Tony La Russa named Manager

YourWhatHurts

8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Fascinating. I wonder if I might have known that before writing the post and you should go back and reread the context. 

Probably. Doesn't mean I'm any less upset about it as a Colts fan. I'd've loved BOB to run the Texans into the ground for another decade plus. That said, he actually wasn't a terrible coach, just the worst GM I've ever seen.

Regarding the topic, managers, much like coaches and QBs in the NFL, get way too much credit for winning and way too much blame for losing. Talent will carry either way, unless the manager is just incredibly bad. The White Sox are going to need to build a superteam to compete with the top tier of MLB teams, which is basically the Dodgers and maybe the Rays and Yankees. The talent exists for it to happen, but development will have to go their way or they'll have to go buy a Trevor Bauer or some player(s) of that caliber. I don't think LaRussa swings the pendulum much in either direction.

15 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Houston Texans. Watson is really good. Bill O'Brien should have no problems this season.

Watson is good but overrated. Severe accuracy issues down the field and is no longer bailed out by Hopkins. He is a second tier QB at best in the NFL. But when healhy, the Texans have won division championships. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

Probably. Doesn't mean I'm any less upset about it as a Colts fan. I'd've loved BOB to run the Texans into the ground for another decade plus. That said, he actually wasn't a terrible coach, just the worst GM I've ever seen.

Regarding the topic, managers, much like coaches and QBs in the NFL, get way too much credit for winning and way too much blame for losing. Talent will carry either way, unless the manager is just incredibly bad. The White Sox are going to need to build a superteam to compete with the top tier of MLB teams, which is basically the Dodgers and maybe the Rays and Yankees. The talent exists for it to happen, but development will have to go their way or they'll have to go buy a Trevor Bauer or some player(s) of that caliber. I don't think LaRussa swings the pendulum much in either direction.

Well, first of all, let's just all note that "Sure this is a terrible move but maybe managers don't matter!" is a really rotten take overall and one I'd really like to stop hearing as though it's some sort of justification for bad moves.

But second point...maybe the difference between most "average" managers is small, but we've seen what good and bad managers can mean for franchises over the past few years. How many games did RR specifically cost this year? 3? 4? In a shortened season? Robin Ventura was a nightmare who couldn't possibly have cared less for the last 4 years. On the other hand, it didn't work out in game 6...but seriously, how on Earth did the Rays get to the World Series? They did it by rigorously following a set of well-designed rules and acting them out.

5 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Watson is good but overrated. Severe accuracy issues down the field and is no longer bailed out by Hopkins. He is a second tier QB at best in the NFL. But when healhy, the Texans have won division championships. 

Just when he leaves, you pullllll me back in.

A SECOND TIER QB? Inaccurate down field?

Wuhhhhhhttttt? Watson leads the NFL in Y/A this year and a 70% completion rate. So he throws the ball further down field than any QB in the NFL this year and has the 7th highest completion % in the NFL.

A second Tier QB, sheeeeesh. Watson is one of the best of the best. He does all that behind an awful o-line. Watson is one of the 5-7 best QBs in the NFL.

1 hour ago, hi8is said:

Which actually seems like we were wrong about. We’ll never know what would have happened but I’d say the majority would agree that what we spent on instead has been fantastic... and we’re still not done ( hopefully ).

Sure, if you make it Luis Robert's extension, Moncada's and perhaps being able to re-sign Giolito as well (being the financial tradeoff where all that money was reallocated.)

That said, if you looked at 2019 in isolation, clearly from every possible perspective, Moncada was better.

In 2020, Machado was clearly the impact player you wanted on your roster.

We'll see what a full 2021 season (crosses fingers) actually holds for Moncada's hopefully full recovery (at least as a hitter.)

Neither hate nor like the move, but it's entirely predictable for those who've followed LaRussa and Reinsdorf over the years.

Would love to hear what Harrelson and KW are thinking about it today, we know it wasn't Hahn's choice.

All that said, it will be quite obvious the first half of the season if the game has passed him by, and, most importantly, if he can still command a clubhouse and gain the respect of the players without alienating Anderson and the Latin American players.  How well Abreu, Anderson and Keuchel/Giolito accept this management change will go a long ways towards deciding the fate of our competitive window.

It's likely another name like Maddon or Cora or Hinch becomes more palatable a year from now if things don't work out.

Right now, we're currently the #5 ranked team in the very early off-season.   Will we still be a Top 5 team the day LaRussa is no longer the manager, that's the biggest question.  A World Series victory/re-retirement would virtually ensure that.   Right now, a championship likely going through the Dodgers/Padres if if if we can overcome the Twins/Indians first within our own division.

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

Yeah but AJ Hinch ain't winning shit in Detroit. 

Even if they spend a bit in free agency, it’s going to be a challenge for him in the beginning because their lineup is inexperienced. It will take them a couple years to be contenders again.

Edited by maloney.adam

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Respect is earned, not given. Arguing otherwise is complete nonsense. 

Universal respect for people older than you was merely a power mechanism. Don't give people things they are not worthy of, and they did not earn.

Tray wants respect just for surviving a certain number of trips around the sun? Sure sounds like a participation trophy to me...

• Haha 1

I'll say it: While I don't love the hire, the outrage online is RIDICULOUS

At the minimum, this team just upgraded at manager

IF TLR surrounds himself with a good staff, I'll be ecstatic

Cora wasn't an option here (He'll be back in Boston) and Hinch was a product of an excellent FO

TLR will be competent at the minimum and that will, hopefully, be all we need

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Cora wasn't an option here (He'll be back in Boston) and Hinch was a product of an excellent FO

I feel like we just replaced one arrogant, old-fashioned manager with another one - except this one now has veto power over everything the now demoted GM might want to do.

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

I feel like we just replaced one arrogant, old-fashioned manager with another one - except this one now has veto power over everything the now demoted GM might want to do.

I keep seeing this notion as well, why? TLR will manage and Hahn/KW will be the FO

I like FOs that stay out of managing, is that okay?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Just when he leaves, you pullllll me back in.

A SECOND TIER QB? Inaccurate down field?

Wuhhhhhhttttt? Watson leads the NFL in Y/A this year and a 70% completion rate. So he throws the ball further down field than any QB in the NFL this year and has the 7th highest completion % in the NFL.

A second Tier QB, sheeeeesh. Watson is one of the best of the best. He does all that behind an awful o-line. Watson is one of the 5-7 best QBs in the NFL.

He is inaccurate downfield and has been since college. Even completed passes are poorly located. His mid range is good and he can extend plays with his legs. Good qb but not as great as people think. He gets a ton of stats late in games/garbage time. And I'd take the following Qbs over him right now. 

Mahommes

Brady

Wilson

Rodgers

Dak

Jackson

Brees

Josh Allen

Goff

Big Ben

7 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Well I am glad to hear it.  We just hired Jimmy's grand father as the CEO of your new company.  He was friends with the owner.  Now back ten years ago he was a great leader.  I think he can be just as effective. Now a few things.  He has spoken up against any of the people of color protesting or acting as part of any social justice.  He says he wont discriminate against them however, he just was on TV saying that he is absolutely against it and people should be fired who do such things.  At a previous company a Mr Gant had filed a complaint against him.  Now even though you have this up and coming state of the art analytics department that other competitors have used to get ahead of the business.  He just demoted the VP of it and said he will use it for information but will use his gut to make business decisions. Business is about the gut and not about computers.   He is currently in contact with several of his former buddies to bring them out of retirement  to run the company.  

Edited by southsideirish71
  • Haha 1

• Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic