Tony La Russa named Manager

YourWhatHurts

13 minutes ago, Dallas Kong said:

Joking aside, the president has a massive staff to help run things. TLR has a couple of coaches and that’s it. Even if Trump wins, he’s done at 78. I’d rather not go through the manager search again in 2 years.

I don't care how old Tony is...he can fill out a lineup card better than RR.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, runtheballdown said:

The manager just runs the team he is given. Who ever has the best players has a good chance to win. Not sure why people here get upset all the time but if one pulls up old threads about hot topics about everyone Here was incorrect about what they said In the discussion.

We literally just lost a series with the better talent.

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Eloy gets up at 4am to work out and grind for 14 hours during the off-season.

I don't think he has a lack of urgency or work ethic. He was embarrassed falling into the net; he wasn't having a blast, at least I didn't see it that way. I don't think Eloy needs to change a damn thing about how he plays the game, I just think he needs to improve defensively which is probably a pipe dream because he's just not gifted in that way.

I dunno, man. Watching that play it seemed like he almost went out of his way to fall into the net and have a laugh.

Either way though, I don't expect him to be great in the field. With Robert in center, we can get away with below average more than most. I get that he's not gifted and that's fine. But there's still a limit, and some of the ridiculous moves that have gotten him hurt need to stop (the one where he drop kicked the wall). Just let it go!

True but RR is a poor manager and his moves looked flawed.what I should have said that better talent wins about 60% of the time in an arbitrary sport like baseball. In hockey it’s closer to 75 %.

and you’re correct about the Sox having better talent than Oakland. I compared the lineups and there wasn’t one A’s player that I would have taken over the corresponding Sox player, pitchers included. 

4 minutes ago, Dallas Kong said:

I dunno, man. Watching that play it seemed like he almost went out of his way to fall into the net and have a laugh.

Either way though, I don't expect him to be great in the field. With Robert in center, we can get away with below average more than most. I get that he's not gifted and that's fine. But there's still a limit, and some of the ridiculous moves that have gotten him hurt need to stop (the one where he drop kicked the wall). Just let it go!

I hear ya, it was frustrating for sure. Maybe he loses focus sometimes, I would have no idea. I get how he rubs some more serious people the wrong way, but him playing the game the way he does is great for drawing kids and etc into the game and the team. He has fun in a different way than Tim for example. I enjoy them both.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, fathom said:

I’m serious, people are acting like we just traded Robert, Eloy and Giolito for Pujols and Upton.  This isn’t like college basketball where a bad hire can cause everyone to transfer and not sign recruits.

People are acting like they were tricked and bamboozled again, which they were. And for a guy who is an obviously bad hire for several reasons.

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I hear ya, it was frustrating for sure. Maybe he loses focus sometimes, I would have no idea. I get how he rubs some more serious people the wrong way, but him playing the game the way he does is great for drawing kids and etc into the game and the team. He has fun in a different way than Tim for example. I enjoy them both.

Please don’t get me wrong- I think he’s a great ball player. After Tim, he is my favorite of the young talent and it’s not really close. I think he’s a terrific hitter and I don’t think we’ve yet seen his full ability either (would bet money on .300/40/100 next year) I agree with what you say about drawing people in.

I did rewatch Yelich’s homer against us. I was wrong to say he did it for a laugh (I think there was another play where he got caught in the net and was laughing about it?). But he was probably eight feet from the wall when he missed the ball; he ought to have the ability to hit the brakes and get back in that play quickly. I think TLR is a good choice to harness his talent and move to a greater level of focus. Don’t think he’ll ever be great in the field (again doesn’t have to be) but he can definitely be less clumsy and avoid injuries out there.

3 hours ago, tray said:

. JR is a Billionaire because he is pretty smart.  So relax withe the ageism and over-reaction.

Hahn needed to be checked or fired. This is a check on him and possibly a predicate for sending him packing.

I happen to like the chess move. 

Check.  Now wait for the next move.

You are insane

• Love 2

4 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

It’s baffling to me that they didn’t even interview Hinch. This organization is such a disaster from top to bottom 

My biggest question is, why wait until the season is done if they weren't going to interview Hinch to begin with? Just sign LaRussa already.

57 minutes ago, Dallas Kong said:

Not a fan of the kneeling myself, but I think this shows that fears he won’t get along with Tim and others are overblown. If anything, we need a bit of a hardass to take our talent and iron out some of the goofiness (looking at you, Eloy). Besides the bullpen idiocy, Ricky never seemed to do that.

My biggest gripe with TLR is age. For all our core pieces that are gonna be here until 2025 or so, that might be pushing it for LaRussa. I would have preferred a guy who was gonna take this crew to several playoffs and then bring in the next batch of talent and be here for years, if not decades.

You mean the team of players where not a single player has said anything about this today? Not a single tweet, interview or comment from a current player. No, sounds like everyone is thrilled. 

1 hour ago, Tony said:

It's a very valid question at this point. If the trade deadline comes and Tony wants another bullpen arm and Rick thinks they don't need one....who wins the argument? Do they both have to make their case to Jerry? 

Did Renteria have a say in calling up Rodon?

Don Cooper was higher on the organization chart last season (reporting to Kenny) over their manager (reporting to Hahn). 

Oh man, I didn't see this earlier:

So tony is a part of the "stop trying even though the game isn't over" crowd. As for Tony's last sentence, yes Tony that is what you're trying to do. Score more runs. The pitcher could try to throw strikes and not fall behind 3-0. Good chat, see ya out there.

Tim, who said the only thing Tatis did wrong was apologize I'm sure will really love playing for the dinosaur. When Carl Everett comes back for the '05 anniversary, we'll be able to show him a dinosaur in person and shut his conspiracy nonsense down!

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Haha 1

• Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic