Tony La Russa named Manager

YourWhatHurts

12 minutes ago, Chi Town Sox said:

I'm not saying this is OK, I love Tim, his game and what he does for the community but for added context, this came out after Tim posted pictures of him standing in front of a "F**k 12" tag so not entirely surprising to see a negative reaction on a police blog to that.    Personally, I don't agree with the Police Blog comments or with Tim posting a public picture like that.  

Did he mean 12" softball maybe?

• Haha 1

Lol, OMG I thought the rumors were just that, rumors...don't know what to think. I've always liked LaRussa and thought it was a terrible move getting rid of him but he's 77 years old, hasn't managed in almost a decade, haha...we're back to the 80s!!!😅

51 minutes ago, Superstar Lamar said:

Let's also not forget that Jimmy denigrated all Sox wives/girlfriends on the air, saying something like that they were gold diggers and specifically calling them "horny broads", so there were some other for cause issued with Jimmy.

It would be embarrassing if TLR didn't stick up for his players on that one.   Calling all the Sox players' wives "horny broads that wanted to get married, and they wanted a little money, a little security, and they wanted a big, strong ballplayer" showed how pathetic Piersall could be.  He also enjoyed trash talking Bill Veeck's wife.  IIRC, Piersall whined about the fact that TLR confronted him, since Piersall had a bad heart.  Tough guy attacking women on TV, then can't take the confrontation he caused.

3 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Bochy would of been a better choice.  At least he has a shot of being viable through the entire run.  But JR got his way.  And in reality, was it their wishlist or the owners.  This is such an odd thing.  This is twice where the Whitesox had to convince someone to apply for the job.  Who else does this. 

Edited by southsideirish71

Just now, southsideirish71 said:

Bochy would of been a better choice.  At least he has a shot of being viable through the entire run.  But JR got his way.  

Lot better choice.  I swear every time something crappy happens within the organization(Machado situation) it somehow keeps getting worse days later with new info that comes out.

6 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

Lot better choice.  I swear every time something crappy happens within the organization(Machado situation) it somehow keeps getting worse days later with new info that comes out.

Yeah losing machado wasn't the hurt.  It was the fact that they didn't understand that guaranteed money > would be team owned options at the end of the career.   They really thought their offer was better.  Thats the problem.  Its not they make the wrong decisions, its the reasoning behind it which tells us that nothing will change. 

Edited by southsideirish71
  • Like 1

Just now, maloney.adam said:

JR is really interfering with the progress of this team. The only way this is going to change is when he sells the team. Nothing is going to change until than. We just have to accept that. 

He isnt selling the team.  Just be happy that he isnt immortal.  

• Thanks 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Just to stress this - LaRussa's answer on kneeling was the answer you give to satisfy white people who don't want to have to think about it but who saw the video this spring and realized it was really bad. It wasn't the answer of anyone who has put genuine thought into the subject, and we have people on the roster who are smart enough to recognize the difference.

49 minutes ago, oneofthemikes said:

I won't speak for everyone because it isn't my place to do so, but my concerns with this hire don't have anything to do with TLR's ability to manage a bullpen or fill out a lineup card. He is the antithesis of everything that this team has become over the past few seasons.

Tim Anderson has been an outspoken advocate for racial equality and sits on the board of the Players Alliance. Six players knelt on Opening Day and as recently as February of this year, TLR doubled down on comments that he made in 2016 about being opposed to that. I know that TLR said all the right things yesterday at the press conference but I’m going to need more convincing before I believe that he’s completely changed his opinion on something like that in such a short time. In August when Tatis hit the grand slam in a 3-0 count TLR was vocal about his distaste for it.

“It’s just not sportsmanlike,” La Russa said. “The way it was described to me was, it’s team against team. That’s what our sport is, with these very talented individuals matching up. What it isn’t, though, is an exhibition of your talents. You swing 3-0 in that game, and you’re up by seven, you’re trying to drive in more runs.”

That’s pretty jarring to hear from the new manager of a team that is having a Tim Anderson bat flip bobblehead giveaway in 2021. The slogan for last year's team was "Change the Game" because they wanted to make baseball less about the unwritten rules and more about having fun and that's not the guy that got the job.

You guys nailed it. This hurts, because for once I thought the Sox were headed in a direction to be a destination and that would've opened them up for a long window. TA has a chance to be the face of baseball for a younger generation and draw in fans that otherwise may not follow. I felt the Sox were so close to being embraced nationally instead of making headlines for ridiculous Hawk or Ozzie tantrums. It really felt like they were ushering in something new here, and this feels like as big a step backwards as I could've imagined.

LaRussa will likely be successful enough in the short term, but there will be long term ramifications. And I don't believe he was sincere in any way, and the players silence is everything.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I just keep coming back to "how?". How could we have possibly ended up here? We have an awesome, fun, young, cost-controlled team in a phenomenal city. This job was the most attractive in the league, they had their pick of the litter. Even if they didn't want to be tied to the scandal by Hinch or Cora they could have walked away with any one of Bochy, Quatraro, Espada. They were in an un-fuckup-able situation and then Jerry grabbed the reigns and said "watch this!". 

And again, I'm not saying any of this from an in-game managerial perspective. He's just a horrible fit with this team. Jerry hired his long-retired buddy to make amends for something that happened when I was in diapers.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

So they didn't even give a formal interview to their second choice? Wuhhhtt?

If this is so, it is not surprising. It is part of the organization's style. Make up their mind on one person and only give small consideration to anyone else if any. They did it with Ozzie, Ventura, Renteria and way back in late 1985 when they hired Hawk as GM. It is a strange way for a multi-million dollar organization to make decisions, but they've been doing it for decades. As you can see, they have very mixed results. I just wished they would have taken a different approach this time. The team has come too far just to do something on a whim.

With Ozzie, LaRussa in '86, Ventura, and Hawk, when there was a parting of the ways, it was awkward. What will it be like with LaRussa the second time?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

The Sox should still make the playoffs with Tony at the helm. There is a minuscule chance of a mutiny like when Bobby V took over in Boston.

Besides not being a fan of his managing 34 years ago, my problem with it is the Sox had an opportunity  of a lifetime. How many teams in their situation have a managerial opening?  They probably had their choice of anyone available. They didn’t even interview everyone available. Why not hire a guy who you can see managing this team through their window? LaRussa is here 2 years tops. You could sense the disappointment in RH yesterday. He tried to be a good soldier and sell the company line, but his heart wasn’t in it.

Just about sums up my thoughts on this exactly.

• Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic