Tony La Russa named Manager

YourWhatHurts

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Question, why does ageism only apply to old people? 

Why say can the Sox not hire a 16 year old manager? You would consider that absurd, right? Why? Because their brains aren't fully developed... 

As you age, cognitive decline happens. It's simply a fact. I find the ageism thing hilarious; old people run the world - politics and other positions of power. Meanwhile, young people never get opportunities of power. Are you going to tell me that's not ageism either?

Answer:  it doesn't. 

In any case, I'm not really interested in entering into a "debate" on a baseball message board about whether age discrimination, a persistent and measurable injustice whose prevention is enshrined in 50+ years of civil rights legislation at the federal and state levels, is a good or bad thing.  

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I say the inverse back to you - you base all of your points on 1 quote vs. his entire track record of being an extremely innovative manager. He was known for pushing the limits and coming up with unique decisions. So no - I'm not going to jump to a conclusion because of one freaking quote. I am sure if we looked at any of us - we have all had 1000's of quotes that were either misinterpreted, incorrect, or maybe just we no longer agree with them.  

I may look back a 1 year from now and go - wow you were all right, he really is all those things you said. I'm just stating - I don't freaking know and I don't think anyone on here having an epic tantrum really knows. They are literally looking for any little thing they can point to to cry wolf, while ignoring a sample size of a HOF career.  I'm just saying R-E-L-A-X people - this is not the deal that it is being made to believe it is on Soxtalk.  And I have said a million times over - I personally wouldn't have hired him, but I don't think it is the worst move of the last 50 years or anything crazy like that.  

How many you want?

“What’s happening now is that the analytics, it’s really getting a lot of attention and I never begrudge the analytical guys because they love the game and they want to be a part of it,” La Russa said. “So they’re trying to elbow, ‘I want more, more, more.’

“But it’s really an important preparation tool. If you let it interfere with the decision making of your manager and coaches, you’re going to be easier to beat,” La Russa concluded.

“That what makes our game great and the priority is to do anything we can to enhance that. Some of the primary enhancers are the coaches and the managers and the teaching.

“You’ve got to preserve that and you’ve got to emphasize that. The analytics are valuable tools and the information from them has its place. But when that place starts to diminish the priority of the coaching that goes on and the decision making that goes on, then you’re worse, not better.”

Citing a longtime Cardinals minor league manager and instructor, La Russa said, “The George Kissells are becoming irrelevant. How can that possibly be? George Kissell is a relic? That’s bull.

“In my opinion, George Kissell and guys like him are actually more important now than they were then because so much teaching has to go on at the major league level.”

"It stops before the first pitch is thrown. In no way will the manager and the coaches at whatever level be given a program where this is your lineup, this is the way you run your offense, your defense. It is not possible. The game is too dynamic. Men against men. Change every day. 

"Absolutely a preparation tool. We have two sides. We have the metrics/analytics, and we encourage our manager and our coaches to be observational analyzers. Their analytics are based on their observations. Is your bat slow. Is it fast? Do you have a good breaking ball today? Is your confidence up, down? All that stuff that you can’t know ahead of time."

He's been making this point literally for a decade, including when he ran the Diamondbacks. 

2 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Answer:  it doesn't. 

In any case, I'm not really interested in entering into a "debate" on a baseball message board about whether age discrimination, a persistent and measurable injustice whose prevention is enshrined in 50+ years of civil rights legislation at the federal and state levels, is a good or bad thing.  

So why can't a 34 year old be POTUS but an 87 year old can be? Do you think an 87 year old is sharper cognitively than a 34 year old? 

Again, I'm asking you because it's absurd. Older people rule positions of power, and many 20-35 somethings can't move up in their careers despite doing the job of those "Executives." So again, I didn't see anyone saying to not be disrespectful when they said Jirschele was too young. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

1 minute ago, ChiSox1917 said:

And hes right. 

tony doesnt pull snell the other night. Analytics worshippers do. 

You're 100% right. And it's also equally right that the Rays don't come anywhere close to the world series with that roster without having trusted the analytics. 

• Love 1

• Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic