Tony La Russa named Manager

YourWhatHurts

1 minute ago, RagahRagah said:

This is just a huge shot in the balls to fans of this franchise.

There's plenty of reasons that this is bad, I think most of which have already been covered. I just want to put an exclamation point and say that this franchise is essentially taking a pimple kid who is complexion was finally clearing up and was going to start getting dates and put a bunch of ugly pimples back on his face just as he was about to hit his stride.

Considering all the reasons people have already laid out why this is bad, you really don't think this is going to speak poorly to free agents who might have been convinced to give us a try after finally look like we might have been starting to go in a different direction and now apparently we're not? After all the bush-league stuff that this franchise has done in the last few years?

Like Cali said already, a lot of Sox fans continue to get fooled into thinking things are going to change. My only optimism will likely begin to rear its head after reinsdorf is dead and gone, and I know that sounds really cold hearted but at this point I think that's just what the situation is. People who want to say that we need to be optimistic and that things could still go in a good direction really need to can it, apparently they've never learned their lesson.

This is truly a "fuck this" moment.

There are plenty of free agents that will gladly play for Tony

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrianAnderson said:

When a manager outshines the players then it's a bad hire. 

Also when a manager has question marks around race (very easy to find confirmations), integrity (DUI + plus saying "do you know who i am" during the arrest) + tied to steroids? But then turns around and acts holier than he is? That's where i have a problem. Especially when they are touting a youth movement "change the game" etc. 

I don't need a players manager, but this is a poor hire. Sorry. There's a real chance he's actually dead before the Sox World Series window is closed ... that's not a forward-thinking move. It's living in the past again. 

Reinsdorf and the McCaskeys are forever stuck the 1950's.

17 minutes ago, soulfly said:

What if they had the Hinch auto lined up for a bench coach announcement?  Maybe the person who made it messed up and attached the wrong autograph?

If I were Hinch I wouldn't take a bench coach job with the White Sox! Not even if they promised to give me the job in a few years. Who knows what happens in a few years. 

Just now, soxfan49 said:

Between mentioning 1 player and that's only because he was in the question, referring to the 1980's over and over, Hahn not saying "i" at all and instead using "we," and Tony always mentioning "Jerry" first when referring to the FO, that was abysmal. Holy cow.

The press conference was fine. He’s not a college coach who’s trying to recruit players in his initial introduction

If you want to go young and proven, go Hinch or Cora.

If you want to go experience and proven, go Bochy.

If you want the next thing, you go with Sandy Alomar, Espada or Quatraro. Or some top notch AAA coach.

This reaks of a last ditch effort to win just one, when what the Sox need is someone who can manage them for 7-10 years.  UUUUUGGGHHH!!!

Just now, fathom said:

People are acting like they hired Hitler to manage. Have you not looked at the demographics in baseball?  There are plenty of players who agree with Tony’s views on things.

I'm going to break some news for some here; 

the majority of white MLB players are conservatives. I'd guess many will vote for Trump. Aubrey Huff was not out of place in his locker room. Some viewed him negatively but in general he was not shunned. Take that for what you will. These are athletes entertaining us; many are not role models. 

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

People are acting like they hired Hitler to manage. Have you not looked at the demographics in baseball?  There are plenty of players who agree with Tony’s views on things.

Don’t answer my question than if your going to be sensitive.

Edited by maloney.adam

1 minute ago, Sockin said:

If today taught us anything its that this is the same old White Sox. Not holding my breath on any significant money being spent, especially after them crying poor league wide.

I think people will be shocked at how many teams cut payroll.  Hell, the Braves just declined O’Day’s 3.5 million dollar option and he was great last year

11 minutes ago, bmags said:

The reality behind a mistake like this is far more benign. They make a bunch to be ready, they use the same template, they forget that that was even a signature and it starts blending into the background, they rush to get it out on announcement.

Yes - this is absolutely what happens; you prep a bunch of free agent possibilities Photoshopped into your uniform, or make graphics celebrating titles you don't win, players you might draft but don't, etc. Bad timing and fortune, but nothing nefarious.

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I'm going to break some news for some here; 

the majority of white MLB players are conservatives. I'd guess many will vote for Trump. Aubrey Huff was not out of place in his locker room. Some viewed him negatively but in general he was not shunned. Take that for what you will. These are athletes entertaining us; many are not role models. 

I remember hearing a stat before 2016 that there was one locker room in MLB where every white player voted for Trump and every minority was for Clinton.

Figured it'd be a full on riot in here.

My view is this backfires, the Sox flail away badly and Tony is gone in one year or the Sox become a dynasty. This move has ALL or NOTHING written all over it. 

I am a Sox fan, I am used to dumb shit, but next April I'll be ready to go. 

• Like 2

• Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic