Tony La Russa named Manager

YourWhatHurts

32 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yes, but the people today who hate protests like to pretend like they were fans of Malcolm, MLK, Ali, Jackie back in the day.... when in reality, they were the same people back in the day that shouted down MLK, Malcolm and Jackie's mission.

Nothing cracks me up more than when people say.... "Black people just need a leader like MLK" when being critical of Kaep. Pretending as if MLK wasn't murdered by white people for his beliefs and protesting.

Revisionist history is always entertaining to view from the sideline. I support anyone speaking out against oppression and I support all matters in which they do it; even those that make me uncomfortable. That's what support is.

This is true, so true. The Kaep situation was even more maddening because the NFL also caved to the President when he said that he'd get owners fired for signing Kaep. 

29 minutes ago, ThirdGen said:

None of those examples involve teams basically living together and playing together for nine months out of the year, with the exception of Robinson.  Jackie Robinson was not involved in political protests during the games, he was specifically selected for his ability to avoid those conflicts.  What is happening on teams across sports currently is completely unprecedented in its scope.  At some point we will see a clubhouse self destruct as it is impossible to construct a team where every player coach and manager hold compatible political beliefs.  Hopefully it is not the Sox.  If some players truly are ignoring TLR track record as a manager because he is conservative it is very concerning, because I suspect some Sox players are closer to LaRussa in beliefs than Anderson.

Jackie Robinson not protesting technically in game was by design. Branch told him it was for the better good to deal with it, but him playing was the ultimate slap to racism in baseball. Believe me, Jackie had a lot of slurs and anger aimed at him on the field. But again, he was silent because his involvement in the MLB did the speaking for him. 

Edit. In game protesting would have defeated the purpose. So that was not the way to go in Jackie's situation. That is not the case for others. 

Edited by SonofaRoache

32 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Its funny that you mention a clubhouse destructing, because bringing a powderkeg like LaRussa who has no problem making his beliefs public and has publicly said he would taken actions against players who contradict his beliefs, would be the top person is baseball to cause the destruction of a clubhouse IMO.

Lots of coaches have said the same thing, Dave Roberts for example initially said that kneeling was disrespectful to his father, a Marine.  

Many have come around since George Floyd's public murder.  I hope TLR will respect kneeling, he now says he will do so.  And I hope that those who choose to protest in this manner will respect those who don't as they feel it is disrespectful to those who gave their lives to protect our freedom, even though that freedom has not achieved full equality.

Those who attack the choice of TLR simply because his conservative views don't match theirs unfortunately don't give me much hope of either.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Tony LaRussa and Steve Stone both have a huge need to be the smartest guy in the room even if they are not. I think it will  lead to a pretty spectacular feud some day.

Steve will bite his tongue when it comes to Jerry’s guy. Like LaRussa, nobody else is going to hire Stone after this gig is up. Ditto Frank and Ozzie, hawking penis pills won’t pay the bills.

Tony has always been thin skinned and sensitive to any objective criticism, consistent with his level of entitlement and privlege as a crony hire.

Tony has swung fungo bats at reporters with questions regarding steroids. He confronted announcers as recently as a few years ago when they mentioned his well known history of retaliation/ bean ball wars, another toxic LaRussa trait I dread watching with his return.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SkokieSox said:
Ozzie Guillen was devastated to learn he wouldn't be a White Sox managerial candidate, but he has high praise for the Tony La Russa hiring. "This is the guy the White Sox need," Guillen says. bit.ly/387fxc0 via @mullyhaugh

Another reason to dislike the move, Ozzie thinks it's a good one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Score has been more than happy to report every bad thought about Larussa and dismiss any good ones that snuck onto the airwaves only because they were unexpected (Holliday, Kittle and Carrington come immediately to mind).

I don't like the move but the Cubs' corporate partner is certainly doing its part to shape how it is viewed locally.

18 minutes ago, Superstar Lamar said:

The Score has been more than happy to report every bad thought about Larussa and dismiss any good ones that snuck onto the airwaves only because they were unexpected (Holliday, Kittle and Carrington come immediately to mind).

I don't like the move but the Cubs' corporate partner is certainly doing its part to shape how it is viewed locally.

Parkins was expecting to have Tony La Russa on yesterday. Now he's not going on any local shows. Bruce Levine, the station's baseball insider has praised the hire and guys like Ron Coomer and Zach Zaidman have spoken about how great it is on air. Ozzie said it was a great hire on air. Jim Leyland was on and loved it. 

This post just isn't true. There are more Sox fans at 670 than Cubs fans and Entercom (780) is trying to land the Sox radio right next year. There's no conspiracy here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Jerry hired him because Jerry has no public or social lens. He doesn't care. The rest of the org has to do whatever they have to do though. 

Jerry has always been a manager or coach’s contribution is quite overblown type of guy, except for LaRussa, and as someone who watched most of his first stint with JR owning the team, it is hard to understand why. He had one great year, all others fairly disappointing. The year he was fired, the team was much better under Fregosi.

Even his great year was a great 4 months.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Superstar Lamar said:

Laurence Holmes was flabbergasted when Carrington called him out for his strong criticism of the La Russa hire. Laurence proceeded to address him as "young man" in a condescending fashion. 

Edited by Yearnin' for Yermin

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Jerry has always been a manager or coach’s contribution is quite overblown type of guy, except for LaRussa, and as someone who watched most of his first stint with JR owning the team, it is hard to understand why. He had one great year, all others fairly disappointing. The year he was fired, the team was much better under Fregosi.

Even his great year was a great 4 months.

I believe we had the before he was great years and we're getting the after he was great years. 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

If you were the organization, would you allow him to do local media? 

I don't get this - he's the manager of the big league team, if you aren't willing to allow him on the radio why would you hire him as your mgr. Doesn't really make sense.  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I don't get this - he's the manager of the big league team, if you aren't willing to allow him on the radio why would you hire him as your mgr. Doesn't really make sense.  

Well the people that are in charge of things like this along with the actual front office of the club didn't want to hire him. Jerry likely doesn't think it's important for La Russa to speak with the local media, so fuck it. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Well the people that are in charge of things like this along with the actual front office of the club didn't want to hire him. Jerry likely doesn't think it's important for La Russa to speak with the local media, so fuck it. 

Jerry must also think it’s not important for Tony to speak with the players 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

No doubt JR could care less about the media, at least now. But every manager has to talk to the media, at least some. But this the least of it. 

41 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I mean, yesterday when people asked why he had gone on MLB network and answered questions saying “we’re strong at shortstop and 1b” people wondered why he hadn’t said any players names. The obvious explanation is that since he didn’t have to interview or prepare, he doesn’t know them yet. That would fully explain why he couldn’t do local media where they would want to talk about certain players too, fitting that hypothesis.

• Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic