Tony La Russa named Manager

YourWhatHurts

16 minutes ago, ChiSox1917 said:

Fact of the matter is that the guys on our team, while young and exciting, haven't accomplished a damn thing at a team level.  TLR has.  Everywhere he's been.  Working with players of different backgrounds.  Managing guys who flat out hated him (Rolen), those that didn't like him but respected him (Henderson), and guys that loved him (McGwire, Pujols)

The issue of the players on the team being uncertain about this hire really speaks to the inexperience most of them have.  They are not winners...yet.  When they tasted success this year, they let up off the gas and wilted.  The last thing this team needs right now is a "player's manager".  They need someone to show them how to play the game hard all the time, to not make mental mistakes, and how to not let up.  They need a manager who demands their best, not asks or hopes for it.  They have a lot to learn from a guy like TLR.  Certainly a hell of a lot more than TLR has to learn from them.  

You are shortchanging our young players and the awesome leading by example that Jose Abreu has demonstrated the past several years.

This business that the team needs this 76 year-old to come in to “show them how to play the game hard all the time” and without him there to “demand their best” it won’t happen, just spits in the eye of the hard work ethic that Abreu exhibits each and every day, and how the other young players like Moncada and Jimenez were influenced and inspired to work just as hard.  

As for the “they let up off the gas and wilted” wasn’t because they lacked the wisdom of Tony LaRussa in the dugout.  It’s because they were collectively a young team getting their first taste of success and experience in a pennant race and a postseason.  It is that experience they will learn from and what they will build upon that will be the primary reason they take things to the next level, and not simply staring at the World Series rings on LaRussa’s fingers.  

50 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

giphy.gif

Lol...def walked into that one.

Guess I'll clarify more on Spain.  She is first off a pretty disgusting person and massive hypocrite.  Haven't been able to stand her since her petty mocking of Paige Sprianac was exposed, claiming that Paige's success was solely due to her looks (ironic given how many say Sarah's came from her boobs), not to mention her victim blaming of Jenn Sterger for getting sexually harrassed.  Then she pushes the whole "Me Too" movement probably more than any other ESPN personality, without seeming to understand the blatant hypocrisy.  Listening to her a lot on Le Betard's radio show was awful.  She takes herself so seriously, and immediately get's defensive when challenged.  She's just never been a good fit on any of their programs because she thinks she's above everyone and is incapable of laughing at herself.  Further, her mental gymnastics on certain issues are just exhausting.  She initially came to addison russell's defense, but then immediately blasts Mayweather for physical abuse.  She has time and time again exposed herself for having no consistent position on issues, unless she is being challenged - then the attacker is a bad sexist woman hater for not agreeing with her.  

Sarah's problem is that she is not a sports journalist.  She is a social justice preacher, who believes she is above what she preaches, and uses the platform given to her by ESPN to try and lecture others.  

Edited by ChiSox1917

16 minutes ago, Quin said:

Tony La Russa was with the Diamondbacks and executed what is considered one of the worst trades of all time, especially because of what was known about how the players were valued at the time.

He traded for the wrong Basabe brother because he didn't get the name right.

He signed Yasmany Tomas.

Their signing of Yoan Lopez blocked their international spending for two years.

Your argument that he has success "everywhere he's been"?

f9f.png

wait...did we hire TLR to be the GM?  I must have missed that. 

9 minutes ago, Thad Bosley said:

You are shortchanging our young players and the awesome leading by example that Jose Abreu has demonstrated the past several years.

This business that the team needs this 76 year-old to come in to “show them how to play the game hard all the time” and without him there to “demand their best” it won’t happen, just spits in the eye of the hard work ethic that Abreu exhibits each and every day, and how the other young players like Moncada and Jimenez were influenced and inspired to work just as hard.  

As for the “they let up off the gas and wilted” wasn’t because they lacked the wisdom of Tony LaRussa in the dugout.  It’s because they were collectively a young team getting their first taste of success and experience in a pennant race and a postseason.  It is that experience they will learn from and what they will build upon that will be the primary reason they take things to the next level, and not simply staring at the World Series rings on LaRussa’s fingers.  

Have Moncada and Eloy shown a hard work ethic at this point?  I haven't seen it.  I like Eloy but he has made zero improvement defensively.  Moncada is harder to tell.  It very well may be the case that he was really plagued this year by Covid fatigue, but he also has reports out about him eating 50 twinkies a week and concerns he can't play through minor bumps and bruises.  

I love Abreu, and he's shown a ton of personal work ethic (also Anderson).  But I don't believe that it has necessarily inspired others.  Not to mention that work ethic and personal improvement aren't all there is to it.  Some of these guys need to be called out for loafing, and making mental errors in game.  We had an insanely talented team last year (on the offensive end), but there was still a lot of sloppy play.  TLR's teams don't play sloppy baseball.  

Edited by ChiSox1917

4 minutes ago, ChiSox1917 said:

Have Moncada and Eloy shown a hard work ethic at this point?  I haven't seen it.  I like Eloy but he has made zero improvement defensively.  Moncada is harder to tell.  It very well may be the case that he was really plagued this year by Covid fatigue, but he also has reports out about him eating 50 twinkies a week and concerns he can't play through minor bumps and bruises.  

I love Abreu, and he's shown a ton of personal work ethic (also Anderson).  But I don't believe that it has necessarily inspired others.  Not to mention that work ethic and personal improvement aren't all there is to it.  Some of these guys need to be called out for loafing, and making mental errors in game.  We had an insanely talented team last year (on the offensive end), but there was still a lot of sloppy play.  TLR's teams don't play sloppy baseball.  

Huh?  Have Moncada and Eloy shown a hard work ethic at this point?  Of course they have.  Just because you haven’t seen it doesn’t mean it isn’t there.  Both have said they look up to Abreu as their role model from a work ethic perspective, and certainly Moncada doesn’t make the extraordinary improvement from 2018 to 2019 without working his ass off to make the adjustments he’s made.  

Same with Eloy.  Stone has mentioned many times the hard work he puts into improving his defense.  He obviously needs to continue to work on that defense, but if you remember where his defense was a couple of years ago, he’s definitely improved some.  

Also, can you advise us who on this team needs to be called out for loafing?  Say what you will about Renteria, but these guys did hustle for him.  And the sloppy play comment - what are you talking about?  What sloppy play are you referring to?  Is it In the field?  On the bases?  By whom?  And who is making mental errors at such a clip that the team needs a manager nine years removed from the dugout to come in and fix the problem?  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

20 hours ago, fathom said:

cough DiCaro cough

This. Not only is she the dumbest "sports journalist" in the country, but she is also a vile human being that made a career out of playing the victim. She also has a horrendous grasp of the English language. I have no idea how she became a lawyer or "journalist". 

• Love 1

8 hours ago, fathom said:

“Dumbfounded” according to Passan from what he heard from the players. This is a disaster so far.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/30220736/why-tony-la-russa-sincerely-curious-choice-white-sox-manager?platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true

holy shit, Passan lit TLR and JR the fuck up.  that was amazing

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Thad Bosley said:

And the sloppy play comment - what are you talking about?  What sloppy play are you referring to?  Is it In the field?  On the bases?  By whom?  And who is making mental errors at such a clip that the team needs a manager nine years removed from the dugout to come in and fix the problem?  

I mean, the 2019-2020 White Sox weren't the crispest team I've ever seen in those spots, but I didn't think it was much beyond "there's a pretty young, inexperienced team here". Madrigal, for example, was a surprising disappointment in this regard last year. 

But I've seen sloppy teams. Robin Ventura's teams 2013-2016. If you go back through game threads in 2013 I swear I posted the youtube link to "Circus music" at least 30 times. That was a sloppy team with a manager who didn't give a crap. It wasn't just the rookies, it was everyone. I'm half serious when I say I'd be surprised if I saw a video of them correctly hitting a cutoff man all year. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

I wonder if you even listen to him. I don't like blanket statements. I like to consider everything them make up my mind. Whitlock has quite a fat wallet for a supposed dummy.

Who called him a dummy? He's a hot taek artist like Skip and Cowherd. I'm sure he has good points from time to time as well, but he has a schtick.

48 minutes ago, ChiSox1917 said:

Lol...def walked into that one.

Guess I'll clarify more on Spain.  She is first off a pretty disgusting person and massive hypocrite.  Haven't been able to stand her since her petty mocking of Paige Sprianac was exposed, claiming that Paige's success was solely due to her looks (ironic given how many say Sarah's came from her boobs), not to mention her victim blaming of Jenn Sterger for getting sexually harrassed.  Then she pushes the whole "Me Too" movement probably more than any other ESPN personality, without seeming to understand the blatant hypocrisy.  Listening to her a lot on Le Betard's radio show was awful.  She takes herself so seriously, and immediately get's defensive when challenged.  She's just never been a good fit on any of their programs because she thinks she's above everyone and is incapable of laughing at herself.  Further, her mental gymnastics on certain issues are just exhausting.  She initially came to addison russell's defense, but then immediately blasts Mayweather for physical abuse.  She has time and time again exposed herself for having no consistent position on issues, unless she is being challenged - then the attacker is a bad sexist woman hater for not agreeing with her.  

Sarah's problem is that she is not a sports journalist.  She is a social justice preacher, who believes she is above what she preaches, and uses the platform given to her by ESPN to try and lecture others.  

Pot, meet kettle.

• Love 1

8 hours ago, fathom said:

“Dumbfounded” according to Passan from what he heard from the players. This is a disaster so far.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/30220736/why-tony-la-russa-sincerely-curious-choice-white-sox-manager?platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true

I thought that hiring Hinch was supposed to be the move that would cause the Sox to receive negative media coverage. Seems like the La Russa hire isn't being as well received as I am sure JR thought it would be. I sure hope JR doesn't see this as his big signing for the year.

And I am sincere about this.

10 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I mean, the 2019-2020 White Sox weren't the crispest team I've ever seen in those spots, but I didn't think it was much beyond "there's a pretty young, inexperienced team here". Madrigal, for example, was a surprising disappointment in this regard last year. 

But I've seen sloppy teams. Robin Ventura's teams 2013-2016. If you go back through game threads in 2013 I swear I posted the youtube link to "Circus music" at least 30 times. That was a sloppy team with a manager who didn't give a crap. It wasn't just the rookies, it was everyone. I'm half serious when I say I'd be surprised if I saw a video of them correctly hitting a cutoff man all year. 

Oh, 100% agree, this year’s team wasn’t the “crispiest”, and Madrigal was definitely more sloppy than any of us expected.  

But this other poster is acting like the team needs some strict disciplinarian to come in and whip these sloppy loafers into place, and that is NOT the kind of roster LaRussa is inheriting.  

Edited by Thad Bosley

5 minutes ago, Thad Bosley said:

Oh, 100% agree, this year’s team wasn’t the “crispiest”, and Madrigal was definitely more sloppy than any of us expected.  

But this other poster is acting like the team needs some strict disciplinarian to come in and whip these sloppy loafers into place, and that is NOT the kind of roster LaRussa is inheriting.  

Haven't said anything about being a "disciplinarian". TLR's teams do not play sloppy. His Oakland teams didn't. His Cardinals teams didn't. 

Did you watch the games this year? I watched every single one. This team was not crisp. It was incredibly talented though, which overcame a lot of it. And part of the problem was that Rickey wasn't correcting it. TLR holds his players accountable, and makes them better by doing it. 

You were the one that brought up work ethic, and I gave a response to it. It's one thing to go out and practice a lot. It's another to practice the right way and improve. Eloy is the worst defensive outfielder I have ever seen. I have not seen any improvement in that aspect of his game. Moncada specifically has had questions about his work ethic since coming up in the minors. Yes he improved from 2018 - 2019, but is that his peak? Given his skill set, I hope not. 

11 minutes ago, Tony said:

You are a colossal waste of time. Why try and learn something new when your mind is already made up based on a simple lack of knowledge and understanding? 

It makes your other beliefs make so much more sense now. 

What am I supposed to learn from that video? Wake me up when Eloy isn't a complete liability in left field. 

5 minutes ago, ChiSox1917 said:

Haven't said anything about being a "disciplinarian". TLR's teams do not play sloppy. His Oakland teams didn't. His Cardinals teams didn't. 

Did you watch the games this year? I watched every single one. This team was not crisp. It was incredibly talented though, which overcame a lot of it. And part of the problem was that Rickey wasn't correcting it. TLR holds his players accountable, and makes them better by doing it. 

You were the one that brought up work ethic, and I gave a response to it. It's one thing to go out and practice a lot. It's another to practice the right way and improve. Eloy is the worst defensive outfielder I have ever seen. I have not seen any improvement in that aspect of his game. Moncada specifically has had questions about his work ethic since coming up in the minors. Yes he improved from 2018 - 2019, but is that his peak? Given his skill set, I hope not. 

What am I supposed to learn from that video? Wake me up when Eloy isn't a complete liability in left field. 

What the fuck does his production as a left fielder have to do with how hard he works? You haven't made a reasonable point or statement since you started posting here but i know youre trying your hardest. 

You seem to be confusing effort and skill. Must be hard.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Thad Bosley said:

I was re-reading the thread and your post got no likes  or anything but you really nailed it when you said you didn't get the memo that the Reinsdorf Loyalty Program had ended so the overtures to LaRussa had to be legit.

Sometimes being anti Jerry means you are correct. Hiring LaRussa put your arch rival SS2K5 into a deep tailspin.

• Like 1

• Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic