Tony La Russa named Manager

YourWhatHurts

7 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Well an obvious next thing you’d want to hear from someone, either TLDR or a player, is some version of “yes the coach reached out to me yesterday and we spoke on the phone for a few minutes” (edit accordingly).

What does the D stand for?

DUI?

Depends?

Dementia?

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This take bothers me for some reason every time I read it.

1. Players have been stealing signs since the game was invented. Stealing signs is very easy to combat - you change them. 

2. The astros used tech to steal signs, it was wrong and bad. They took the cheating tooooo fa4.

3. Citing 1 player in a clubhouse doing steroids or a couple and comparing it to 80% of a roster is just being convenient. 

The astros took sign stealing - something you try to do as a 12 year old in travel ball - and took it to a real shitty level. The a's took steroids to a level they had never been before. The difference is, i can't change my signs to prevent steroid use. Im totally out of control.

Steroids were significantly worse. Its not even comparable.

Joe Nossek stealing signs from the dugout is one thing. Rigging a system involving cameras and computers to pass real time info to the hitter on a pitch by pitch basis is the worst scandal that's happened in baseball since Pete Rose. Bar none. Every team in baseball was/is using PED's, even while the A's were. Nobody has come close to building a system like the one Hinch and Cora used. 

Newflash: most of your favorite players were, and still are, doping. 

Edited by TaylorStSox

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I simply tired hearing about how AJ Hinch is a cheater in a thread where we hired Mark McGwire's manager. If the cheating scandal is disqualifying for Hinch, then the decades of steroid abuse on his teams should be disqualifying for LaRussa. We don't know how many other teams were cheating, but we do know that Tony LaRussa couldn't have possibly cared less about his teams being clean. 

The majority didn't want anything to do with either

15 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Joe Nossek stealing signs from the dugout is one thing. Rigging a system involving cameras and computers to pass real time info to the hitter on a pitch by pitch basis is the worst scandal that's happened in baseball since Pete Rose. Bar none. Every team in baseball was/is using PED's, even while the A's were. Nobody has come close to building a system like the one Hinch and Cora used. 

Newflash: most of your favorite players were, and still are, doping. 

Sigh. This is just absurd.

One scandal destroyed the record books of baseball.

The other one gave a team the runner on 2nd advantage all game.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, VAfan said:

I love how all of the people who are b****ing about this move have:

1. Never managed a major league baseball game in their lives.

2. Never played major league baseball.

3. Never served as a major league baseball executive 

Yet you all seem to think that: 

A. The person who has managed more than 5,000 games, winning more than 2,700 of them, and who has led more teams to division winning titles, and pennants than the Chicago White Sox have had in their 115+ year history, and just as many World Series titles

- Doesn't know how to manage any more
- Doesn't know how to manage or relate to players
- Doesn't understand analytics
- Doesn't know how to work with a front office, and
- Is going to create clubhouse tension.

B. That AJ Hinch was the slam dunk better choice, even though

- He just spent a year banned from baseball because of his role in perhaps the worst cheating scandall in MLB history
- Won his only WS title when that cheating was in place
- Couldn't lead his team past the Nationals last year even with Gerrit Cole and Justin Verlander (Dusty Baker got within one game of the WS without either of these pitchers)
- Got outmanaged by Dave Martinez, and blew the Series, just like Cash did this year for the Rays, when he went to the bullpen hook for a starting pitcher who was cruising with a lead, only to see his relief pitcher get blown up and give up the tying and winning runs

Now, there's no guarantee Tony LaRussa is going to work out, just like there was no guarantee that AJ Hinch or any other managerial choice would. 

But to think the White Sox made some colossal mistake by hiring the most accomplished baseball manager alive today is nothing short of ludicrous, and to hear it from a bunch of neophytes who don't know the first thing about the challenges of the job is rather tiresome. 

By your own logic, you lack the knowledge to tell people they are wrong here.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, soulfly said:

To be fair, a lot of MLB players were also doing that at the time, not just the players on his teams.  The flip side is, Hinch was part of one or two teams that were cheating.  Plus he was a straight up cuck when confronted about it.

Dude got off light and shouldn't even have been in a position to manage this year.  MLBs punishment was a joke.

Do you believe that only Houston and Boston have created elaborate cheating systems?  

• Thanks 2

Well, Nick Capra joins Coop and Ricky at the unemployment line.  HE GONE!

So what is the future for McEwing and Boston?  Very likely McEwing stays because of his already well-developed relationship with LaRussa from back in their St. Louis days together.  

Boston is a different story.  He’s a former White Sox, and we know how that plays with Mr. Loyalty Program.  He was also managed by LaRussa at the beginning of his career back from 1884 - 1886, I mean, 1984 - 1986.  So that history in and of itself could make his job safe.  At the same time, you could easily see them just cut bait like they did with both Cooper and Capra, both of whom were with the organization a long time.

So two big questions and ones germane to the logic of the LaRussa hiring: who fills the two current vacancies, and will there be any other vacancies coming?

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2020/10/31/21543553/third-base-coach-nick-capra-wont-be-part-of-tony-la-russas-staff

Edited by Thad Bosley

Late to the show but here's my take:

I think it's entirely possible that the White Sox could have executed a thorough, objective search and interview process and still ended up choosing Tony La Russa. I don't think there's any way it wouldn't still be understood as a risky, potentially polarizing move -- but he clearly checks some of their boxes more strongly than any other candidate available. I don't think I would have LIKED the move even then, but I would at least admit that I could see that there was logic behind it, assuming I knew they really did all their homework and considered all options.

However, the fact that I KNOW that such a process did NOT occur -- that the decision was entirely emotional, made by the one guy that was NOT hired to be a baseball expert, and from all accounts left no room at all for any other possibility -- makes all of the risks and cons seem much more likely and substantial, because now I can't even believe that someone did the due diligence necessary to find out. I mean, for example: what if Rick Hahn or KW took the time to get input from the leaders in the clubhouse, like Abreu and TA? I'd have to think that even just the gesture itself of seeking input would cause the players to be more willing to accept such a jarring change, and it would, at the very least, have given the administration an opportunity to sell the move. But the fact that it's being reported that the clubhouse is in disarray suggests that such a thing either could not have occurred, or if it did, was so obviously a ruse that it didn't convince anyone.

I can see why Jerry Reinsdorf would feel the impulse to take the reins in this case -- I'm sure he really does understand that this is his last real shot at another title, and the instinct to be the author of your own fate when everything is on the line is common and not necessarily a bad thing. But you'd think, of all people, Reinsdorf would have learned the value of "hiring people smarter than you" to make the decisions you aren't qualified to make. Except, of course he hasn't -- this is the guy who just rides the SAME group of executives through decades of failure, as if no amount of evidence could convince him that the problem is stemming from the process.

This move certainly might work out, there's even a decent chance -- but if it does, it will be because it was blind luck, not because it was a smart move. And THAT should bother all of us.

Edited by Eminor3rd
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 10/30/2020 at 7:35 PM, ChiSox1917 said:

Lol...def walked into that one.

Guess I'll clarify more on Spain.  She is first off a pretty disgusting person and massive hypocrite.  Haven't been able to stand her since her petty mocking of Paige Sprianac was exposed, claiming that Paige's success was solely due to her looks (ironic given how many say Sarah's came from her boobs), not to mention her victim blaming of Jenn Sterger for getting sexually harrassed.  Then she pushes the whole "Me Too" movement probably more than any other ESPN personality, without seeming to understand the blatant hypocrisy.  Listening to her a lot on Le Betard's radio show was awful.  She takes herself so seriously, and immediately get's defensive when challenged.  She's just never been a good fit on any of their programs because she thinks she's above everyone and is incapable of laughing at herself.  Further, her mental gymnastics on certain issues are just exhausting.  She initially came to addison russell's defense, but then immediately blasts Mayweather for physical abuse.  She has time and time again exposed herself for having no consistent position on issues, unless she is being challenged - then the attacker is a bad sexist woman hater for not agreeing with her.  

Sarah's problem is that she is not a sports journalist.  She is a social justice preacher, who believes she is above what she preaches, and uses the platform given to her by ESPN to try and lecture others.  

You watch waaaaay too much sports tv to know this much about ESPN personalities.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, HOFHurt35 said:

The Electronic Cheating Scandal dwarfs the steroid era.  It's not even close. 

Steroids - by some accounts, up to 80% of the players were involved, it was so spread out that almost the playing field W/L advantage was non-existent.

The Electronic scandal was one team that got busted, and it's the one that took the World Series trophy. 

Not to mention even in the steriod era, guys were doing it yes.. but it was highly, highly doubtful an entire team was juicing. The Astros scandal every single one of those players knew what was going on and used it to their advantage. Alex Wood put it best.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2020 at 7:35 PM, ChiSox1917 said:

Lol...def walked into that one.

Guess I'll clarify more on Spain.  She is first off a pretty disgusting person and massive hypocrite.  Haven't been able to stand her since her petty mocking of Paige Sprianac was exposed, claiming that Paige's success was solely due to her looks (ironic given how many say Sarah's came from her boobs), not to mention her victim blaming of Jenn Sterger for getting sexually harrassed.  Then she pushes the whole "Me Too" movement probably more than any other ESPN personality, without seeming to understand the blatant hypocrisy.  Listening to her a lot on Le Betard's radio show was awful.  She takes herself so seriously, and immediately get's defensive when challenged.  She's just never been a good fit on any of their programs because she thinks she's above everyone and is incapable of laughing at herself.  Further, her mental gymnastics on certain issues are just exhausting.  She initially came to addison russell's defense, but then immediately blasts Mayweather for physical abuse.  She has time and time again exposed herself for having no consistent position on issues, unless she is being challenged - then the attacker is a bad sexist woman hater for not agreeing with her.  

Sarah's problem is that she is not a sports journalist.  She is a social justice preacher, who believes she is above what she preaches, and uses the platform given to her by ESPN to try and lecture others.  

Spain is fucking Amazing. From your rambling about her, I gather you don't like women in your sports... or women in general. Yikes.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Eminor3rd said:

Late to the show but here's my take:

I think it's entirely possible that the White Sox could have executed a thorough, objective search and interview process and still ended up choosing Tony La Russa. I don't think there's any way it wouldn't still be understood as a risky, potentially polarizing move -- but he clearly checks some of their boxes more strongly than any other candidate available. I don't think I would have LIKED the move even then, but I would at least admit that I could see that there was logic behind it, assuming I knew they really did all their homework and considered all options.

However, the fact that I KNOW that such a process did NOT occur -- that the decision was entirely emotional, made by the one guy that was NOT hired to be a baseball expert, and from all accounts left no room at all for any other possibility -- makes all of the risks and cons seem much more likely and substantial, because now I can't even believe that someone did the due diligence necessary to find out. I mean, for example: what if Rick Hahn or KW took the time to get input from the leaders in the clubhouse, like Abreu and TA? I'd have to think that even just the gesture itself of seeking input would cause the players to be more willing to accept such a jarring change, and it would, at the very least, have given the administration an opportunity to sell the move. But the fact that it's being reported that the clubhouse is in disarray suggests that such a thing either could not have occurred, or if it did, was so obviously a ruse that it didn't convince anyone.

I can see why Jerry Reinsdorf would feel the impulse to take the reins in this case -- I'm sure he really does understand that this is his last real shot at another title, and the instinct to be the author of your own fate when everything is on the line is common and not necessarily a bad thing. But you'd think, of all people, Reinsdorf would have learned the value of "hiring people smarter than you" to make the decisions you aren't qualified to make. Except, of course he hasn't -- this is the guy who just rides the SAME group of executives through decades of failure, as if no amount of evidence could convince him that the problem is stemming from the process.

This move certainly might work out, there's even a decent chance -- but if it does, it will be because it was blind luck, not because it was a smart move. And THAT should bother all of us.

Jerry Reinsdorf has been around baseball and it's people longer than most of us.  I'm sure he feels well versed in its intricacies since he has watched literally thousands of games. I can't imagine most of us owning this club and sitting quietly while our favorite manager is passed over to hire someone else.  I know it sounds reasonable to hire the people to run the team and let them do it.  However, most owners take some role in these matters with George Steinbrenner and Charles Finley being extreme examples.  I am willing to cut JR some slack since there are bigger crimes than hiring a HOF manager to make on-field decisions.  Can't imagine how I would have tolerated some of the lineup and in-game decisions these past 10 years.  Pretty sure I would have stuck my nose in before now. 

4 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Not to mention even in the steriod era, guys were doing it yes.. but it was highly, highly doubtful an entire team was juicing. The Astros scandal every single one of those players knew what was going on and used it to their advantage. Alex Wood put it best.

What the hell? So for steroids it’s only bad if an entire team does it, but for the electronic system it’s worse if they just know about it? How’s that for a double standard. 

“Hey Mark what’s this bottle androstenedione in your locker? And why do you and Jose keep going into the toilet stall and dropping your pants? And what’s with all the acne? And why has the size of your head changed? Oh well, go hit some dingers!”

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Jerry Reinsdorf has been around baseball and it's people longer than most of us.  I'm sure he feels well versed in its intricacies since he has watched literally thousands of games. I can't imagine most of us owning this club and sitting quietly while our favorite manager is passed over to hire someone else.  I know it sounds reasonable to hire the people to run the team and let them do it.  However, most owners take some role in these matters with George Steinbrenner and Charles Finley being extreme examples.  I am willing to cut JR some slack since there are bigger crimes than hiring a HOF manager to make on-field decisions.  Can't imagine how I would have tolerated some of the lineup and in-game decisions these past 10 years.  Pretty sure I would have stuck my nose in before now. 

Al Davis/Jerry Jones has been around football and it's people longer than most of us.  I'm sure he feels well versed in its intricacies since he has watched literally thousands of games. I can't imagine most of us owning this club and sitting quietly while our favorite coach is passed over to hire someone else.  I know it sounds reasonable to hire the people to run the team and let them do it. However, most owners take some role in these matters.

See, works for the bad examples too.

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Al Davis/Jerry Jones has been around football and it's people longer than most of us.  I'm sure he feels well versed in its intricacies since he has watched literally thousands of games. I can't imagine most of us owning this club and sitting quietly while our favorite coach is passed over to hire someone else.  I know it sounds reasonable to hire the people to run the team and let them do it. However, most owners take some role in these matters.

See, works for the bad examples too.

I wasn't making the point that owners getting involved in hiring decisions works or doesn't.  Just saying you or I have opinions and would probably act on them if we owned the team.

4 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Come on... 

Yes, that's why all the astros broke homerun records year after year, and its why one of the asteos hit more home runs than times they swung and missed... oh wait that was Barry.

Alex Wood is saying that because he personally feels cheated. There is no evidence that this is anywhere near as beneficial as steroids and insinuating otherwise is just putting your head in the sand and ignoring results.

Alex Bregman, Correa, altuve, springer and etc are very good. They werent significantly better than their career numbers in those years. 

Also, your assumption is just flat out wrong. There were multiple astros who refused the help because they didn't want the distraction. Just as some of your teammates don't want you telling them signs when you're on second base because it's distracting and:

Even if a pitch is called to a quadrant it does not mean the pitcher will throw it there. 

Lastly, hitting for some is entirely reactionary and they have no desire to know what might be coming. 

Astros cheated, but trevor bauer scuffing the ball to get more spin is more beneficial than a batter being relayed signs. The results simply don't lie.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Thanks 1

• Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic