Tony La Russa named Manager

YourWhatHurts

7 minutes ago, The Hawk said:

What are you talking about? The guy came through Covid-19 which wrecked him physically. And despite that illness and the effect that it had on his hitting, played as good a 3rd base defensively as anyone in all of baseball. YOu think he "dogged it"?

Nothing to do with this year. Since he’s been here, it seems he can’t run hard without limping back to the dugout. I know the organization has said he has to figure out if he’s hurting or actually injured.

2 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

I think justifiably so, the team just did the exact opposite of what you’ve been preparing to do for the past year or so, the writing had been on the wall this entire time, you could have hired a manager to grow with the team flip the switch to modern baseball and instead you do this. Just shocking and makes me more pissed the more I talk about it but it’s like watching a train wreck and not being able to look away.

How is it the "opposite"?  The Sox have hired a manager with experience, WS titles, 6 pennants, led 12 90+ win teams, in the Hall of Fame, will be second-winningest manager of all time this year, and by far the winningest manager since baseball integrated. He's bilingual.

The only other WS titled managers on the sidelines were both banned from the game in 2020 for their roles in the worst team-wide cheating scandal in the history of the game. If one of them had been hired, it would have had its own set of repercussions. 

LaRussa may or may not work. But given his track record, he deserves a lot more respect than Sox fans are giving him. 

• Fire 2

Just now, VAfan said:

How is it the "opposite"?  The Sox have hired a manager with experience, WS titles, 6 pennants, led 12 90+ win teams, in the Hall of Fame, will be second-winningest manager of all time this year, and by far the winningest manager since baseball integrated. He's bilingual.

The only other WS titled managers on the sidelines were both banned from the game in 2020 for their roles in the worst team-wide cheating scandal in the history of the game. If one of them had been hired, it would have had its own set of repercussions. 

LaRussa may or may not work. But given his track record, he deserves a lot more respect than Sox fans are giving him. 

Seconded completely, the ridicule is ridiculous

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Nothing to do with this year. Since he’s been here, it seems he can’t run hard without limping back to the dugout. I know the organization has said he has to figure out if he’s hurting or actually injured.

Its pretty ovious to me that they guys has got extremely tight hamstrings. He's built like an NFL running back and the quick starts and stops in baseball aggravate his hamstrings. 

One more thing I'll add since I just listened to his conference. TLR mentioned that he places a premium on putting the ball in play, hates striking out, and thinks you still need to "play for one run" (bunt) at times. How do we think he would line up the 2020 Sox? I'd guess:

1. Madrigal

2. Anderson

3. Abreu

4. Moncada

5. Jimenez

6. Encarnacion/McCann (DH)

7. Grandal

8. Robert

9. Mazara/Engel 

(I would hate this but it seems to match his philosophy better)

4 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

The Anthem and Military support are political? Should be unifying national pride, not partisan

Yes, they are paid for by the DOD as a BS recruitment tactic and fake patriotism.  Specifically the flyovers and whatnot.

Edited by SoxFanForever
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

One more thing I'll add since I just listened to his conference. TLR mentioned that he places a premium on putting the ball in play, hates striking out, and thinks you still need to "play for one run" (bunt) at times. How do we think he would line up the 2020 Sox? I'd guess:

1. Madrigal

2. Anderson

3. Abreu

4. Moncada

5. Jimenez

7. Grandal

8. Robert

9. Mazara/Engel 

THIS is the content I'm here for

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RagahRagah said:

Trolling doesn't phase me. If you don't have anything useful to say, I just laugh at you.

There's nothing funnier than silencing someone's poor takes with reasoning for them to fail to provide counterpoints and eventually disappear only to reappear later to attempt a pitiful "revenge" post. I'm interested in good, productive discussion; not dick-measuring contests to try to gain attention and get people to admire my wit.

Disappearances are silent concessions. Not commendable, but at least subtle. Then stuff like this happens. You're better off just staying silent.

Trolling doesn’t phase you? Guy, you’re on an anonymous internet message board. You’re not gonna get punched, you’re not going to get fired, and you’re not going to lose your place in mommy’s basement. Not over anything that occurs here. If anything here phases you, it’d be an even greater sign that you need counseling. You get zero credit for being unphased.

The reason I “disappeared” from our last conversation is the same I reason I made a joke about you here. You talk a lot about logic and reason but show little of it. You criticized the logic I used in making a purely subjective statement of my own beliefs, which doesn’t make any sense. Rather than making you some sort of Glorious Man of the Enlightenment, your talk about logic is just air.

Seriously, only a teenager could combine your level of pretension and idiocy into one small package. So have fun prepping for the SATs and wondering if you’ll get a handy after prom, little man. Adios.

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

But you said you didn't like politics in sports. Oh, you meant your politics are cool? The black athletes should just shut up and dribble though. I know your type. I got it now. 

Patriotism is not politics the way I see it. Flyovers and standing for the national anthem are not political and do not reflect anything other than honoring our veterans and those who died and were wounded in defending out country. As for "knowing my type", leave this alone with me. I do not want to get into it with you on anything that has to do with politics.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Fire 1

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

What? No where did I call you an idiot. 

Tony is an idiot using two words together that don't belong. Decision analytics is a thing. Analytics is a thing. Observation is a thing. Observational analytics is nonsense. 

Tony is not an idiot when it comes to baseball. What he's talking about is using his eyes, his experience, along with all the data he's aware of to analyze the situations within a game to make decisions.  And observation is how scientists arrive at a lot of the data that make up analytics. 

11 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

The Anthem and Military support are political? Should be unifying national pride, not partisan

Just the fact you used the world 'should' shows it's political. Once one group starts telling people what they should be thinking or doing, that's politics. There's an entire set of political ideology that is opposed to militarism BTW. How that escaped your education at this point is beyond me.

Edited by Vulture
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Based on his press conference, you just get the idea that he doesn't even know the team that well. I don't mean knowing them personally, I mean literally knowing who is on the roster. Hopefully he gets in contact with them all over the coming days

You don't think Tony LaRussa knows who is on the roster????

The man does his homework. How else do you think he's been so successful? Of course he knows the roster. He may not have watched all the games, but he knows who is on the team. He wouldn't have been interested in the job unless it had the right makeup of youth, guys coming into their prime, and vets. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

1. Madrigal

2. Anderson

3. Abreu

4. Moncada

5. Jimenez

7. Grandal

8. Robert

9. Mazara/Engel 

Madrigal = Eckstein

2 minutes ago, VAfan said:

The man does his homework. How else do you think he's been so successful? Of course he knows the roster. He may not have watched all the games, but he knows who is on the team. He wouldn't have been interested in the job unless it had the right makeup of youth, guys coming into their prime, and vets. 

Speaking of watching games, I read he attended 150+ games during a season with Boston...obviously in a lesser role...This guy is a baseball lifer and arguably the greatest ever

I

7 minutes ago, The Hawk said:

Patriotism is not politics the way I see it. Flyovers and standing for the national anthem are not political and do not reflect anything other than honoring our veterans and those who died and were wounded in defending out country. As for "knowing my type", leave this alone with me. I do not want to get into it with you on anything that has to do with politics.

Patriotism is absolutely political. Its not really a matter of opinion.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VAfan said:

Obviously I think he'll know the roster by the time there are games, but it seemed weird to me that the only player he named in an hour was Tim Anderson

6 minutes ago, The Hawk said:

Poster named "The Hawk" joins and posts extreme meatball takes along with controversial and outdated opinions, to a tune of 13 posts a day right off the bat. 

Totally not a duplicate account. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Poster named "The Hawk" joins and posts extreme meatball takes along with controversial and outdated opinions, to a tune of 13 posts a day right off the bat. 

Totally not a duplicate account. 

ignore me then. I give  a care what you think of my "takes".

• Haha 1

• Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic