Tony La Russa named Manager

YourWhatHurts

Just now, ChiSox1917 said:

Took over two small market teams during rebuilds and both teams improved dramatically during his tenure.  

hed kill it here with our talent

Had prime Andrew McCutchen, Starling Marte, young Gerritt Cole, Neil Walker, and others. A loaded farm system.

Couldn't do anything with them.

f9f.png

Of Tony’s 3 titles, his first one was an Oakland team that probably had an historically great roster. He also didn’t win with that roster several times.

His second one was with a team that won 83 games.

His third was a WC team back when being a WC wasn’t as much of a disadvantage in the playoffs it is now.

As someone who saw it, if Soxtalk was around when Hawk waxed him, there would have been joy on this board. He really isn’t as spectacular as he has been portrayed.

Edited by Dick Allen

4 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

How is it that we have reached a point in our society that having a position, one way or the other, on kneeling for the national anthem makes you a monster to half the population?   I would much rather consider how TLR is going to deal with the speed on the White Sox and might we lead the AL in stolen bases next year...or what does he think about batting Jiminez or Moncado or Madrigal second.  

No one made Tony LaRussa speak out on that issue for years, as recently as February. He chose to do so, without even bothering to understand the issue enough to know why people were doing it according to his own explanation of how he has “evolved.” It didn’t hurt him to condemn people asking for justice at the time because he was in a position of privilege where he didn’t have to worry about that. So how did we get to this place? Ask TLDR.

Just now, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

I wouldn't say my profile picture represents my true beliefs~ the forum just needed some yin to it's yang.

Fun thing about this photoshop: I made this back when Obama unveiled his portrait because Cubs fans were trying to claim that the vines in the painting were Wrigley's Ivy. So I used a photo of his beat up Sox hat that he's had since at least '05.

13 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

Why do we need him "full of energy"?  He's going to have a full staff and I suspect he's smart enough to know to lean on others at this point in his life. I was looking at his stats as a manager and for the White Sox he stole bases at 118% of league average...with Oakland it was 106% but for St Louis is was 92%.  He adjusted his style to reflect the changes in the game.  As for the players being different...I don't think humanity really changes that much.  I know it's one of the narratives but Dusty Baker had the Astros within a game of the WS and he's roughly the same age and was never the manager that TLS was.   I would personally have rather they take the chance on Jirchele...but he IS too young and there is something to be said for having gone through the process before.  I suspect he will be on TLR's staff and then when TLR is ready to go he steps in.   

I'd take Dusty in a New York second over TLR.

Age has nothing to do with it.

It's relatability.

It's adaptability.

Edited by GradMc

8 minutes ago, GradMc said:

I'd take Dusty in a New York second over TLR.

Age has nothing to do with it.

It's relatability.

It's adaptability.

For all I know TLDR could have adapted his philosophy, I’m surprised how well Baker did. But he should have had to explain that fully in a well prepared interview setting, and earn the trust of the front office, not just the owner. Baker did.

18 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Literally every comment saying “Hinch’s team cheated and LaRussa is a champion” needs “what about the gigantic steroid abuse scandal” asked in reply.

I've tried asking that to a couple of people and they don't seem to want to reply. 

And let's not forget that Jack McDowell said LaRussa put in  a sign stealing system in Comiskey in the 80's. Along with the many other things mentioned in this thread that aren't related to cheating, but make me think LaRussa can be a generally crappy person. Let's forget all of that, but Hinch shouldn't get a second chance. You can't reconcile those things, if you call out Hinch and not LaRussa you are just carrying JR's water.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Oh for sh*t's sake do you really need to be that person too? It has several official names. Use them.

3 hours ago, DirtySox said:

Really?

3 hours ago, Rowand44 said:

Seriously, go away.

I think all of you should be as ashamed of yourselves as the guy who called it by the name we all understand should not be used.

This always seems to be the case that instead of educating, we voice our disgust and that leads nowhere. If the ignorant need correcting do it. Educate them. By voicing your disgust you are only saying "Look at me I am an enlightened person. "

We all must do our part to make the world a better place and shouting opposition is  better than nothing but not as good as applying rational thought and education or in many instances re-education to the process. Instead of using your own words that might show your disdain use a well written article on the subject such as this one. https://medicine.yale.edu/news-article/23074/

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Just now, hogan873 said:

We’re still complaining about this as if the hiring will be rescinded.  Now that TLR is the manager, what do we expect from this team moving forward?  And not a dugout full of walkers and Ben Gay, please.

Exactly. It's an odd hire for this club, but I've reached the "acceptance" phase in under 24 hours. It's about players going out and performing to their ability. I'm excited to see what moves they can make this offseason and hopefully there will be a real spring training and a minor and major league season in 2021.

2 minutes ago, flavum said:

Exactly. It's an odd hire for this club, but I've reached the "acceptance" phase in under 24 hours. It's about players going out and performing to their ability. I'm excited to see what moves they can make this offseason and hopefully there will be a real spring training and a minor and major league season in 2021.

I was starting to get there until I heard the players are not happy about it. I hope it isn’t but I could see this being a wasted year in our window if the players aren’t on board.

2 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Well he was around during that time so it’s a nice bonus opportunity to shame a man who has accomplished more and helped more people than any of us throughout his life. 

So has Hinch. I’m totally ok with shaming him for it. 

TLDR was the manager who had as much steroid abuse under him as any in baseball. Probably more. At least one of those titles of his.

42 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

How is it that we have reached a point in our society that having a position, one way or the other, on kneeling for the national anthem makes you a monster to half the population?   I would much rather consider how TLR is going to deal with the speed on the White Sox and might we lead the AL in stolen bases next year...or what does he think about batting Jiminez or Moncado or Madrigal second.  

Politics and sports do not mix, period. If they continue to mix, crowds are going to be down down down and TV ratings will continue to plummet. I'm not sure why some consider Tony LaRussa a monster. I'd love to see all the help he's given to less fortunate and support he's given to charity through the years. I don't know for sure, but even though he's mighty crabby (so is Belichick) I bet Tony is a fine man. Anybody who simply dismisses him as a bad man without a full examination of his life, is simply unfair IMO.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, yesterday333 said:

How is nobody talking about Jack McDowells claims about TLR using cameras to steal signs in the 80s. If you were against Hinch you should be against TLR...

Fair question. If he did that, there should be an investigation and if guilty, I'd be for a lifetime ban of Tony. Fair enough.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Well he was around during that time so it’s a nice bonus opportunity to shame a man who has accomplished more and helped more people than any of us throughout his life. 

In what world can someone write this on the internet and feel confident doing so?

1. You don't know Tony La Russa, and as a baseball manager it's safe to say his primary profession wasn't "helping people" - a teacher, for example, has helped far more people than TLR lol
2. You don't know anyone here personally, nor do you know what they do.

Good stuff all around.

Oh, and accomplishments are to the eye of the beholder. Now, do I wish I won 3 World Series as a manager? You bet your ass I do...

Does my mom? No, she couldn't give a shit about being a World Series manager.

Just because you clapped when it happened doesn't mean it's a universally viewed grand accomplishment.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 3

• Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic