Tony La Russa named Manager

YourWhatHurts

26 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I mean, yesterday when people asked why he had gone on MLB network and answered questions saying “we’re strong at shortstop and 1b” people wondered why he hadn’t said any players names. The obvious explanation is that since he didn’t have to interview or prepare, he doesn’t know them yet. That would fully explain why he couldn’t do local media where they would want to talk about certain players too, fitting that hypothesis.

I get that it is easy to say the above - but I don't know how a mgr who has accomplished everything he could would just mail in the towel like that and I can't imagine during the interview process these guys didn't talk about players and strategy, if for no other reason I'm sure TLR wanted assurances this team was going to make the necessary investments, etc.  This isn't a guy who just had to take a job or something - he has turned down past overtures (allegedly).  

People don't regularly get to the top without doing something right (not always true) but to have sustained success like he did, implies to me that he isn't afraid of work & hustle, etc. No one hands you something in baseball - maybe in life you can get a big inheritance or whatever else, but the game of baseball is earned...period. 

If I'm wrong - well it really is the dumpster fire all of you said it is. In fact - it is that and than some, but I'm not going to just assume that (at least not yet).  If the season starts and all the players are saying hi for the 1st time...well than I stand corrected.  I

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

I get that it is easy to say the above - but I don't know how a mgr who has accomplished everything he could would just mail in the towel like that and I can't imagine during the interview process these guys didn't talk about players and strategy, if for no other reason I'm sure TLR wanted assurances this team was going to make the necessary investments, etc.  This isn't a guy who just had to take a job or something - he has turned down past overtures (allegedly).  

People don't regularly get to the top without doing something right (not always true) but to have sustained success like he did, implies to me that he isn't afraid of work & hustle, etc. No one hands you something in baseball - maybe in life you can get a big inheritance or whatever else, but the game of baseball is earned...period. 

If I'm wrong - well it really is the dumpster fire all of you said it is. In fact - it is that and than some, but I'm not going to just assume that (at least not yet).  If the season starts and all the players are saying hi for the 1st time...well than I stand corrected.  I

I don’t think there was an interview process. I think the chairman said this is happening and it happened. They scheduled a bulls**t interview with Willie Harris to check the Selig rule box having already told TLDR that the job was his.

2 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I don't get this - he's the manager of the big league team, if you aren't willing to allow him on the radio why would you hire him as your mgr. Doesn't really make sense.  

He has 324 times minimum plus Spring Training to speak to the mostly lapdog Chicago media. If he can't face them more than once before March, it will definitely be an issue. He will assuredly slip in his "Deep Thoughts, by Tony LaRussa", unless the club restricts access to maybe once a series or week, and or has handlers there to shut down any questions or answers that make him or the club look bad.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

I don’t think there was an interview process. I think the chairman said this is happening and it happened. They scheduled a bulls**t interview with Willie Harris to check the Selig rule box having already told TLDR that the job was his.

I'm not sure Hahn and Kenny had a say firing Renteria, or hiring LaRussa. They extended Ricky 63 games ago, and he managed them to their best record in 15 years. I hope Ricky wins Manager of the Year, and can be hired elsewhere. He did everything that was asked of him.

1 hour ago, fathom said:

I’m sure he knows who Abreu is

Not sure if he'll ever know. Not sure if he'll make it to March either.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

I mean, yesterday when people asked why he had gone on MLB network and answered questions saying “we’re strong at shortstop and 1b” people wondered why he hadn’t said any players names. The obvious explanation is that since he didn’t have to interview or prepare, he doesn’t know them yet. That would fully explain why he couldn’t do local media where they would want to talk about certain players too, fitting that hypothesis.

Hell, in the 2000s, he didn't know the alphabet. The last time he managed, he didn't know how to use a telephone, or at least that was his excuse as to why he blew (no pun intended) Game 5.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

14 hours ago, tray said:

How the General Manager take charge and arrange player interviews with Tony and sit in on them ?

I think it is quite likely that if and when TLR contacts the players there will be no public acknowledgment of that from the players or management.  For all we know that process could be taking place now.  I have never seen a team discuss off season phone conversations and I don't think I've ever seen a player tweet about talking to a manager during the off season.  And in light of the potential for conflict, I think this is almost certain to be kept quiet, both to protect TLR and the players.  I doubt the Sox want the media to know that TLR spoke to TA for example, and have the media bombard TA with loaded questions to start controversy.

11 minutes ago, ThirdGen said:

I think it is quite likely that if and when TLR contacts the players there will be no public acknowledgment of that from the players or management.  For all we know that process could be taking place now.  I have never seen a team discuss off season phone conversations and I don't think I've ever seen a player tweet about talking to a manager during the off season.  And in light of the potential for conflict, I think this is almost certain to be kept quiet, both to protect TLR and the players.  I doubt the Sox want the media to know that TLR spoke to TA for example, and have the media bombard TA with loaded questions to start controversy.

There have been a lot of nevers in this hire.

I have never seen a guy who has been out of the job for a decade brought back to manage.

I have never seen such a visceral and immediate reaction to a managerial choice by a fan base

In a team full of guys who are very public and social media savvy, I have never seen them quiet like this.

For a guy like TLR who LOVES to run his mouth to the media, his media appearances have been totally shut down.  Never seen a guy hired who they didn't want talking to independent media this much.

22 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I have never seen a guy who has been out of the job for a decade brought back to manage.

This isn't even the first time the White Sox have done that.  But the last time was a disaster.

Jack McKeon once had 10 years between MLB managerial jobs.  Was in the front office most of that time.  Later won a WS in his 70's,  3 decades after his first job.  Also had gaps of 6 and 7 years along the way.

I'm sure there are more.

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

There have been a lot of nevers in this hire.

I have never seen such a visceral and immediate reaction to a managerial choice by a fan base

In a team full of guys who are very public and social media savvy, I have never seen them quiet like this.

For a guy like TLR who LOVES to run his mouth to the media, his media appearances have been totally shut down.  Never seen a guy hired who they didn't want talking to independent media this much.

Dick Vermeil is another reason why this may work...he was gone for 15 years.  Coaching football is much more important then baseball.  He actually won a super bowl upon his return

Of all the things to piss and moan about this hire, age and not managing for ten years is not two of them.  Football from 82-97 changed much more than baseball has from 2010-2020.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Of all the things to piss and moan about this hire, age and not managing for ten years is not two of them.  Football from 82-97 changed much more than baseball has from 2010-2020.

Sox fans, at least the vocal ones, drive me crazy. Hire inexperienced guys like Ventura and Bevington and there's the freak out. Got a guy like Renteria who speaks spanish and gets along with the players and the fans despise his in-game moves and want him out desperately. So what if he's a manager of the year finalist. get rid of him.

But now they hire a three-time WS champ, a guy who loves the White Sox, and a Hall of Famer and there's the worst reaction of all. Tony LaRussa is a fantastic hire and Sox fans, many of 'em, are furious. They might even boo him out of the stadium on opening day at this rate.

This is either an age thing completely or the desire to have a perfect person married to analytics to run the team. The mistakes he's made in his life ... geez, give the guy a break. I'm sure he regrets getting pulled over for a DUI. I'm sure everybody on here is still friends with folks they know who have gotten a DUI. I havent' abandoned friends and family who have DUIs in their past. Terrible, yes. Forgiveable? Yes if they are contrite and try to get help. I they injured somebody in that state, hopefully they are in prison.

Edited by greg775

11 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Sox fans, at least the vocal ones, drive me crazy. Hire inexperienced guys like Ventura and Bevington and there's the freak out. Got a guy like Renteria who speaks spanish and gets along with the players and the fans despise his in-game moves and want him out desperately. So what if he's a manager of the year finalist. get rid of him.

But now they hire a three-time WS champ, a guy who loves the White Sox, and a Hall of Famer and there's the worst reaction of all. Tony LaRussa is a fantastic hire and Sox fans, many of 'em, are furious. They might even boo him out of the stadium on opening day at this rate.

This is either an age thing completely or the desire to have a perfect person married to analytics to run the team. The mistakes he's made in his life ... geez, give the guy a break. I'm sure he regrets getting pulled over for a DUI. I'm sure everybody on here is still friends with folks they know who have gotten a DUI. I havent' abandoned friends and family who have DUIs in their past. Terrible, yes. Forgiveable? Yes if they are contrite and try to get help. I they injured somebody in that state, hopefully they are in prison.

Nobody misses the point line you do Greg. Nobody

13 minutes ago, greg775 said:

3 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Nobody misses the point line you do Greg. Nobody

tenor.gif

36 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

tenor.gif

What's the point line? Everything points to him being a great candidate except for his age. And that's ridiculous. His resume screams WINNER

Edited by greg775

55 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Dick Vermeil is another reason why this may work...he was gone for 15 years.  Coaching football is much more important then baseball.  He actually won a super bowl upon his return

Of all the things to piss and moan about this hire, age and not managing for ten years is not two of them Football from 82-97 changed much more than baseball has from 2010-2020.

I think age can be a key factor.  It is unfair to say that TLR is too old to manage a team. He may be perfectly capable of doing it. But there are also several areas like memory, physical stamina , mental stamina, patience to name a few that often result in gradual or rapid deterioration as people age.  Many of us  have probably looked at our parents and seen some decline in certain areas at all different ages. 

Last week when the rumors grew about the possibility of TLR being named, I posted an article about his time w Cora in 2018. The writer said he spent about 150 games home and away working w the Red Sox. That to me was a positive sign that he was very involved. But also remember he was in the press box so he was not facing the restrictions, in-game decisions, weather etc that managing on the field requires.

JR at 84 probably looked at Tony and figured he is still a young guy.  Hahn at 49 probably figured they hired an old man.  Hopefully Tony is closer to the young guy than the old man. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

I think age can be a key factor.  It is unfair to say that TLR is too old to manage a team. He may be perfectly capable of doing it. But there are also several areas like memory, physical stamina , mental stamina, patience to name a few that often result in gradual or rapid deterioration as people age.  Many of us  have probably looked at our parents and seen some decline in certain areas at all different ages. 

Last week when the rumors grew about the possibility of TLR being named, I posted an article about his time w Cora in 2018. The writer said he spent about 150 games home and away working w the Red Sox. That to me was a positive sign that he was very involved. But also remember he was in the press box so he was not facing the restrictions, in-game decisions, weather etc that managing on the field requires.

JR at 84 probably looked at Tony and figured he is still a young guy.  Hahn at 49 probably figured they hired an old man.  Hopefully Tony is closer to the young guy than the old man. 

How ironic that Tony La Russa once was ripped for being the youngest manager and now he's being ripped for being the oldest manager. I'm genuinely shocked Sox fans are against this hire. It says a lot that most Sox fans would prefer they never fired RR if it meant getting Hall of Famer Tony.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Unfortunately we will have to wait and see on that.  Tony has been in the game just not in the day to day grind. 

11 minutes ago, greg775 said:

How ironic that Tony La Russa once was ripped for being the youngest manager and now he's being ripped for being the oldest manager. I'm genuinely shocked Sox fans are against this hire. It says a lot that most Sox fans would prefer they never fired RR if it meant getting Hall of Famer Tony.

Well, when there's a 41 year gap, that can happen.

• Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic