Tony La Russa named Manager

YourWhatHurts

1 minute ago, mqr said:

Saying he "doesn't have a racist bone in his body" and naming a bunch of black guys was pretty weird, but he said he supports the player's decisions. 

Its not weird, he's literally being called a racist all over the internet, including here.  Naturally he will defend himself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

Spin Spin...

So everything he says against the Sox fan agenda is spin, but when it fits the agenda it is truth. Hahn is being honest. He said he didn't expect Larussa a few weeks back. He may not even have liked the hire over Hinch. But he is right that this team can win championships with TLR. 

6 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

A requirement of a manager is absolutely to not tell a player from an oppressed group how he should express himself and/or protest. Glad we could clear that up.

I support kneeling for the anthem. But I can think of some protests that absolutely shouldn't be allowed so I'm not going all that way with you. 

Is there any protest you wouldn't back? 

7 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Well - for one he used experiments around moving the pitcher out of the 9 hole - because he didn't think the data would make sense that you want your worst hitter being transitioned to the best part of your lineup, that your run production might be better off with the pitcher hitting 8 so that you had a more likely transition to your best batters.  I don't know whether it was right or not - but that wasn't just a pure gut decision. 

This has proven to be nothing and not true, so if this was him being innovative that's not a great piece of evidence.

2 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

He basically said he's changed his stance on kneeling for the anthem. If players are sincerely protesting peacefully, he has no problem with it. He also listed a number of black players he's managed that can vouch for him not being a racist. Which apparently, according to people on this board, is bad to say. LOL

People are mad and will only care about agendas. I've stated several times I am concerned about his stance regarding kneeling, but also that he needs to address it and change it. He has done both, so I move on. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Green Line said:

Its not weird, he's literally being called a racist all over the internet, including here.  Naturally he will defend himself.

Saying “I’m not racist” is worth as much as saying “I’m a nice guy, really”, so it will always strike me as weird. 

it was also not the question that was asked. 

ultimately idgaf as long as he doesn’t feel the need to tell players what to do on this. 

Edited by mqr
  • Like 1

TURRIBLE !!!!

LaRussa vs Kenny-Hahn

Reinsdorf hates Sox fans.

If Kenny-Hahn had any self-respect left, they would tender their resignations.

So everyone crying about Hinch being a cheater.  They just hired the Mgr. Juice .

Mutiny by May.

Edited by GradMc
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

He basically said the events of 2020 have changed his views on kneeling during the anthem and that he'd be okay with it. Then he went even farther and said he's not racist cause he's managed black players in the past. 

Well the right answer is actually to not talk about kneeling but to instead say something about the issues behind it, or to acknowledge not just that you were wrong on kneeling but you were missing an understanding of the underlying issues. If I was going to this press conference here's how I'd have stolen the language:

“I fully recognize that I’m a white male. On top of that, I was born into a privileged name and a wealthy family. My family always pushed me to be educated and knowledgeable, especially in regard to our society, our history, culture, and just overall humanity. I have been blessed in my life to experience many different people and places. I’ve been blessed to have relationships with incredible and amazing people of different races, religions, ethnicities, backgrounds, places of origin. Because of this, I thought I understood race. I now fully realize that I do not understand. I must listen and learn now more than ever.

“As an organization,” he continued. “We believe we can do more to help address the systemic racism in our society, and we embrace this opportunity. Leadership is not defined by title and status. It is defined by purpose, behavior and action. We have incredibly strong and thoughtful leaders in every area of our Spurs family. I’m grateful for their willingness and courage to tackle this complex and important issue. I also know that I must do more. Together, we will put the full weight of our organization behind this critical effort.”

Note the difference there between hiding behind players he has coached and instead admitting that he might not have understood things that players he coached were going through, and the commitments to do better. And that's from the Spurs org, which has been as outspoken as any even before this year.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chw42 said:

He basically said the events of 2020 have changed his views on kneeling during the anthem and that he'd be okay with it. Then he went even farther and said he's not racist cause he's managed black players in the past. 

Not exactly. He said you could ask anyone of those guys and they would have nothing but good things to say about him and would say he doesn't have a racist bone in his body.

• Like 1

YYYYYYYEEEEEEESSSSSS!!!!!!

Just heard the news, and screamed so loud the house shook. 

Never bet against Tony LaRussa. He's a legend of the sport and Jim Leyland's called him the "GOAT" for a reason. He's kept sharp on the game through the years and put on an exhibition in relationship skills when he flipped a bunch of votes to get Harold into the HOF. TLR is the complete package - socially, relationship skills, fundamentals, knowledge, subtle moves, big moves. 

I'm so proud and grateful to be a fan. My favorite pro sports organization ever. This day goes down as one of my favorite in history and I can feel my body overcome with jolts of energy. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

He basically said he's changed his stance on kneeling for the anthem. If players are sincerely protesting peacefully, he has no problem with it. He also listed a number of black players he's managed that can vouch for him not being a racist. Which apparently, according to people on this board, is bad to say. LOL

It doesn't matter how we perceive it.  It matters how the clubhouse and potential FAs perceive TLR and how he views minority players and "showboating."  I am more concerned about losing the clubhouse and having players being interested in joining the team.  If he doesn't effect any of that then it could potentially be a good hire.  

• Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic