Tony La Russa named Manager

YourWhatHurts

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

Love bochy, would have been happy there.

That would have been celebrated across baseball and the fanbase. It's so infuriatingly stupid that Jerry is trying to atone for Hawk's sins of decades past that he wouldn't even do a full managerial search.

• Like 2

Just now, NCsoxfan said:

After a good night sleep, I woke up thinking this hire is even more garbage than I initially thought.

Same. the ONLY part of this that may be acceptable is if JR says open up my checkbook mothafuckas. But when has he ever really said that? My biggest worry is that we have basically told FAs go to hell and we have a manager now that will take the current roster we have "and get the most out of them". 

2 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Same. the ONLY part of this that may be acceptable is if JR says open up my checkbook mothafuckas. But when has he ever really said that? My biggest worry is that we have basically told FAs go to hell and we have a manager now that will take the current roster we have "and get the most out of them". 

Absolutely only good thing that can come out of this hire is Jerry opening up payroll

3 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Well it depends.  Does he mean open up the checkbook.  Or does he mean, my deferred dollars are better than the slightly lower guaranteed dollars of the other teams. 

OK, so I took overnight to cool down from the RAGING FIRE of 10,000 Suns' worth of hatred of this move. And, I still fvkcing hate this shit.

First of all, this is "SO White Sox." Instead of having a competitive process, they [meaning JR] decided who HE wanted as manager, and they just "named him," without so much as a comparative process. Had they interviewed:

1. TLR and Bochy ["Elder Statesmen" group], AND

2. Hinch and Cora ["Cheating Cheaters" group], AND

3. Alomar and Quatraro (sp?) ["Up-And-Comers" group], and then decided that TLR was the "best choice," then I would somewhat be at peace with it.

But, by all we now know, neither Hinch, nor Cora, nor Bochy, nor anyone else was interviewed. This is the SAME moronic process that gave us Ventura and Renteria as managers. There hasn't been a competitive, comparative process since Guillen vs. Gaston, now 17 fvkcing years ago. They've learned NOTHING, and this hire will likely result in failure.

Secondly, I hate what hiring a geezing geezer will do to the team and it's processes. A 76 year old man shouldn't buy green bananas, let alone think LOGICALLY about this organization's future 3 or 4 or 5 years hence. In other words, he'll think about the NOW, and ONLY the NOW, not about an entire window of competition, much like many boomers think about climate change today.

At the same time, him being BFF with JR means that the organizational structure will be as convoluted as a polygamist-mormon's family tree. Basically, TLR already has the ear of JR, whereas his [nominal] boss has to ask KW to ask JR. So, if TLR gets the moronic idea to trade Kopech for Matt Carpenter, straight up, Michael Kopech will be helping St Louis for a decade. This will fvkc up this window's duration.

Lastly, YES, I think a blind, drunk monkey could be better at the tactical and strategic parts of the game than RR. I think a lifelong drunken 76 year old will be better than RR as well. But I don't know if he will be the BEST possible option, and we will never know that, because those @ssholes didn't bother to interview anyone else. At the same time, we know that TLR's teams feuded with each other, and he is out of touch as well. If it hasn't been started yet, there should be a poll for who will TLR feud with, and who will he try to run out of town. Because it is inevitable, based on 30+ years of his work history.

On balance, this is "SO White Sox," in that they self-sabotaged themselves. Again. Sure, they'll "be better next season" than they were last season. But, in true White Sox fashion, they failed to make THE BEST choice based on all of the available information. And, the organization will suffer as a result.

I won't stop following my lifelong favorite team. But I know I probably won't get a ticket package for 2021.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, runtheballdown said:

Yea I’m really surprised yuan, Eloy and Robert have not been tweeting up a storm. Those guys are twitter magnets with their thousands of tweets and millions of followers.

lol

What?  Have you seen their social’s? Tim, Giolito, Keuchel, Moncada are all pretty active and do have thousands of followers. 

30 minutes ago, Quin said:

On one hand, the worst choice.

On the other hand, the best choice.

Is there’s reason the White Sox didn’t reach out to Bochy? Was there anyone else interviewed, the Score said there may have been one other candidate.

Even people happy with the hire should ask why didn’t the Sox perform due diligence and use the interview process to learn the approach of other successful franchises and managers.

Theo, who won two WS titles stated he learned a lot during the process, especially from Joe Espada who nearly unexpectedly won the job over favorite David Ross.  

2012: Sox managerial search consists of White Sox begging Robin Ventura to take the job. Robin hesitates but ultimately signs.

2016: For some unexplained reason the White Sox once again beg Robin Ventura to stay after a dismal and embarrassing  four year stretch. Robin says no and within 24 hours, the Sox sign Rick Renteria, the extent of their managerial search.

2019: After the season, the White Sox like what Rick Renteria has done, the team has developed well under Rick’s guidance, and he is given a contract extension through 2021.

2020: White Sox improve further and qualify for the playoffs for the first time since 2008. Development and growth of several players continues under Rick Renteria. Lack of pitching depth and failed acquisitions at DH and RF prevent the White Sox to advance further. There were questionable bullpen moves during a few games, but for the most part the bullpen over performed during the short season, and likely would have imploded due to lack of depth under an 162 game season. The FO acquired nothing of consequence at the trade deadline, and literally did not have confidence in more than two starting pitchers heading into the playoffs.

October 12: Rick Renteria is fired, Hahn announces there will be a broad EXTERNAL SEARCH conducted with an EMPHASIS on interviewing managers with RECENT championship experience.

That same day rumors are reported Tony LaRussa is a candidate for the job despite the fact he hasn’t managed in a decade.

October 29, 2020: In a day that will live in infamy, the White Sox send an announcement with A. J. Hinch’s signature, a candidate they did not even interview, and Tony LaRussa’s picture, announcing Tony LaRussa will manage the White Sox in 2021.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Is there’s reason the White Sox didn’t reach out to Bochy? Was there anyone else interviewed, the Score said there may have been one other candidate.

Even people happy with the hire should ask why didn’t the Sox perform due diligence and use the interview process to learn the approach of other successful franchises and managers.

Theo, who won two WS titles stated he learned a lot during the process, especially from Joe Espada who nearly unexpectedly won the job over favorite David Ross.  

2012: Sox managerial search consists of White Sox begging Robin Ventura to take the job. Robin hesitates but ultimately signs.

2016: For some unexplained reason the White Sox once again beg Robin Ventura to stay after a dismal and embarrassing  four year stretch. Robin says no and within 24 hours, the Sox sign Rick Renteria, the extent of their managerial search.

2019: After the season, the White Sox like what Rick Renteria has done, the team has developed well under Rick’s guidance, and he is given a contract extension through 2021.

2020: White Sox improve further and qualify for the playoffs for the first time since 2008. Development and growth of several players continues under Rick Renteria. Lack of pitching depth and failed acquisitions at DH and RF prevent the White Sox to advance further. There were questionable bullpen moves during a few games, but for the most part the bullpen over performed during the short season, and likely would have imploded due to lack of depth under an 162 game season. The FO acquired nothing of consequence at the trade deadline, and literally did not have confidence in more than two starting pitchers heading into the playoffs.

October 12: Rick Renteria is fired, Hahn announces there will be a broad EXTERNAL SEARCH conducted with an EMPHASIS on interviewing managers with RECENT championship experience.

That same day rumors are reported Tony LaRussa is a candidate for the job despite the fact he hasn’t managed in a decade.

October 29, 2020: In a day that will live in infamy, the White Sox send an announcement with A. J. Hinch’s signature, a candidate they did not even interview, and Tony LaRussa’s picture, announcing Tony LaRussa will manage the White Sox in 2021.

They interviewed Willie Harris. It wasn’t quite a Rooney rule deal, but basically was - he had no shot at the job and they weren’t interested in what he had to say, but they had to interview someone nonwhite or it would be even more obvious.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

As you and I have detailed, this is EXACTLY what those dumb motherfvkcers do. They don't bother with a search, and they don't understand the value of it.

I can't wait until the day comes that neither JR, nor KW, nor RH are involved in running this team into the ground. I eagerly await the day that modern, competent front office management comes to the South Side.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Tony said:

If you support the hiring of Tony La Russa, that's totally fine. You have every right to do that, and La Russa may end being just what the Sox need. If they win a World Series, everyone will be happy, and the move will have worked out. 

But for those "supporters" who think that fans upset with the move are simply angry over his age are incredibly misinformed. There is plenty wrong with this hire. 

1. It's become incredibly clear that Rick Hahn, Kenny Williams and Jerry Reinsdorf were not on the same page with this hire. It can't be argued at this point. Not everyone needs to agree on everything, but everyone can acknowledge this was an important hire and it would have been nice for leadership to be totally on board with the candidate. That didn't happen here. 

2. Generally speaking, when someone is selected to build a roster and staff (in this case Rick Hahn), I expect him to be able to do that job without interference. Once again, that didn't happen here. We now know objectively who hired Tony, who apparently wasn't even a thought in Rick's mind when they fired Renteria three weeks ago. That's another issue

3. The Sox didn't seem to do any sort of due diligence in the hiring process. We know Hinch wasn't interviewed. We can safely assume Cora wasn't either. We have the report from Bob on Nightengale, but we don't know if there was an interview. Willie......Harris.......was apparently interviewed for the job. As noted earlier, the last three managers the Sox have had are Robin Ventura, Rick Renteria and now Tony La Russa. 2 out of the 3 had to be convinced to take the job. Not a quality I want in my manager, especially with the 2021 White Sox roster....people should be beating down the door at GRate for the job. We had to convince our manager to take the job. 

I don't know if Tony is the right guy for the job. Given how long he has been out of the dugout, my guess is he isn't the right man, and there were better candidates to choose from. But it still may all work out. That's not the issue. The issue is the process. It simply was not handled the right way, on multiple fronts.....and I, along with many others, take issue with that. 

Yep, it makes this whole thing feel very dirty. It’s Jerry’s team and he has every right to do it. It’s still a really shitty thing to do to your employee.

I also think theres just a subset of Sox fans who just hate Rick Hahn and love that Jerry dumped on him.

Edited by Sockin

And obviously this can change but the players and others in the organization aren't happy about this either at the moment, this isn't just a fans thing.  From Fegan's article: "But Sox players who spoke to The Athletic ranged from cautiously open-minded, to dismissive and derisive in their reaction to the hiring."   Nobody is happy about this.

10 hours ago, Vulture said:

So in your little hypothetical scenario here, you're going to tell someone what to do, seek compliance via threat,, blame them for your own actions when they don't comply, and then turn around and claim it's not political. That's the definition of politics in a nutshell there homey.

I said nothing of the kind. I like to stand and sing the national anthem. Most Americans do also. It is tradition and has been considered a wonderful way to bring people together. I guess some people want to stop this from happening and make up lies about the people who enjoy the anthem. It is people like you that just cannot stop b****ing and moaning about other people being happy and proud of their country and its accomplishments. 

• Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic