Tony La Russa named Manager

YourWhatHurts

Just now, BigHurt3515 said:

Only 2 people love this. You either hate it or you ehh don't hate it

I honestly have very little opinion.  I have no idea how he's going to manage and how the players will react to him.  Frankly I'm not going to take the opinion of blue checks on twitter as gospel.  I'm not happy they signed him; I wanted Hinch -- but I'm not going to pan the move until I see him manage.  If he does dumb shit I'll rip him like I ripped Rick every single game.

4 minutes ago, ChiHawks10 said:

As I said once already... everyone was cheating in the steroid era... singling out TLR as if he was the only coach is absurdly stupid.

Blaming any manager is stupid.  What were they supposed to do, unilaterally impose drug testing in direct conflict with the basic agreement?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Quin said:

La Russa is basically the worst traits of everyone.

• Nepotism hire.
  • A cheat
  • A drunk
  • "Trust my gut"
  • The storyline will now be about him all year
  • Risks throwing the locker room into absolute turmoil
  • Can be a massive detriment to free agents
  • Hasn't managed in years

To be fair he is a great father to the kids from his second marriage and is a huge support of light skinned animals

Just now, Dominikk85 said:

Yeah, makes me wonder whether the renteria firing was hahn's move. I can understand wanting a better manager but saying that ricky was not data savy and modern enough and then hire a 70 yo doesn't fit.

Larussa was actually quite modern with numbers 30 years ago but he has been out some time now and that stuff has changed.

Hahn also wanted someone with recent October experience.

My guess is the series of events.

1. Ricky implodes down the stretch. Completely loses front office support. 
  2. Hahn sees several quality candidates, knows he'll have the pick of the litter: Bochy, Hinch, Cora, etc. 
  3. Hahn outlines what he wants in a manager. None of which describes La Russa.
  4. La Russa sees the opening, calls Reinsdorf during the World Series before anyone else can interview.
  5. Reinsdorf supersedes Hahn, hires La Russa. 
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I'm done supporting Jerry's BS. 

I'll watch on TV, and go to whatever free games I have via friends and family. Only place a fan can show displeasure is by hitting the teams pocket books. 

I was one to cancel my MLB.tv subscription after the Machado debacle. Turns out there are plenty of free ways to online without giving them tacit approval, and I'm much happier for it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

That won’t accomplish much. I already renewed anyway. It will still be fun. It may take him 10 minutes to get to the mound to make a pitching change.

Oh, I'm not dumb enough to sit through five years of misery only to stop watching now. I just won't support them with my own cash.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThirdGen said:

Blaming any manager is stupid.  What were they supposed to do, unilaterally impose drug testing in direct conflict with the basic agreement?

What is a manger supposed to, stop his players and GM from filming signs?

1 minute ago, ThirdGen said:

Maybe not allowing bottles of Andro to be kept out in the open in players lockers would have been a great start. 

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

That won’t accomplish much. I already renewed anyway. It will still be fun. It may take him 10 minutes to get to the mound to make a pitching change.

He will use the pitching cart that is in moth balls

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

LOL he knows that it's based on his friendship and what happened years ago so much that he is denying it before anyone even asks the question. This is a tactic we teach in sales - you know something is coming up because it's true so you address or distract from it in advance.

4 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

LOL. At least it'll be fun watching the analytics guys losing their shit every day. 

Remember when that was the next market opportunity to hire all of these analytics guys other clubs recently let go to save money? Can't imagine they're jumping over each other to come here now.

• Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic