Tony La Russa named Manager

YourWhatHurts

1 minute ago, southsideirish71 said:

Well I am glad to hear it.  We just hired Jimmy's grand father as the CEO of your new company.  He was friends with the owner.  Now back ten years ago he was a great leader.  I think he can be just as effective. Now a few things.  He has spoken up against any of the people of color protesting or acting as part of any social justice.  He says he wont discriminate against them however, he just was on TV saying that he is absolutely against it and people should be fired who do such things.  At a previous company a Mr Gant had filed a complaint against him.  Now even though you have this up and coming state of the art analytics department that other competitors have used to get ahead of the business.  He just demoted the VP of it and said he will use it for information but will use his gut to make business decisions. Business is about the gut and not about computers.   He is currently in contact with several of his former buddies to bring them out of retirement  to run the company.  

What TLR said wasn't controversial at the time, nor should it interfere with him professionally

TLR has spent his years away from managing...in the Front Office

Is he actually in contact with Duncan (I thought he wasn't a candidate) or any of his former players? I  would prefer a younger staff, especially BC

3 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

What TLR said wasn't controversial at the time, nor should it interfere with him professionally

Is he actually in contact with Duncan (I thought he wasn't a candidate) or any of his former players? I  would prefer a younger staff, especially BC

And how did that go?

5 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

He tried getting Duncan aboard.  Duncan declined due to health issues.  Otherwise he would your next pitching coach.  

10 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

I keep seeing this notion as well, why? TLR will manage and Hahn/KW will be the FO

I like FOs that stay out of managing, is that okay?

These two don’t even have a working relationship. This is a problem. 

Simple possible example. LaRussa leaves spring training next year deciding Crochet is going to be his 9th inning guy. Hahn says no, he wants to convert him into a starter, asks LaRussa to get him 120 innings. LaRussa says he’s the closer. Hahn says he’ll send him to the minors, LaRussa says he’s the closer. Who is going to win this debate? 

Rick Hahn is now an assistant GM to LaRussa. Hahn lost any debates today before they began, TLDR knows it, and he absolutely has shown he has the personality to make use of that even in his recent stop as GM.

20 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

I'll say it: While I don't love the hire, the outrage online is RIDICULOUS

At the minimum, this team just upgraded at manager

IF TLR surrounds himself with a good staff, I'll be ecstatic

Cora wasn't an option here (He'll be back in Boston) and Hinch was a product of an excellent FO

TLR will be competent at the minimum and that will, hopefully, be all we need

I think so. There could be a risk if he goes in heavy handed but he does know a lot of baseball and has seen just about everything good and bad about the players and the games within the game. But like you said, if he brings in a good pitching coach or two and a couple of good position and base coaches, It should be a lot better than under Renteria.

Just now, ChiSoxJon said:

Oh we hired TLR as GM? I misread

We stripped the GM of his power to name his own manager or even to conduct interviews for one. So basically, yeah. Hahn will run most of the day to day stuff there, but TLDR will have a veto since ownership already said he’s more valuable to them than Hahn.

• Like 1

Just now, Balta1701 said:

We stripped the GM of his power to name his own manager or even to conduct interviews for one. So basically, yeah. Hahn will run most of the day to day stuff there, but TLDR will have a veto since ownership already said he’s more valuable to them than Hahn.

Even if this is the case (which I think is being blown out of proportion), who is Rick Hahn? Mr. Executive of the Year is not the second coming as I think we've all seen for almost a decade now

4 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

And she's 100% correct in that clip. 

This. No possible way to spin it any other way, this hire is a complete joke. The only thing I can even kinda draw from it is Jerry doesn’t want to screw around and is gonna sign some free agents because he knows LaRussa is on a short window but who the hell knows anymore

• Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic