Tony La Russa named Manager

YourWhatHurts

20 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Obviously Hinch was a candidate.  I highly doubt anyone that mattered told DK the day RR was fired that Hinch was their guy - he was just expressing excitement for the future.  Like 95% of all sox fans the day RR was fired.  

I don’t know. If anything DK was one guy to use to go around speaking  to him too soon. And maybe he talked him up among his teammates.  They probably asked him to gauge his interest, and probably found it to be pretty high. Steve Stone was in contact with him as well, and if you read his early tweets, he also thought Hinch was the hire.

RH admitted to be being  thrown for a loop when JR called LaRussa and LaRussa was interested, thus ending anyone else’s candidacy.

• Like 1

Maybe I just have outrage exhaustion.  People on this board hated Renteria (I wasn't a big fan).  Then there was talk of Hinch and there were a flood of posts about not hiring the cheater (he was intriguing but only won with a super team that we found out were cheating).  Then the White Sox hire a manager with 4 manager of the year awards, 6 pennants, 3 world series (out of three) and has averaged 87 wins over 33 years...winningest manager in history and successful at three different organizations and we are apoplectic over it??  OK he does look really old in the pictures...but we aren't asking him to dig ditches.  We are asking him to control a clubhouse, make key game time decisions and work with an organization of players and coaches.   Sure seems like he would be pretty good at that.  Yes there are a bunch of young guys he has to manage...but a grandfather figure that is alternately stern and kind is probably something most of these players can get along with.   Hahn's not giving up GM duties to him...the teams movement towards analytics isn't going out the window...everyone wants to put their personal hatred of some element of the White Sox (this is a weird board) and assume that TLR will magnify that perceived stupidity.  I don't know...I don't think managers make that much of a difference but if one were to use a case study to say that they do...they would probably use TLR as exhibit A.    

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

Maybe I just have outrage exhaustion.  People on this board hated Renteria (I wasn't a big fan).  Then there was talk of Hinch and there were a flood of posts about not hiring the cheater (he was intriguing but only won with a super team that we found out were cheating).  Then the White Sox hire a manager with 4 manager of the year awards, 6 pennants, 3 world series (out of three) and has averaged 87 wins over 33 years...winningest manager in history and successful at three different organizations and we are apoplectic over it??  OK he does look really old in the pictures...but we aren't asking him to dig ditches.  We are asking him to control a clubhouse, make key game time decisions and work with an organization of players and coaches.   Sure seems like he would be pretty good at that.  Yes there are a bunch of young guys he has to manage...but a grandfather figure that is alternately stern and kind is probably something most of these players can get along with.   Hahn's not giving up GM duties to him...the teams movement towards analytics isn't going out the window...everyone wants to put their personal hatred of some element of the White Sox (this is a weird board) and assume that TLR will magnify that perceived stupidity.  I don't know...I don't think managers make that much of a difference but if one were to use a case study to say that they do...they would probably use TLR as exhibit A.    

Maybe JR should bring back Pippen and Jordan. 

The game is different today. The players are different. TLR is the proverbial square peg into a round hole IMO,and even if he could somehow overcome that,  76 year olds rarely change their ways, there is little chance he could manage the team through their window. 

If he was gassed in 2011, what makes him full of energy at 76 nine years later?

On 10/29/2020 at 1:00 AM, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

"This move is terrible for the team, but since it makes the liberals mad I like it!!"

Do you realize how dumb that is?

Do you realize how dumb (and wrong) it is to let your political leanings impact your feelings on a decision to hire somebody? 

Not a good argument for you.

3 minutes ago, spiderman said:

Do you realize how dumb (and wrong) it is to let your political leanings impact your feelings on a decision to hire somebody? 

It is dumb to want a leader whose personality will mesh with the personalities already on the team?  I guess I am dumb then.

4 minutes ago, spiderman said:

It has nothing to do with your political views. You like it because it makes a group of people mad, despite acknowledging that it is a bad hire. I'm not even a "liberal". Your stance is just asinine. 

Edited by Yearnin' for Yermin

4 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

It has nothing to do with your political views. You like it because it makes a group of people mad, despite acknowledging that it is a bad hire. I'm not even a "liberal". Your stance is just asinine. 

As evidenced by our profile pictures, Ron and I are on opposite sides of this spectrum. We agree on this point.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, spiderman said:

Did anybody even ask Tony in the press conference about his kneeling stance? Is this is a big issue regarding Tony or a message board thing?

Edited by greg775

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Maybe JR should bring back Pippen and Jordan. 

The game is different today. The players are different. TLR is the proverbial square peg into a round hole IMO,and even if he could somehow overcome that,  76 year olds rarely change their ways, there is little chance he could manage the team through their window. 

If he was gassed in 2011, what makes him full of energy at 76 nine years later?

Why do we need him "full of energy"?  He's going to have a full staff and I suspect he's smart enough to know to lean on others at this point in his life. I was looking at his stats as a manager and for the White Sox he stole bases at 118% of league average...with Oakland it was 106% but for St Louis is was 92%.  He adjusted his style to reflect the changes in the game.  As for the players being different...I don't think humanity really changes that much.  I know it's one of the narratives but Dusty Baker had the Astros within a game of the WS and he's roughly the same age and was never the manager that TLS was.   I would personally have rather they take the chance on Jirchele...but he IS too young and there is something to be said for having gone through the process before.  I suspect he will be on TLR's staff and then when TLR is ready to go he steps in.   

29 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

Literally every comment saying “Hinch’s team cheated and LaRussa is a champion” needs “what about the gigantic steroid abuse scandal” asked in reply.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, greg775 said:

That's kind of unfair, isn't it? But thanx for answering my question; I do appreciate that.

How is it that we have reached a point in our society that having a position, one way or the other, on kneeling for the national anthem makes you a monster to half the population?   I would much rather consider how TLR is going to deal with the speed on the White Sox and might we lead the AL in stolen bases next year...or what does he think about batting Jiminez or Moncado or Madrigal second.  

15 minutes ago, Quin said:

As evidenced by our profile pictures, Ron and I are on opposite sides of this spectrum. We agree on this point.

I wouldn't say my profile picture represents my true beliefs~ the forum just needed some yin to it's yang.

Edited by Yearnin' for Yermin
  • Haha 2

• Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic