Tony La Russa named Manager

YourWhatHurts

8 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

It’d be sweet if all the players banded together and push back against the hiring, something unprecedented. I think the players have more power than most think.

That would not be sweet and thankfully there is zero chance of it happening.

5 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

What?!?

Man we're really stretching terminology to mean something it does not. No biggie.

I'm gonna add this to my resume. Doesnt even need a computer, my brain does computational analysis on its own. 

Perhaps yours doesn't. Obviously there's a high level of variation in aptitude.

1 hour ago, southsideirish71 said:

No but typically the owners dont get involved in hiring managers by calling up retired friends and say he bud lets go.  Maybe we can have the entire Dallas Cowboys style here and just have JR become Owner/GM because obviously that makes sense.

I think it went down the way Hahn said it did. I don't think Reinsdorf issued an ultimatum, or picked Tony. I think he suggested him, and once he was interviewed, Hahn, Jerry, and Kenny all agreed to go with Tony.  Hahn may have been lying at the press conference to cover his true feelings, but I don't think so. 

On 10/28/2020 at 11:09 PM, fathom said:

Players, like usual, and possibly more this offseason, will go to the team that offers the most money.  Unless Tony says something dumb at the introduction conf call, players will have no issues signing to play for him.

Sadly the Sox have been offering the most money to guys and they still choose someone else to play for :)

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, VAfan said:

I think it went down the way Hahn said it did. I don't think Reinsdorf issued an ultimatum, or picked Tony. I think he suggested him, and once he was interviewed, Hahn, Jerry, and Kenny all agreed to go with Tony.  Hahn may have been lying at the press conference to cover his true feelings, but I don't think so. 

Hahn certainly came across as genuine in my eyes... but I saw between the lines that he wasn’t completely on board.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VAfan said:

Oh cmon now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

No one was pressuring them to fire McGwire when he admitted it publicly. There might have been pressure to not hire him, but once that river was crossed, the admission didn't matter at all.

https://www.heraldnet.com/sports/cardinals-had-exit-strategy-for-mcgwire/

So yeah, they did. I was wrong about the executives bit, but this was what I remembered. I'm not saying this is awesome by Larussa, but he brought in a former player to a competitive team knowing it could be a media storm and distraction and did it because he thought it would help him. HE took the heat and asked him to trust him. 

So yeah, he defends his players and former players even when he benefitted from them but it isn't helpful t him at the time. Hence it being an example of his relationships with players. OTOH, he hated scott rolen.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

They were told 4 weeks+ ago that Hinch was a possibility/likely. We know that from Keuchels' twitter.

So we "know" that from Keuchel saying something along the lines of "Big things ahead for the Chicago White Sox"?  

1 minute ago, hi8is said:

Hahn certainly came across as genuine in my eyes... but I saw between the lines that he wasn’t completely on board.

That may be true, because there is uncertainty in the hire, just as there would be in any hire. Obviously, Hahn didn't go in expecting to hire Tony. But I think he came around to that view during the process. 

Ultimately you can't make the case that they missed someone obvious because of the black marks against Hinch and Cora. Neither of those guys are slam dunks. And anyone else would have questions as well.

So why not go with arguably the most accomplished manager of the last 50 years? Who has a history with the team and would be motivated to win a title with the only team he failed to do so?

Dusty Baker proved again this year he is very good at what he does. But he still doesn't have the one ring, much less 3.

7 minutes ago, VAfan said:

I don't believe this for a second. Three weeks ago Hahn was eloquent and self-assured and laid out a very specific vision for his managerial search and I believe that he was sincere in how he wanted that search to take place. Hahn even said yesterday that Jerry reached out to TLR and based on how quickly Nightengale had the TLR story after the end of season presser it kinda seems like Jerry called TLR while Hahn was doing that presser.

The Hahn we saw yesterday was skittish and stammered through all of his answers. That wasn't a GM that was on board with the hiring that took place. Not to mention there were several reports that TLR wasn't a popular decision in the FO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, VAfan said:

That may be true, because there is uncertainty in the hire, just as there would be in any hire. Obviously, Hahn didn't go in expecting to hire Tony. But I think he came around to that view during the process. 

Ultimately you can't make the case that they missed someone obvious because of the black marks against Hinch and Cora. Neither of those guys are slam dunks. And anyone else would have questions as well.

So why not go with arguably the most accomplished manager of the last 50 years? Who has a history with the team and would be motivated to win a title with the only team he failed to do so?

Dusty Baker proved again this year he is very good at what he does. But he still doesn't have the one ring, much less 3.

So why not conduct professional and complete interviews with several people, including the one who was hired, and actually let your GM make the decision based on the content of those interviews? 

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

So we "know" that from Keuchel saying something along the lines of "Big things ahead for the Chicago White Sox"?  

It's reasonable to deduce that Keuchel, who hadn't tweeted in months, excitedly tweeting that big things are ahead for the Sox within a couple of hours of Ricky's firing was under the impression that Hinch was coming.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, VAfan said:

When your boss's boss "recommends" something,  most people seem to "come around".

3 minutes ago, oneofthemikes said:

I don't believe this for a second. Three weeks ago Hahn was eloquent and self-assured and laid out a very specific vision for his managerial search and I believe that he was sincere in how he wanted that search to take place. Hahn even said yesterday that Jerry reached out to TLR and based on how quickly Nightengale had the TLR story after the end of season presser it kinda seems like Jerry called TLR while Hahn was doing that presser.

The Hahn we saw yesterday was skittish and stammered through all of his answers. That wasn't a GM that was on board with the hiring that took place. Not to mention there were several reports that TLR wasn't a popular decision in the FO.

Exactly. He looked shook. Though it's possible he opened Twitter and saw the sheet show just before the Presser started, and that's why he seemed so anxious/defensive.

47 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:Many of these guys were in HS or jr high when he last managed.

Correct. In fact, the White Sox have no players under contract who were on a Major League roster in 2011, the last time Tony LaRussa managed (unless team options on Edwin or Gio are exercised). Baseball has changed a lot over the past decade, both on the field and in the clubhouse.

“It’s been a long time since I rock and rolled.”

- Robert Plant, who is 4 years younger than Tony LaRussa

• Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic