Tony La Russa named Manager

YourWhatHurts

1 minute ago, Texsox said:

Fair enough. What criteria do you use to determine who is a great manager? I think managers get too much credit and too much blame.

I'm trying to think of a great manager who wasn't surrounded by great players? 

A "great" manager can at least handle basic decisions based on basic stats, and a lot of managers can't d this.

And this context being relative to the time period we are currently in is what you have to keep in mind. It's not the 80's or even the 90's anymore.

1 minute ago, Texsox said:

Fair enough. What criteria do you use to determine who is a great manager? I think managers get too much credit and too much blame.

Do you think players would flock to play for Mike Ditka if Mrs McCaskey decided to give him one last run at glory.   I mean he was a superbowl coach.  Do you think just because he was a good coach that his style of coaching would resonate with the players of today.   

3 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Bruce Bochy = Great Manager

Never about Bruce. Good tactician, manages BP solidly. Won in places with money and without. Never a peep out of his clubhouses in 30 years. The consummate professional. Teams overacehived much more than they underachieved.

Tito = Great manager

Never about Tito. Great with his guys; maybe the best manager of huge personalities the game has ever had. Overachieved much more than underachieved. Never a negative word said about the guy from anyone. Good manager of his bullpen and good effort from his guys always.

Have a good night; been a fun day on Soxtalk! A semi-return to normalcy as everything shuts down around us.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Seems like you were doing exactly what you were claiming not to be doing in that post. 😆

He singled me out. I responded.

I will never fail to respond to someone who is engaging with me, whether it be discussing, challenging or trolling.

Edited by RagahRagah

26 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

I would of liked them to have at least interviewed AJ Hinch.  There was zero rush to just flat out hire Tony.  Outside of us who was his market.  He wasnt going to go to the Tigers or the Red Sox.  There was no rush.  This seemed to me a manufactured deal to give a man JR thought he wronged a silver platter for a final championship to remember him by.  

That's a very interesting take. And it may not be far fetched. Reinny is a very loyal fellow. Thinking that he is sorry for firing Tony and wants to make amends isn't out of the question to me.

18 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Um, let whatever record you're keeping reflect that 35thstreetswarm said he did *not* support the TLR hiring about five times in the last day.  Though not sure what you’re hoping to accomplish with this.

Edited. Just keeping a list for later in case they don’t win a World Series with La Russa. And if I’m wrong I’ll gladly eat crow.

Oh, and pointing out how much of a throbbing time piece greg775 has for the hire.

Edited by The Beast

11 minutes ago, fathom said:

For the record, my pick to not click with Tony is Moncada. Just seems like someone who he won’t get along with.

Why do you think that? Moncada seems to be a pretty mellow steady guy. If there were a guy who I think may well have a problem with La Russa, it might be Grandal or Anderson or a high strung pitcher or two.

7 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

Do you think players would flock to play for Mike Ditka if Mrs McCaskey decided to give him one last run at glory.   I mean he was a superbowl coach.  Do you think just because he was a good coach that his style of coaching would resonate with the players of today.   

Baseball coach just needs to make good calls during game. Football is about having a good quarterback regardless of coach. 

2 minutes ago, Middle Buffalo said:

At this point, I just want to see how he puts his staff together. Hopefully, whoever he picks as his bench coach is chosen with the idea that he’ll take over in 2 or 3 years when TLR retires.

The key hire to me is the pitching coach. Pitching was mainly the reason why I wanted Sandy Alomar to be hired as the Sox manager. I was a Don Cooper advocate throughout his long career with the Sox but it became obvious to me in the last 4-5 years that the new baseball and the game itself has passed him by. They need to get a pitching coach that can relate to the current baseball, the spin rate changes, new training routines, and what changes in terms of putting together a pitching staff should be.

15 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Edited. Just keeping a list for later in case they don’t win a World Series with La Russa. And if I’m wrong I’ll gladly eat crow.

Oh, and pointing out how much of a throbbing time piece greg775 has for the hire.

I do think they can probably win a WS with him (and just about any of the candidates on the list).  Still not crazy about it tho

• Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic