Tony La Russa named Manager

YourWhatHurts

2 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

I hope when Hahn and KW sit down with TLR to discuss options for the coaching staff that they suggest TLR to look at Jirschele for Bench Coach. He can learn under a Hall of Famer and he already knows most of the players on the roster. 

There is zero chance that they have this type of input.  TLR is basically for all intensive purposes Kennys peer.  

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I get it, and I'm just saying I never thought Tony was anything special or any good in the first place so my stance on him now is that he was a shit then, and he's shit now. I get that I am in the minority, and that is 100% OK. I know many thought Tony was a great manager; I always thought people thought that because Tony anyone willing to listen.

Are you just looking at his Sox years or overall? I'll agree his Sox years didn't put him in the hall. We're getting the before and after of his best, hall of fame worthy, years. 

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So you're saying it would have been a reasonable step to interview him and actually consider who the best person for the job was based on their thinking about the position rather than making a decision based on the 1980s? That's a fascinating concept. I wonder if other businesses conduct these sorts of interviews for employment positions prior to hiring them. Seems like a smart way to run a business, to be frank. In fact, I wonder what type of business wouldn't conduct those sorts of interviews. Seems like it might say something poor about them, to have a potential candidate who might be pretty good quality and then just ignore him, refuse to interview or consider him, because your 1980s drinkin' buddy is available. 

I feel like the majority of us understand why this is bad. I'm still rolling my eyes at a few posters but between this and Ricky's lack of competence as a manager, not sure I've seen this board more united since the Sox won it all in '05.

As usual, a few reasons to be hopeful but so many more reasons how and why this will likely be a disaster.

1 minute ago, RagahRagah said:

I feel like the majority of us understand why this is bad. I'm still rolling my eyes at a few posters but between this and Ricky's lack of competence as a manager, not sure I've seen this board more united since the Sox won it all in '05.

As usual, a few reasons to be hopeful but so many more reasons how and why this will likely be a disaster.

Machado day.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Are you just looking at his Sox years or overall? I'll agree his Sox years didn't put him in the hall. We're getting the before and after of his best, hall of fame worthy, years. 

No, I'm looking at his entire career. 

Cheated in Oakland; those A's teams had more cheaters than any roster in the sports history. No one will ever call out Rickey, but don't be stupid... loved Rickey, but Rickey loved vitamins. He was an ass in Oakland; he showed huge favoritism towards McGwire, Rickey absolutely hated him and he wasn't alone in that hate. Everything Canseco said about LaRussa I'd bet my life is true. Terry Bevington could have won with those Oakland teams.

When he went to the Cardinals he was trash; disrespect Ozzie. Ridiculed Rolen causing a big rift in the locker room. Tony comes from an era where players were held "accountable" in a much more college way. He carried that with him with the Cardinals. 

I always ask people to tell me what Tony was great at. I never get an answer. I hear he was innovated - batting the pitcher 8th - but all his innovations were analyzed and proven to be complete nonsense and worthless. So what was Tony LaRussa great out besides being surrounded by great players for a few years and winning with them? 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Machado day.

Which actually seems like we were wrong about. We’ll never know what would have happened but I’d say the majority would agree that what we spent on instead has been fantastic... and we’re still not done ( hopefully ).

2 hours ago, Dallas Kong said:

yOuR lOgIc Is SuBpAr SiR

Trolling doesn't phase me. If you don't have anything useful to say, I just laugh at you.

There's nothing funnier than silencing someone's poor takes with reasoning for them to fail to provide counterpoints and eventually disappear only to reappear later to attempt a pitiful "revenge" post. I'm interested in good, productive discussion; not dick-measuring contests to try to gain attention and get people to admire my wit.

Disappearances are silent concessions. Not commendable, but at least subtle. Then stuff like this happens. You're better off just staying silent.

Edited by RagahRagah
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

I would of liked them to have at least interviewed AJ Hinch.  There was zero rush to just flat out hire Tony.  Outside of us who was his market.  He wasnt going to go to the Tigers or the Red Sox.  There was no rush.  This seemed to me a manufactured deal to give a man JR thought he wronged a silver platter for a final championship to remember him by.  

This.

This whole decision comes down to Reinsdorf prioritizing clearing his conscience on what he feels was his worst regret as owner of the Sox (snicker) over what was truly best for this team and organization as they head into this competitive window they’ve worked so hard to get to.

It’s really no different  than when Reinsdorf prioritized his hard-line, personal agenda in the labor negotiations back in 1994 over what was best for the White Sox organization and its fans.  He got the strike he wanted, which was more important to him than a rare but potential White Sox World Series championship that season and how much the team’s long suffering fans would have loved and appreciated that experience.  

So as usual, the White Sox franchise finds itself trying to win in spite of having an owner who constantly makes it tougher, not easier, to do so.   

• Like 1

Just now, RagahRagah said:

Was it? I feel like a lot of people really didn't want him, whether it was because of the high price tag or the Johnny Hustle comments.

1 minute ago, hi8is said:

Which actually seems like we were wrong about. We’ll never know what would have happened but I’d say the majority would agree that what we spent on instead has been fantastic... and we’re still not done ( hopefully ).

Even the people who didn't want him...had heard Rick Hahn saying they wouldn't be outbid and they were going to add a "middle of the order bat" the entire offseason. You had a handful of people like that, just like today.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Let the record show that Green Line, Jerksticks, ChiSox1917, brett05, IWokeUpLikeThis, tray, 35thstreetswarm and KnightsOnMintSt support the Tony La Russa hire.

greg775 has a throbbing time piece for this move, while RagahRagah had a great response to his “excited” post.

And the La Russa jokes in this thread have been spot on!

Um, let whatever record you're keeping reflect that 35thstreetswarm said he did *not* support the TLR hiring about five times in the last day.  Though not sure what you’re hoping to accomplish with this.

On 10/12/2020 at 12:44 PM, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Boo hoo. You don't think anybody deserves a 2nd chance? Should we stray away from any player who has been caught roiding as well? That's a poor way to construct a club. You limit yourself too much.

People make mistakes and they learn. You hire Hinch if he is the best candidate out there, no question.

I believe there are some things you just don't recover from. Sports are filled with guys that stepped over lines that shouldn't be crossed. Systematic cheating at that level is one. 

Now I'm not saying that justified hiring Tony over several other non scandal tainted candidates like Alomar etc. But I think you can build a championship team without bringing in cheaters.

Logging off, but wanted to add one last thought; I think so many have simply forgotten about the Scott Rolen ordeal in 2006.

Could you imagine Rick Renteria sitting Tim Anderson in a WS game to make a point? Soxtalk would explode; the in-game thread would reach such lengths that the LOTR trilogy would be envious of. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Even the people who didn't want him...had heard Rick Hahn saying they wouldn't be outbid and they were going to add a "middle of the order bat" the entire offseason. You had a handful of people like that, just like today.

Yeah, to be fair even a lot of the naysayers would probably have still been a bit excited for obvious reasons.

8 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

No, I'm looking at his entire career. 

Cheated in Oakland; those A's teams had more cheaters than any roster in the sports history. No one will ever call out Rickey, but don't be stupid... loved Rickey, but Rickey loved vitamins. He was an ass in Oakland; he showed huge favoritism towards McGwire, Rickey absolutely hated him and he wasn't alone in that hate. Everything Canseco said about LaRussa I'd bet my life is true. Terry Bevington could have won with those Oakland teams.

When he went to the Cardinals he was trash; disrespect Ozzie. Ridiculed Rolen causing a big rift in the locker room. Tony comes from an era where players were held "accountable" in a much more college way. He carried that with him with the Cardinals. 

I always ask people to tell me what Tony was great at. I never get an answer. I hear he was innovated - batting the pitcher 8th - but all his innovations were analyzed and proven to be complete nonsense and worthless. So what was Tony LaRussa great out besides being surrounded by great players for a few years and winning with them? 

Fair enough. What criteria do you use to determine who is a great manager? I think managers get too much credit and too much blame.

I'm trying to think of a great manager who wasn't surrounded by great players? 

• Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic