Tony La Russa named Manager

YourWhatHurts

6 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Going to guess the phone would be an easier choice for him.

Actually, Tony also has trouble operating a phone. Not sure if Western Union still does telegraphs.

Here is a link to one of Tony's "senior moments", ten years ago, which Tony chalked up to "phone issues" after completely blowing Game 5 of the 2011 World Series. 

https://www.espn.com/mlb/playoffs/2011/story/_/id/7145762/tony-la-russa-bad-call

Unrelated to phones, but on the subject of the process, I couldn't find a transcript of the Rick Hahn 10/12 Press Conference posted online or here.

However, transcribed below are the exact words of Rick Hahn when he stated the criteria for the next manager. Unfortunately for Rick, Kenny, and everyone else who works for or likes the White Sox, none of it was followed. Emphasis SSHM's in bold.

"I don't think I'm going to get into too much detail in terms of specific attributes. I don't want to say anything that's going to influence what we hear from any candidates when we go though this process. I will say that this is an opportunity for us as an organization. We've obviously been somewhat insular in terms of our managerial hirings over the last several years. This is an opportunity for us to speak to individuals with other organizations that have had success, and learn from them, and get their sort of outsider objective perspective on our organization. 

Ultimately, I think the best candidate, or the ideal candidate is going to be someone who has experience, with a championship organization, in recent years. Recent October experience with a championship organization would be ideal. But we're going to keep an open mind, and, you know, over these next several weeks we will diligently pursue who's on our list and go from there. "

Hahn's was asked if managerial experience was a prerequisite in the search and how an understanding of metrics is going to matter.

"Managerial experience is probably ideal. It's not essential, we're not going to unduly limit ourselves. I believe six of the eight managers that are still playing as of last week were in their first jobs. Obviously, we've seen others within our division, Rocco Baldelli did a wonderful job with Minnesota his first job, his first chance in the big chair. So we're not going to cut off any avenues, but ideally having that October managerial experience would be a plus. As for being a modern manager, yeah that's going to be important. Having an understanding of the clubhouse, the rhythm of the game. A good gut feel, but at the same time being able to balance that with modern analytics is a plus for any candidate. But again, I don't want to go too far down the path of laying out traits of what we are looking for, because that could potentially color how the conversations go when we get in a room with a candidate. But those are sort of the broad strokes."

Either before, during or after Rick stated the words above, Jerry Reinsdorf, not Rick Hahn, took it upon himself that very same day to reach out to Tony LaRussa and inquire about his interest. The White Sox hired him shortly thereafter, with former White Sox player Willie Harris the only other candidate the team formally met with to cover the "Bud Selig Rule". I hope Willie gets a White Sox Ambassador job for complying with the perfunctory interview.

Will close full circle with a music video tie-in to Tony's phone troubles, which was released when Tony LaRussa was still wearing a White Sox uniform in 1985.  Has definately aged better than Tony.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, ChiSox1917 said:

Is this a serious post?  What does production have to do with how hard he works?  Seriously?  Re-read that question.

Go look at Schwarber with the Cubs.  You think his defensive improvement was due to his "skill" and not his effort in improving? What about Arenado at 3B? The guy was projected to be borderline to stay at 3B as a prospect. His WORK, not his skill, led to him becoming the best defensive third baseman in the league.

On what planet do you live where you think a player's production doesn't have to do with how hard he works?

This is easily the dumbest thing I've read on here.  But what else can be expected from someone who doesn't even watch baseball games?

Oh let me help you.

On 10/30/2020 at 2:10 AM, ChiSox1917 said:

My order was:

1) Ozzie

2) TLR

3) mike scioscia

4) buck showalter

5) clint hurdle

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1

19 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Day 3. Any comment or congrats coach or anything from players in press today?

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It appears they’re sincerely protesting the hiring.

We're not going to hear much. I think it will ultimately be fine. It's like any work place. Some are totally fine with it, some aren't very happy and some are confused. A few of the top players were under the impression that AJ Hinch was the top candidate so it's easy to understand why some of the players feel blindsided. Tony La Russa can do the job from 7-10:30 every night I think. The organizational structure is a joke though and now it's right out in the open. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

We're not going to hear much. I think it will ultimately be fine. It's like any work place. Some are totally fine with it, some aren't very happy and some are confused. A few of the top players were under the impression that AJ Hinch was the top candidate so it's easy to understand why some of the players feel blindsided. Tony La Russa can do the job from 7-10:30 every night I think. The organizational structure is a joke though and now it's right out in the open. 

Well an obvious next thing you’d want to hear from someone, either TLDR or a player, is some version of “yes the coach reached out to me yesterday and we spoke on the phone for a few minutes” (edit accordingly).

6 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Honestly, my three biggest issues with the La Russa hiring are as follows:

1. We once again did no due diligence by failing to complete an extensive interview process and at least compare the qualities of La Russa to other candidates
  2. At face value La Russa seems to be a terrible fit for a young, enthusiastic team and creates unneeded risk of a clubhouse blowup at some point
  3. La Russa’s addition puts the organization hierarchy in question and potentially gives the manager too much influence on potential personnel decisions
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

1. We once again did no due diligence by failing to complete an extensive interview process and at least compare the qualities of La Russa to other candidates
  2. At face value La Russa seems to be a terrible fit for a young, enthusiastic team and creates unneeded risk of a clubhouse blowup at some point
  3. La Russa’s addition puts the organization hierarchy in question and potentially gives the manager too much influence on potential personnel decisions

Good summary. On Number 2, I think Tony is going to adjust in a big way, because he has to. In the last couple days I've heard Matt Holliday, Paul Konerko, and Jim Leyland say all he cares about is winning that day's game. Konerko thinks that adjusting to that concern is part of the equation in winning that day's game. So if it's just staying out of the clubhouse for the most part and ignoring some of the rah-rah stuff that he's not used to, he'll probably not say a word. What he will do though---which is the right thing to do- is demand to be prepared to play that day, and make guy's work on things they need to work on. 

The process  on how he was hired was terrible. AJ HInch should be the Sox manager now, but it didn't happen because of Reinsdorf….but it's done now. Hopefully everyone involved has an open mind and they actually find out he's a good manager and we see Tony manage a Sox World Series team in the next couple years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Hey good list but I don't see how you could leave off not only how players on our team feel about the hire but players around baseball, specifically free agents.

You could make an argument that money talks loudest I suppose when it comes to the majority of Free Agents but it just makes the organization look soooooooooooooooooo ridiculously idiotic.

How our players feel is the main concern. The fact that the Sox now have to reach out to reassure them to give LaRussa a chance shouldn't have to happen.Every disagreement with LaRussa among players now has the potential to turn into hatred for the organization. Lucky for Hahn he tied up our young stars to longer deals because he's probably not going to be able to do that now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’ll add a 4. Despite this being a $2 billion valued business with a major multi year revenue crisis, ownership still views the whole thing as their personal play toy. Thus, we can expect the clown show setting of stories and actions to continue.

• Like 1

CWS    Good list. I was not in favor of his hiring but as a 50 year fan will hope it works. Hopefully, the near universal panning of this move will motivate our manager to really prove people wrong. I mean that in a hopefully good way. You have to be true to yourself or the players will see it is just BS.  My values haven’t changed but my attitude towards things have changed over time. I hope he can adapt to today and I also hope the players give him a fair chance. Abreu will be a key in how this works out as well as Tim. Both sides need to listen but ultimately this is about baseball.  I wish we had a great manager who everyone loves but don’t see the love part. AJ was not loved but I wanted him on my team. Winning cures a lot. Hope we win early and often. 

• Like 3

I'm tired of hearing about Rick Hahn. He has had his share of hits and misses like any GM.  Maybe it is time for a new GM that can co-exist with the Owner and Manager and  has experience signing the type of players that will make this a World Series team. 

7 minutes ago, tray said:

I'm tired of hearing about Rick Hahn. He has had his share of hits and misses like any GM.  Maybe it is time for a new GM that can co-exist with the Owner and Manager and  has experience signing the type of players that will make this a World Series team. 

Steve Stone, GM.

Replace him in the booth with AJ.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, tray said:

Well they’re not bringing in an experienced outside GM unless he’s one of JRs buddies, but yes if Hahn isn’t going to be allowed to be the GM then it’s time to find one who is at least allowed to do the job and who has the confidence of ownership.

• Like 1

• Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic