Tony La Russa named Manager

YourWhatHurts

8 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

Notice I don't do any of the name-calling around here. When someone has to call someone a "little man" it shows you how weak their arguing skills actually are. And then they only intensify that once you call them out for it. A person with strong comprehension skills doesn't need to enact such behavior. Period.

I never have a problem with civil discussion. Unfortunately any debate eventually has to have a closing point and once an ego is bruised that usually tends to be it.

Are you this insufferable in person? We get it, you’re great! Your logic is impeccable. You are totally civil! You never take a joke, because everything, even sports, is super serious and must be discussed with nothing less than the utmost focus and concern!

Geezus. Lighten up, Francis.

1 minute ago, RagahRagah said:

You misunderstand me. I'm not saying they are forced to, but that the perception/narrative from many is that you have to do it simply because it's your duty. You know just as well as I do that a lot of people are actually militant with this shit. Which makes it feel forced/unnatural. Obviously this mentality leads to doing a lot of things for the same reason. And I have never understood how people allow themselves to be manipulated that way.

That dog doesn't hunt. No one is forced to stand for the anthem let alone sing the anthem. A helluva lot of people do, however. It is a great thing for me and my friends and family to do before a major event. We aren't "manipulated" in any way either.  I am a veteran myself and the honor that my fellow Americans share with me when that song plays is a joyful one. If someone doesn't want to do this that is fine with me. Just don't disrespect me or mock me for doing it as that would piss me off and cause trouble for the both of us.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Dallas Kong said:

Feel free to point out where you kicked my butt the other day. You said the Astros didn’t get punished enough, I said Hinch and Luhnow got suspended, you said that wasn’t enough, I said cheating was less meaningful to me in light of baseball’s steroid issue. You then started going on about how great your logic was compared to mine. I walked away because I got tired of talking to a rock.

Yeah, that's such a pinpoint accurate, totally non-hyperbolic representation of how it happened.

Saying something disgraceful doesn't bother you simply because you accept that it happens all the time is grade-school level stuff. "Everyone's doing drugs so it's totally ok."

I've heard this nonsense regarding political figures. "Seriously, who cares that he cheated on his wife? They all do it." (I have heard people say that verbatim) It's absurd.

Just now, The Hawk said:

That dog doesn't hunt. No one is forced to stand for the anthem let alone sing the anthem. A helluva lot of people do, however. It is a great thing for me and my friends and family to do before a major event. We aren't "manipulated" in any way either.  I am a veteran myself and the honor that my fellow Americans share with me when that song plays is a joyful one. If someone doesn't want to do this that is fine with me. Just don't disrespect me or mock me for doing it as that would piss me off and cause trouble for the both of us.

Thank you for your service, you are appreciated greatly

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

8 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This is all amazing. Thank you for defining observation for all of us.

Unless Tony Larussa eyes are a literal fffing computer, he doesn't practice observational analytics.

Analytics is the systematic computational analysis of statistics/data. So unless Tony is robocop and I didnt know it, it's a made up word and complete nonsense basically claiming youre smarter than information and process images like a computer. 

Humans are actually able to perform computational analysis with their little old brains. That's how you can cross street traffic without getting killed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

Again, transparent excuse.

When someone asks you questions and requests explanations, gets them and then totally ignores them and ignores the questions you pose to THEM... you can say whatever you want but you're not fooling me.

I wasn't presenting *my* logic, but just logic. Everyone who seems to have friction with me really loves their fallacies and are terribly unaware of how many they wrap their arguments around on a consistent basis.

You’re welcome to point out the exact fallacy. Did I miss a question you asked? I don’t remember ignoring any specific question. By all means, remind me.

I don’t have friction with you. Frankly, you’re not worth having friction with. No one here is. You amuse me, and I do think you are just babbling when you talk about logic because I still never see you use any. Feel free to prove me wrong.

Also, I do enjoy @hi8is clear annoyance at this conversation.

2 minutes ago, Dallas Kong said:

Are you this insufferable in person? We get it, you’re great! Your logic is impeccable. You are totally civil! You never take a joke, because everything, even sports, is super serious and must be discussed with nothing less than the utmost focus and concern!

Geezus. Lighten up, Francis.

I am very "lightened." I have a sense of humor.

But it's funny how people are so serious with their arguments until they get shown up and then suddenly it's nothing but petulance and attempts to soften the blows. "Hey, lighten up, man!" Yeah, people tend to say that when they get shown up. But if it was you that got the upper hand and I disappeared you think you'd still have the same feeling? Of course not. Just like no one is ever really sorry for cheating until they get caught.

You keep deflecting everything I'm saying and failing to acknowledge it and then resorting to ad hominem (Oh hey, look... another fallacy) and snarky remarks because, AGAIN, you lack the reasoning ability.

The act is transparent and I'm not fooled, and I know you can't admit when you've made a mistake. So better to move on. Why keep responding to me?

9 minutes ago, The Hawk said:

If someone doesn't want to do this that is fine with me. Just don't disrespect me or mock me for doing it as that would piss me off and cause trouble for the both of us.

So in your little hypothetical scenario here, you're going to tell someone what to do, seek compliance via threat,, blame them for your own actions when they don't comply, and then turn around and claim it's not political. That's the definition of politics in a nutshell there homey.

Edited by Vulture
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Dallas Kong said:

You’re welcome to point out the exact fallacy. Did I miss a question you asked? I don’t remember ignoring any specific question. By all means, remind me.

I don’t have friction with you. Frankly, you’re not worth having friction with. No one here is. You amuse me, and I do think you are just babbling when you talk about logic because I still never see you use any. Feel free to prove me wrong.

Also, I do enjoy @hi8is clear annoyance at this conversation.

You missed plenty at the time. You're still ignoring virtually all of my points NOW so asking me what you missed in retrospect is frankly obtuse.

You think I am babbling because you lack comprehension. You keep deflecting everything I say and keep responding with childish remarks. Over and over. I'm glad you are amused but I am not. I have already proved you wrong numerous times just by your unwillingness to even address most of what I say. Yet you keep responding to me. One of these days maybe you will post a response that actually is relevant and doesn't dodge everything.

Whatever you want to call it. A few posters tend to resort to ad hominem and childish remarks and there's only one reason for it: lack of ability to actually argue a point. Period.

Edited by RagahRagah

Hall of fame list added to. Ah... it’s so much nicer in this thread now.

Now let’s try getting things back on track.

It’ll be interesting to see how players respond before spring training and how the rest of the coaching staff is rounded out.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

Yeah, that's such a pinpoint accurate, totally non-hyperbolic representation of how it happened.

Saying something disgraceful doesn't bother you simply because you accept that it happens all the time is grade-school level stuff. "Everyone's doing drugs so it's totally ok."

I've heard this nonsense regarding political figures. "Seriously, who cares that he cheated on his wife? They all do it." (I have heard people say that verbatim) It's absurd.

Thank you!

Genuinely, thank you for finally pointing out what bothered you so much.

You can dislike that it doesn’t bother me, but that won’t change it. Sorry you think it’s childish. I grew up in the 90s so I looked at baseball as some sort of holy thing. It was innocent. Everyone played baseball, everyone followed baseball, me and my friends knew all the records and traded cards over lunch. Rickey Henderson, Tony Gwynn, Wade Boggs, Kirby Puckett, and, of course, Frank Thomas were household names to us. I could have recited certain of their stat lines like the back of my hand.

Then 1998 came around. Maris’ record, something that was absolutely meaningful and untouchable to us as kids, was gone, the victim of a couple of drug pounding lunatics. Couple years later that new “record” was smashed by another guy in cartoonish fashion. 61+ has now been done multiple times, all meaningless. 500 homeruns was special and when I was a kid we could name all those guys- now, that list has names on it like Gary freaking Sheffield.

That was when baseball grew up for me. I still enjoy the game. I love the Sox. I even understand that steroids helped baseball draw in more fans and survive as a business. But I hated how it denigrated the game and, because it did, denigrating the game doesn’t have the same impact it would have had on me in 1997. Maybe that makes me a sentimental old fart, and maybe you think the logic sucks, but no, I am not going to be all that worked up about what the Astros did. It just doesn’t raise my hackles at all, really.

Drugs and marriage are totally different and not comparable to this at all. If you cheat on your spouse, you’re ruining lives. Same with drugs. Apples to oranges.

6 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Hall of fame list added to. Ah... it’s so much nicer in this thread now.

Now let’s try getting things back on track.

It’ll be interesting to see how players respond before spring training and how the rest of the coaching staff is rounded out.

Just hope he brings his roids guy onto the strength and conditioning staff

2 minutes ago, ChiSox1917 said:

Just hope he brings his roids guy onto the strength and conditioning staff

Breaking news: Tony LaRussa adds Victor Conte to White Sox training staff and hires Sheriff Joe Arpaio as bench coach. 

Edited by Yearnin' for Yermin
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Dallas Kong said:

Thank you!

Genuinely, thank you for finally pointing out what bothered you so much.

You can dislike that it doesn’t bother me, but that won’t change it. Sorry you think it’s childish. I grew up in the 90s so I looked at baseball as some sort of holy thing. It was innocent. Everyone played baseball, everyone followed baseball, me and my friends knew all the records and traded cards over lunch. Rickey Henderson, Tony Gwynn, Wade Boggs, Kirby Puckett, and, of course, Frank Thomas were household names to us. I could have recited certain of their stat lines like the back of my hand.

Then 1998 came around. Maris’ record, something that was absolutely meaningful and untouchable to us as kids, was gone, the victim of a couple of drug pounding lunatics. Couple years later that new “record” was smashed by another guy in cartoonish fashion. 61+ has now been done multiple times, all meaningless. 500 homeruns was special and when I was a kid we could name all those guys- now, that list has names on it like Gary freaking Sheffield.

That was when baseball grew up for me. I still enjoy the game. I love the Sox. I even understand that steroids helped baseball draw in more fans and survive as a business. But I hated how it denigrated the game and, because it did, denigrating the game doesn’t have the same impact it would have had on me in 1997. Maybe that makes me a sentimental old fart, and maybe you think the logic sucks, but no, I am not going to be all that worked up about what the Astros did. It just doesn’t raise my hackles at all, really.

Drugs and marriage are totally different and not comparable to this at all. If you cheat on your spouse, you’re ruining lives. Same with drugs. Apples to oranges.

I pointed this out to you when you originally said it.

So I could be a dick and say, "maybe you should have paid attention better when I originally said it and not make an ass of yourself with all the snarky comments." But I'm more reasonable than that.

Are you?

Really? You don't think it's ruining lives? You don't think some guys getting cheated out of many of their biggest dreams could have an effect on people to a tragic extent? And possibly affect their pay in future contracts? I don't think you've thought this through. And whether you care if I "like it" or not, it's poor logic. This is legitimately how children think, not adults. The fact you *assume* it happens all the time is logic flaw #1, and then you have the perception that since you *think* that is true, it's ok for others to do it, no big deal. Wrong on both accounts.

Edited by RagahRagah

15 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

You missed plenty at the time. You're still ignoring virtually all of my points NOW so asking me what you missed in retrospect is frankly obtuse.

You think I am babbling because you lack comprehension. You keep deflecting everything I say and keep responding with childish remarks. Over and over. I'm glad you are amused but I am not. I have already proved you wrong numerous times just by your unwillingness to even address most of what I say. Yet you keep responding to me. One of these days maybe you will post a response that actually is relevant and doesn't dodge everything.

Whatever you want to call it. A few posters tend to resort to ad hominem and childish remarks and there's only one reason for it: lack of ability to actually argue a point. Period.

I gave you a serious response that addresses what I believe to be most of your points, but this is why I give you so many jackass retorts. There is no reason to take this so seriously. There is no reason to not be amused by this. We will never meet. If I die in my sleep, you will never know. And vice versa. This isn’t life or death. I want to have the conversation, but ultimately, it’s meaningless. It doesn’t impact our actual lives at all. So...chill, man.

Just now, Dallas Kong said:

I gave you a serious response that addresses what I believe to be most of your points, but this is why I give you so many jackass retorts. There is no reason to take this so seriously. There is no reason to not be amused by this. We will never meet. If I die in my sleep, you will never know. And vice versa. This isn’t life or death. I want to have the conversation, but ultimately, it’s meaningless. It doesn’t impact our actual lives at all. So...chill, man.

There's a time and place for humor. Humor is general is good. Humor used to deflect the argument or attack the person challenging you to get out of having to take it seriously is not. There is a big difference. And you ignored so many of my points for so long while doing this that it pretty much outs you as someone who can't handle it.

3 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

I pointed this out to you when you originally said it.

So I could be a dick and say, "maybe you should have paid attention better when I originally said it and not make an ass of yourself with all the snarky comments." But I'm more reasonable than that.

Are you?

Really? You don't think it's ruining lives? You don't think some guys getting cheated out of many of their biggest dreams could have an effect on people to a tragic extent? And possibly affect their pay in future contracts? I don't think you've thought this through. And whether you care if I "like it" or not, it's poor logic. This is legitimately how children think, not adults. The fact you *assume* it happens all the time is logic flaw #1, and then you have the perception that since you *think* that is true, it's ok for others to do it, no big deal. Wrong on both accounts.

Honestly, dude, you tooting your own horn about how reasonable you are in every single post is just annoying. Try to take it down a notch.

No, I don’t think a scheme that a few Astros hitters used in their own stadium for a year or so forced anyone out of baseball who would have had a long and prosperous career had the Astros not concocted said scheme. I think that’s totally ridiculous. It’s hard to quantify one way or the other, but I’ll try to put some actual data together tomorrow. But for now, no, I don’t believe it at all.

8 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

There's a time and place for humor. Humor is general is good. Humor used to deflect the argument or attack the person challenging you to get out of having to take it seriously is not. There is a big difference. And you ignored so many of my points for so long while doing this that it pretty much outs you as someone who can't handle it.

You know, my brother gets equally as hurt and upset by trivial things as you do. You don’t live in the DC metro area by chance, do you?

I’m going to bed. Please don’t get too despondent if I don’t immediately address your grievances.

1 hour ago, Dallas Kong said:

Honestly, dude, you tooting your own horn about how reasonable you are in every single post is just annoying. Try to take it down a notch.

No, I don’t think a scheme that a few Astros hitters used in their own stadium for a year or so forced anyone out of baseball who would have had a long and prosperous career had the Astros not concocted said scheme. I think that’s totally ridiculous. It’s hard to quantify one way or the other, but I’ll try to put some actual data together tomorrow. But for now, no, I don’t believe it at all.

What you call ridiculous is easily reality. It also puts asterisks next to people's names on the team who might have hated what was happening but justifiably felt scared to say anything. You're grossly underestimating the effects these things have on people.

• Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic