Tony La Russa named Manager

YourWhatHurts

15 minutes ago, Dallas Kong said:

Trolling doesn’t phase you? Guy, you’re on an anonymous internet message board. You’re not gonna get punched, you’re not going to get fired, and you’re not going to lose your place in mommy’s basement. Not over anything that occurs here. If anything here phases you, it’d be an even greater sign that you need counseling. You get zero credit for being unphased.

The reason I “disappeared” from our last conversation is the same I reason I made a joke about you here. You talk a lot about logic and reason but show little of it. You criticized the logic I used in making a purely subjective statement of my own beliefs, which doesn’t make any sense. Rather than making you some sort of Glorious Man of the Enlightenment, your talk about logic is just air.

Seriously, only a teenager could combine your level of pretension and idiocy into one small package. So have fun prepping for the SATs and wondering if you’ll get a handy after prom, little man. Adios.

Again, this shtick is so transparent.

You call it "pretentious" when I actually take your arguments/takes seriously after I've invalidated them and only after as a way of softening the blow to your ego.

Only a person who has lost an argument attacks the other person's acuity and then fires childish remarks at them after disappearing from said argument; I'm not the one who ran away. I don't need to make snarky remarks about "SATs" and call someone "little man" like a schoolyard child because I don't have that insecurity and I don't ever quit on a discussion unless I'm conceding a point.

You making these snippy remarks and attacks is only rationalized by a blow to the ego, there's literally no other reason to resort to that. A person always takes an argument seriously until they have lost, and then suddenly they have to puff their chest out, namecall and hurl childish remarks. Anyone smart can see right through it. Guess what? I never have to resort to that because I'm not insecure and I'm not afraid to be wrong like so many people are. That's why I pick and choose my arguments very carefully. I care very little about "opinions," but when I see something that's just plain incorrect I call someone on it.

tl;dr version: If you have to walk away from an argument silently without a counterpoint, clearly you don't have one and you lost that argument. Clear as day. If you can't answer a question then it's obvious you just don't have the answer.

Edited by RagahRagah

3 minutes ago, The Hawk said:

Love of country and respect for veterans should transcend politics. That is my opinion. 

Well you're entitled to your political opinions, it is supposedly a free country after all.

Edited by Vulture

4 minutes ago, The Hawk said:

Love of country and respect for veterans should transcend politics. That is my opinion. 

And others believe that protesting racial injustice should transcend politics as well. Which brings us back to the original point: forced patriotism at sporting events might not be the best idea

Edited by Jose Abreu
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Hawk said:

What constitutes that tends to be mere narrative for so many people. And so much crap people call "political" these days really isn't. What do you define as "love of country?" It doesn't have to mean standing up during a force anthem like a zombie just because it's implied that it's your "duty."

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Hawk said:

Patriotism is not politics the way I see it. Flyovers and standing for the national anthem are not political and do not reflect anything other than honoring our veterans and those who died and were wounded in defending out country. As for "knowing my type", leave this alone with me. I do not want to get into it with you on anything that has to do with politics.

I agree with you 100%. I think there should be police reform and I think it’s valid to protest on behalf of that, but expressing disdain for our country as a whole is a poor way to make that point. And I see there are a few internet hardasses here yapping about “faketriotism”- well, I fought in a war for that flag so fuck off with that shit. I don’t have anything to do with police brutality in America (other than thinking it shouldn’t exist) so how scorning what I hold sacred is supposed to be effective for me, I just don’t know. 

1 minute ago, Dallas Kong said:

I agree with you 100%. I think there should be police reform and I think it’s valid to protest on behalf of that, but expressing disdain for our country as a whole is a poor way to make that point. And I see there are a few internet hardasses here yapping about “faketriotism”- well, I fought in a war for that flag so fuck off with that shit. I don’t have anything to do with police brutality in America (other than thinking it shouldn’t exist) so how scorning what I hold sacred is supposed to be effective for me, I just don’t know. 

Genuinely, thank you for your service

You are appreciated more than you know

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"WE, WE, WE"......

I think it was in the Jason Benetti interview, though it could have been the press conference. LaRussa was asked about his accomplishments and he deflected to say they were all group accomplishments of the coaching staff and the team.

The point is, we're so focused on LaRussa, but the Sox' success is going to also depend a lot on all the other coaches, especially the pitching coach, the bench coach, the hitting coach, the bullpen coach, the third and first base coaches, the training staff, etc., etc. 

The Sox have cleared house enough to allow LaRussa to help shape those hires, and it would seem like a very attractive job for anyone wanting to learn from one of the most successful managers of all time, so the Sox should be able to attract top candidates. 

LaRussa has the most important job, but it's just one of many. We have to see what the group looks like. 

5 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Is this Forum always fighting? Or is there typically civil discussion?

Notice I don't do any of the name-calling around here. When someone has to call someone a "little man" it shows you how weak their arguing skills actually are. And then they only intensify that once you call them out for it. A person with strong comprehension skills doesn't need to enact such behavior. Period.

I never have a problem with civil discussion. Unfortunately any debate eventually has to have a closing point and once an ego is bruised that usually tends to be it.

Edited by RagahRagah

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

And others believe that protesting racial injustice should transcend politics as well. Which brings us back to the original point: forced patriotism at sporting events might not be the best idea

Where is this forced patriotism supposedly taking place? No fans are forced to stand for the national anthem or the pledge of allegiance. As for players kneeling, that is another issue and that is between the owners and the players and what is specified in their player's contracts. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, VAfan said:

"WE, WE, WE"......

I think it was in the Jason Benetti interview, though it could have been the press conference. LaRussa was asked about his accomplishments and he deflected to say they were all group accomplishments of the coaching staff and the team.

The point is, we're so focused on LaRussa, but the Sox' success is going to also depend a lot on all the other coaches, especially the pitching coach, the bench coach, the hitting coach, the bullpen coach, the third and first base coaches, the training staff, etc., etc. 

The Sox have cleared house enough to allow LaRussa to help shape those hires, and it would seem like a very attractive job for anyone wanting to learn from one of the most successful managers of all time, so the Sox should be able to attract top candidates. 

LaRussa has the most important job, but it's just one of many. We have to see what the group looks like. 

Agree entirely, IBM Watson could be the best manager in the game these days, it's more so about the philosphies of the staff I'm curious about

Everyone in baseball outside Robin Ventura, Ricky Renteria, and Kevin Cash momentarily can manage a ball club

5 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

What constitutes that tends to be mere narrative for so many people. And so much crap people call "political" these days really isn't. What do you define as "love of country?" It doesn't have to mean standing up during a force anthem like a zombie just because it's implied that it's your "duty."

Where are fans forced to stand for the national anthem? I haven't seen that happen anywhere in the United States  in any public gathering. DOn't make shit up please.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I preferred Bochy and Hinch,but TLR is gonna win a lot of games the next few years. He knows what he is doing. People will be very surprised with how well he does. 

The actual managing is but one of many potentially combustible elements.

The possible race issue, the arrogance, the inevitable decline due to his age, possible influence over the office, etc. are but some of these. I'm more worried about those.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, VAfan said:

Tony is not an idiot when it comes to baseball. What he's talking about is using his eyes, his experience, along with all the data he's aware of to analyze the situations within a game to make decisions.  And observation is how scientists arrive at a lot of the data that make up analytics. 

This is all amazing. Thank you for defining observation for all of us.

Unless Tony Larussa eyes are a literal fffing computer, he doesn't practice observational analytics.

Analytics is the systematic computational analysis of statistics/data. So unless Tony is robocop and I didnt know it, it's a made up word and complete nonsense basically claiming youre smarter than information and process images like a computer. 

Its something someone who has no idea what analyticts really is would say. But you already told us how analytically tony was so obviously hes fooled you.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

1 minute ago, RagahRagah said:

The actual managing is but one of many potentially combustible elements.

The possible race issue, the arrogance, the inevitable decline due to his age, possible influence over the office, etc. are but some of these. I'm more worried about those.

What is the race issue? TLR is old and Caucasian and likely conservative, but what is the issue there? I'm lost

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

Again, this shtick is so transparent.

You call it "pretentious" when I actually take your arguments/takes seriously after I've invalidated them and only after as a way of softening the blow to your ego.

Only a person who has lost an argument attacks the other person's acuity and then fires childish remarks at them after disappearing from said argument; I'm not the one who ran away. I don't need to make snarky remarks about "SATs" and call someone "little man" like a schoolyard child because I don't have that insecurity and I don't ever quit on a discussion unless I'm conceding a point.

You making these snippy remarks and attacks is only rationalized by a blow to the ego, there's literally no other reason to resort to that. A person always takes an argument seriously until they have lost, and then suddenly they have to puff their chest out, namecall and hurl childish remarks. Anyone smart can see right through it. Guess what? I never have to resort to that because I'm not insecure and I'm not afraid to be wrong like so many people are. That's why I pick and choose my arguments very carefully. I care very little about "opinions," but when I see something that's just plain incorrect I call someone on it.

tl;dr version: If you have to walk away from an argument silently without a counterpoint, clearly you don't have one and you lost that argument. Clear as day. If you can't answer a question then it's obvious you just don't have the answer.

Feel free to point out where you kicked my butt the other day. You said the Astros didn’t get punished enough, I said Hinch and Luhnow got suspended, you said that wasn’t enough, I said cheating was less meaningful to me in light of baseball’s steroid issue. You then started going on about how great your logic was compared to mine. I walked away because I got tired of talking to a rock.

Just now, The Hawk said:

Where are fans forced to stand for the national anthem? I haven't seen that happen anywhere in the United States  in any public gathering. DOn't make shit up please.

You misunderstand me. I'm not saying they are forced to, but that the perception/narrative from many is that you have to do it simply because it's your duty. You know just as well as I do that a lot of people are actually militant with this shit. Which makes it feel forced/unnatural. Obviously this mentality leads to doing a lot of things for the same reason. And I have never understood how people allow themselves to be manipulated that way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This is all amazing. Thank you for defining observation for all of us.

Unless Tony Larussa eyes are a literal fffing computer, he doesn't practice observational analytics.

Analytics is the systematic computational analysis of statistic. So unless Tony is robocop and I didnt know it, it's a made up word and complete nonsense basically claiming your smarter than information.

We can only hope.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dallas Kong said:

Feel free to point out where you kicked my butt the other day. You said the Astros didn’t get punished enough, I said Hinch and Luhnow got suspended, you said that wasn’t enough, I said cheating was less meaningful to me in light of baseball’s steroid issue. You then started going on about how great your logic was compared to mine. I walked away because I got tired of talking to a rock.

Again, transparent excuse.

When someone asks you questions and requests explanations, gets them and then totally ignores them and ignores the questions you pose to THEM... you can say whatever you want but you're not fooling me.

I wasn't presenting *my* logic, but just logic. Everyone who seems to have friction with me really loves their fallacies and are terribly unaware of how many they wrap their arguments around on a consistent basis.

• Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic