Tony La Russa named Manager

YourWhatHurts

27 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

No. He said that he WAS interested, but hadn't heard from the White Sox.

20 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I believe we saw posts yesterday saying the opposite, that he was specifically interested if asked.

Thanks @Two-Gun Pete and Balta... guess I remember some early info that wasn’t correct.

Darn.

I liked LaRussa’s interview responses and hope this means Jerry opens the bank... with some good secondary coach signings.

Otherwise I’m going to be pretty desolate from hope.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

No but getting your new manager with the face of your franchise on the same page goes a long way.  I wouldn’t blame Timmy for being pissed if he found out about this at the same time we did.  The silence from the players supports my opinion.

And Tim is not the type of person to shut his mouth and fall in line if there’s an issue. 

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

No but getting your new manager with the face of your franchise on the same page goes a long way.  I wouldn’t blame Timmy for being pissed if he found out about this at the same time we did.  The silence from the players supports my opinion.

This.  You want a group that is on the same page at this stage.  This just has all kinds of potential to go sideways.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Thanks @Two-Gun Pete and Balta... guess I remember some early info that wasn’t correct.

Darn.

I liked LaRussa’s interview responses and hope this means Jerry opens the bank... with some good secondary coach signings.

Otherwise I’m going to be pretty desolate from hope.

It was a fair thought on your part, because Bochy has had some health challenges WRT cardiac conditions. And while these sorts of conditions are easily manageable, it wasn't "a nothingburger," in terms of Bochy's potential candidacy.

The fvkcing problem is that there weren't any fvkcing candidates for this job, apart for TLR. Just like with Ventura or Renteria.

With respect to the secondary coach hirings, they'll do fvkc-all to prevent TLR from making demands of JR that can fvkc this competitive window. Like stupid trades that are "win now" moves, but squander finite MiLB resources. I'm still in the "rage" portion of accepting White Sox stupidity, so it'll take me awhile to get to the "desolate from hope" stage.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Reminds me so much of the 2016 LaRoche debacle

So this brings me to the next question.  Ventura was convinced to become to new Manager before.  Who wanted that.  Was that Kenny or did JR have a soft spot for a former player.  I am wondering what level of power does Hahn really have.  

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

This.  You want a group that is on the same page at this stage.  This just has all kinds of potential to go sideways.

Yep I think the fan base would have been a lot more at peace with things if the players seemed at the very least ok with it.  I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a coaching move that’s been met with less excitement.

1 minute ago, The Hawk said:

True. With this damned China virus, who knows what is going to happen. Personally, I thought that over-all major league baseball did a good over-all job in just keeping baseball alive during 2020 but it really had to have suffered financially. Hopefully a vaccine or two will be out this winter and the risk will be eliminated of greatly reduced.

Oh for sh*t's sake do you really need to be that person too? It has several official names. Use them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I worked at a mid sized company.  The owner on his own decided to hire his one and only son and make him a VP. The son was 45.  We were told he was brilliant and was an amazing hire.  6 months later the person who was in charge of that group got into a disagreement with the son and that person who was a C level exec was walked out that day.  The following week it was announced that the son had taken over as the new C level exec for that group.   No one screamed, no one fought it.  Everyone just quietly went about their lives.  Everyone hated the move.  Within 6 months 80% of that group had left the company.  These nepotism hires no matter who it is or what level never work out the way you think.  Why have GMs if the owner is going to meddle in the business of their job responsibilities.   What world class company has the CEO dropping down to make managerial decisions or even VP decisions on who they hire.  Companies that do that are like the one I used to work at.  They eventually fail.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, The Hawk said:

Of course it is a show. A SHOW of PATRIOTISM enjoyed by millions of Americans for decades.

Respect for institutioms is important.  Like when Tony, Pujols and Theriot chose not to come to the White House with the rest of the team when they were honored after the Cards won it all.

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Absolutely only good thing that can come out of this hire is Jerry opening up payroll

That's true. I think that he will. Whatever else LaRussa is, he, in Jerry's mind is a WIN NOW move. And the WIN NOW needs a couple of stud pitchers.

44 minutes ago, Tony said:

If you support the hiring of Tony La Russa, that's totally fine. You have every right to do that, and La Russa may end being just what the Sox need. If they win a World Series, everyone will be happy, and the move will have worked out. 

But for those "supporters" who think that fans upset with the move are simply angry over his age are incredibly misinformed. There is plenty wrong with this hire. 

1. It's become incredibly clear that Rick Hahn, Kenny Williams and Jerry Reinsdorf were not on the same page with this hire. It can't be argued at this point. Not everyone needs to agree on everything, but everyone can acknowledge this was an important hire and it would have been nice for leadership to be totally on board with the candidate. That didn't happen here. 

2. Generally speaking, when someone is selected to build a roster and staff (in this case Rick Hahn), I expect him to be able to do that job without interference. Once again, that didn't happen here. We now know objectively who hired Tony, who apparently wasn't even a thought in Rick's mind when they fired Renteria three weeks ago. That's another issue

3. The Sox didn't seem to do any sort of due diligence in the hiring process. We know Hinch wasn't interviewed. We can safely assume Cora wasn't either. We have the report from Bob on Bochy, but we don't know if there was an interview. Willie......Harris.......was apparently interviewed for the job. As noted earlier, the last three managers the Sox have had are Robin Ventura, Rick Renteria and now Tony La Russa. 2 out of the 3 had to be convinced to take the job. Not a quality I want in my manager, especially with the 2021 White Sox roster....people should be beating down the door at GRate for the job. We had to convince our manager to take the job. 

I don't know if Tony is the right guy for the job. Given how long he has been out of the dugout, my guess is he isn't the right man, and there were better candidates to choose from. But it still may all work out. That's not the issue. The issue is the process. It simply was not handled the right way, on multiple fronts.....and I, along with many others, take issue with that. 

This is spot on Tony. Spot on. My issue had been everyone jumping on TLR - but the big issue to me is the fundamental process that the org went through. I also find it shocking that TLR hasn't been working the phones since he officially got the role.  I'd think he'd be reaching out to the various guys and handle that and I'd think the same around getting that staff built out and at least Tony can give players context on what he thinks the staff will look like and who some of the faces will be.  

3 minutes ago, The Hawk said:

True. With this damned China virus, who knows what is going to happen. Personally, I thought that over-all major league baseball did a good over-all job in just keeping baseball alive during 2020 but it really had to have suffered financially. Hopefully a vaccine or two will be out this winter and the risk will be eliminated of greatly reduced.

Really?

4 minutes ago, The Hawk said:

Seriously, go away.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Love 2

4 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

This is spot on Tony. Spot on. My issue had been everyone jumping on TLR - but the big issue to me is the fundamental process that the org went through. I also find it shocking that TLR hasn't been working the phones since he officially got the role.  I'd think he'd be reaching out to the various guys and handle that and I'd think the same around getting that staff built out and at least Tony can give players context on what he thinks the staff will look like and who some of the faces will be.  

I keep saying this - he doesn't need to, in his mind at least. He is Tony LaRussa. He's in charge of everyone, and the organization made sure everyone knows that.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic