Even if I don't like the ideals being espoused, people have the right to do it.  No one should have the right to take that away from them.  Sure you have professional considerations, in place, but those professionals also have the ability to take their talents elsewhere.  And you are already seeing indications of that from a professional black athlete.  Even if you don't believe in it, they do.  Instead of telling people what they should be allowed to do, maybe you should spend more time listening to people like Tim Anderson when they tell you WHY they kneel, and not buy into some artificial construct designed to distract you from the underlying issues by pitting you against them personally. If Tim Anderson wants to kneel to protest racism, more power to him.  If Trevor Bauer wants to kneel to protest BLM, more power to him as well.  NO where in this country is compulsory patriotism a thing.

True words have never been spoken. The bolded especially is a nice truth dagger.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I don't disagree with this, for the most part. I just hate seeing media members portray a guy as a racist for his opinion on the anthem. I think it's OK to call Tony out and say his opinion is outdated and that maybe he needs to discuss it with people (probably people of color). But to scream from the rooftops that he's a racist is not a constructive thing to do on the matter.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

When was the last time the Sox hired a manager with TLR accomplishments and status? If he is into analytics as experts are saying, and not a complete amateur risk, how is this the same old same old? 

Because it follows the JR playbook. Old relationships from the past, where he's close with the guy/player & that player or person receives a longer leash or benefit of the doubt they don't receive elsewhere in the marketplace. 

Hawk Harrelson - GM

Robin Ventura - Manager

Robin Ventura - manager for way longer than he deserved

Kenny Williams - Still has a job

Coop - had a job for way longer than necessary

Konerko - Extension

Jim Thome - nice guy - but all of a sudden has a top job

Hahn - really no results - still has no chance of losing his job

LaRussa - considered for this job (likely his)

Flip to the Bulls .... or let's not. Boylen? are you kidding me.

GarPax?

He's loyal to an absolute fault. It impedes his business decisions & the track record shows that almost every time it's to the detriment of the teams & fans. 

• Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic