Tony La Russa named Manager

YourWhatHurts

Such a great call to hire Tony.  I was against it until I heard Dan Evans speak about this potential move.  He was one of the first to use analytics.  He's going to be great for the team.  I am all aboard on this move.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, KrankinSox said:

Are racial matters the only thing that it's OK to kneel for?  I personally don't really care if they kneel, do what you want if you feel it's the right thing to do. But where does the line stop for making political statements. What if Christian players started kneeling because they don't support abortion laws in this country? Would you back them up? If not, I guess that makes you a suppressor of religious freedom. If Latino players started protesting immigration laws?  I bet you'd pick and choose your side based on your own political agenda....

Anyway, agree to disagree.  Tony is entitled to his opinion and it does not make him a racist.  If he's actually hired, I'd hope this would be something he chooses to re-think his stance on and tells the players they are free to do as they choose. I just hope we hire Hinch and this conversation is moot.

Well said!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Quin said:

Hahn also wanted someone with recent October experience.

My guess is the series of events.

1. Ricky implodes down the stretch. Completely loses front office support. 
  2. Hahn sees several quality candidates, knows he'll have the pick of the litter: Bochy, Hinch, Cora, etc. 
  3. Hahn outlines what he wants in a manager. None of which describes La Russa.
  4. La Russa sees the opening, calls Reinsdorf during the World Series before anyone else can interview.
  5. Reinsdorf supersedes Hahn, hires La Russa. 

Don't forget the "White Sox" step - they would never have allowed RR to be fired and pay two coaches at once if ownership didn't already know this was how it was going to go. JR talked to his old buddy sometime during the season about this and TLDR said he'd be interested, that's the only reason Renteria was allowed to be moved. Ditto Cooper - you think they're going to move their 20 year loyalty pitching coach if they didn't already know that TLDR was going to bring in his own guy?

This is the only reason why RR and Cooper are gone.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

That won’t accomplish much. I already renewed anyway. It will still be fun. It may take him 10 minutes to get to the mound to make a pitching change.

Maybe Manfred will veto the move since he wants to speed up the game so much?!??

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Remember when that was the next market opportunity to hire all of these analytics guys other clubs recently let go to save money? Can't imagine they're jumping over each other to come here now.

There is a veterinarian from Chicago that Tony hired in AZ to run their analytics department available.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Remember when that was the next market opportunity to hire all of these analytics guys other clubs recently let go to save money? Can't imagine they're jumping over each other to come here now.

TLR believes in analytics. He just goes with the flow more in game based on results. He will set lineups, rotation, and use his pitchers based on analytics. I am a believer of using both in a common sense manner. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, brett05 said:

Such a great call to hire Tony.  I was against it until I heard Dan Evans speak about this potential move.  He was one of the first to use analytics.  He's going to be great for the team.  I am all aboard on this move.

He doesnt do everything an algorithm says to do so therefore he hates statistics!!!

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

Just now, fathom said:

Yep I have a hard time thinking Jerry doesn’t do his best to give TLR a quality roster.

You could have spent without hiring TLR, if they spend this offseason it'll be spun that way but nothing was stopping them from spending with Sandy Alomar as the manager.

I am so happy. Tony LaRussa back where he belongs ... with the Chicago White Sox. Folks, our team is in the best hands to win multi WS titles. Hopefully the cards will fall right, no pun intended, and we bag 2-3 titles. Tony LaRussa!!! What an early Christmas/Halloween/Tgiving present. Great news amid a horrific Covid year!

Trust me, people. You will be happy with this move. Sox will use analytics but have a pure baseball mind to not be beholden to all moves suggested to him. Celebrate people. Barring bad luck (injuries, etc) we are the champions (not saying next year, but it's coming).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3
  • Fire 1

Just now, greg775 said:

I am so happy. Tony LaRussa back where he belongs ... with the Chicago White Sox. Folks, our team is in the best hands to win multi WS titles. Hopefully the cards will fall right, no pun intended, and we bag 2-3 titles. Tony LaRussa!!! What an early Christmas/Halloween/Tgiving present. Great news amid a horrific Covid year!

Trust me, people. You will be happy with this move. Sox will use analytics but have a pure baseball mind to not be beholden to all moves suggested to him. Celebrate people. Barring bad luck (injuries, etc) we are the champions (not saying next year, but it's coming).

I’ll have what he’s having.

• Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic