Tony La Russa named Manager

YourWhatHurts

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Seeing something like this might also mean that LaRussa is playing a persona for attention too, which is almost worse.

Wait - he did this 2 years ago - you really think he did that 2 years ago purely so he could get a job with the White Sox or someone else 2 years later.  This would seem pretty genuine. TLR was a freaking ambassador for the Angels - I don't really think he was that focused on managing his brand at that time.  

19 minutes ago, Orlando said:

First MLB player to kneel talks about how La Russa helped him. Seems good.

Not a fan of the kneeling myself, but I think this shows that fears he won’t get along with Tim and others are overblown. If anything, we need a bit of a hardass to take our talent and iron out some of the goofiness (looking at you, Eloy). Besides the bullpen idiocy, Ricky never seemed to do that.

My biggest gripe with TLR is age. For all our core pieces that are gonna be here until 2025 or so, that might be pushing it for LaRussa. I would have preferred a guy who was gonna take this crew to several playoffs and then bring in the next batch of talent and be here for years, if not decades.

1 minute ago, Dallas Kong said:

Not a fan of the kneeling myself, but I think this shows that fears he won’t get along with Tim and others are overblown. If anything, we need a bit of a hardass to take our talent and iron out some of the goofiness (looking at you, Eloy). Besides the bullpen idiocy, Ricky never seemed to do that.

My biggest gripe with TLR is age. For all our core pieces that are gonna be here until 2025 or so, that might be pushing it for LaRussa. I would have preferred a guy who was gonna take this crew to several playoffs and then bring in the next batch of talent and be here for years, if not decades.

GTFO with that reasonable take.

6 minutes ago, Dallas Kong said:

What's wrong with Eloy's personality? By all accounts he works hard AF, and he plays hard too. He has fun while he does it, and you want that taken out?

• Thanks 1

And people are talking about kneeling? I think a couple guys knelt the first game and that was it. Who in their right mind even talks about kneeling any longer?  Where are the discussions on black lives matter? You don’t even hear that any longer.

somebody should start a discussion about Rosa parks or the civil war. Lol

next

37 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I'm actually not sure where this Hahn theory comes from; Hahn is a lawyer, his strength was contracts and the likes. I think Hahn is pro-data and metrics and saw it as imperative to win. I don't think Hahn has any sort of background in analytics or data though.

Agree with your sentiment in general, just don't agree with "Hahn the data and analytics" guy. He's a sharp guy no doubt, and part of great management is giving jobs and roles to really smart people that know shit you do not, but Hahn isn't leading any data departments, or building and utilizing any data warehouses anytime soon.

I'll stand corrected if that is the case, I just remember hearing that being a main draw for his services.

2 minutes ago, mqr said:

Look I get having beef with the way people are talking about age but this is NOT the “gotcha!” some seem to think it is. 

B123940E-10E4-49DF-8888-3048D4ABB2E3.jpeg

We have the oldest POTUS, VP, and SOH in the history of this country. 

Good news is things are going great, so clearly this is a good strategy. Hopefully the White Sox can be as successful in 2021 as 2020 has been for all of us with these great experienced elderly leaders in charge.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Haha 1

I'm starting to get upset for my team and city after reading Twitter. Some Sox fans are brutalizing LaRussa verbally. One guy says he's "embarrassed." You'd think we hired Bozo the Clown or one of Andy the Clown's relatives instead of a HALL OF FAMER. My guess is it's concern about his age even if people won't admit "age-ism."

I thought my team and city could show more class than dismiss a Hall of Famer like this. Can't even wait and see? I can't wait til the few of us that support this move and/or are willing to give Tony-baby a chance get the last laugh. Go to Twitter, type in LaRussa and be embarrassed for some/most? Sox fans. Seriously. How bout welcoming Tony to town and giving him a chance.

Sorry if I'm out of line. I just got very upset reading Twitter.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, mqr said:

Look I get having beef with the way people are talking about age but this is NOT the “gotcha!” some seem to think it is. 

B123940E-10E4-49DF-8888-3048D4ABB2E3.jpeg

Joking aside, the president has a massive staff to help run things. TLR has a couple of coaches and that’s it. Even if Trump wins, he’s done at 78. I’d rather not go through the manager search again in 2 years.

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

What's wrong with Eloy's personality? By all accounts he works hard AF, and he plays hard too. He has fun while he does it, and you want that taken out?

I get that, and I know that anyone who hits 30 bombs in MLB has to have some great work ethic to get there. But the lollygagging on a relatively easy fly ball, tripping into the net and loafing there while it turns into an inside the park HR? C’mon man.

2 minutes ago, Dallas Kong said:

I get that, and I know that anyone who hits 30 bombs in MLB has to have some great work ethic to get there. But the lollygagging on a relatively easy fly ball, tripping into the net and loafing there while it turns into an inside the park HR? C’mon man.

I wish Eloys problems had anything to do with his effort as opposed to being uncoordinated and uncomfortable

Edited by mqr
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, runtheballdown said:

And people are talking about kneeling? I think a couple guys knelt the first game and that was it. Who in their right mind even talks about kneeling any longer?  Where are the discussions on black lives matter? You don’t even hear that any longer.

somebody should start a discussion about Rosa parks or the civil war. Lol

next

Nobody cares except to complain about looting and Antifa which was a Russian website. 

1 minute ago, mqr said:

I wish Eloys problems had anything to do with his effort as opposed to being uncoordinated and uncomfortable

effort (or lack of urgency -- which is a practice habit) def led to eloy doing his yakkety sax routine into the netting.  Dallas was right to call it out.  That's something only a transcendent hitter can get away with.  And for now Eloy ain't that.  Get that OPS+ up around 160 for a few years straight and for all I care he can start cutting off robert's throws manny style.

3 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I'm starting to get upset for my team and city after reading Twitter. Some Sox fans are brutalizing LaRussa verbally. One guy says he's "embarrassed." You'd think we hired Bozo the Clown or one of Andy the Clown's relatives instead of a HALL OF FAMER. My guess is it's concern about his age even if people won't admit "age-ism."

I thought my team and city could show more class than dismiss a Hall of Famer like this. Can't even wait and see? I can't wait til the few of us that support this move and/or are willing to give Tony-baby a chance get the last laugh. Go to Twitter, type in LaRussa and be embarrassed for some/most? Sox fans. Seriously. How bout welcoming Tony to town and giving him a chance.

Sorry if I'm out of line. I just got very upset reading Twitter.

I’m on the side of giving him a shot and optimistic about good players getting better with any new manager. I wouldn’t have considered La Russa, but it happened, and I’m not turning in my fan card over it. I hope he succeeds and the players have good relationships with him.

23 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I gotta say, it seems real bad that not a single player has tweeted a thing.

They probably asked them not to speak until he talks to them. They don't want guys getting into twitter fights with fans. And they also want to clear the air after emotions have settled. 

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

They probably asked them not to speak until he talks to them. They don't want guys getting into twitter fights with fans. And they also want to clear the air after emotions have settled. 

Seems like a pretty terrible hire if you have to put a gag order on your players. Not a great start to the relationship if this is the case.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

effort (or lack of urgency -- which is a practice habit) def led to eloy doing his yakkety sax routine into the netting.  Dallas was right to call it out.  That's something only a transcendent hitter can get away with.  And for now Eloy ain't that.  Get that OPS+ up around 160 for a few years straight and for all I care he can start cutting off robert's throws manny style.

Eloy gets up at 4am to work out and grind for 14 hours during the off-season.

I don't think he has a lack of urgency or work ethic. He was embarrassed falling into the net; he wasn't having a blast, at least I didn't see it that way. I don't think Eloy needs to change a thing about how he plays the game, I just think he needs to improve defensively which is probably a pipe dream because he's just not gifted in that way.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

• Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic