Tony La Russa named Manager

YourWhatHurts

2 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

He's known he was getting hired for a while now.  Hell, Lance Briggs has known he was getting hired for a while now.  The he just got hired stuff isn't a valid excuse.

Nonsense. It became official and public yesterday. Today is Day 2 for La Russa. The calls can start now.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

I was there with you yesterday saying it would work out, but it’s concerning to read and hear what the players are thinking 

I'm not saying they AREN'T with my comment, but they may also be reacting to the reaction now. And I think there is a knee jerk reaction about him just being a hardass that isn't accurate. There will be time for him to come to them, and I do think he will try to get them on his side.

14 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

You can't let the inmates run the asylum, so I am not too concerned no player has commented yet. Many of these guys were in HS or jr high when he last managed. I am trying to open my closed mind on this, but I will tell you , there will be complaints about his managing, and he will get into disputes with players. But most managers do. Hopefully he can keep the tally low. But Eloy is probably going to be told to button a couple more buttons and put his cap on straight. 

Nothing he could do as a manager would hurt me more than this.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, flavum said:

Nonsense. It became official and public yesterday. Today is Day 2 for La Russa. The calls can start now.

3 months from now

"Why would he need to contact these guys during the winter? They can handle themselves, he'll be seeing them in a couple weeks anyway". 

• Like 2

Just now, Balta1701 said:

3 months from now

"Why would he need to contact these guys during the winter? They can handle themselves, he'll be seeing them in a couple weeks anyway". 

Wait, which is it? He should have called players last week or he should wait until spring training now? Good lord. I said people should talk to each other and be open minded to start building a relationship, and that’s a bad thing somehow.

5 minutes ago, flavum said:

Didn't Hahn basically admit in the presser yesterday that they've known since last Saturday that this was gonna happen? That's plenty of time to reach out to at least a couple of guys on the team.

• Thanks 2

Just now, flavum said:

Wait, which is it? He should have called players last week or he should wait until spring training now? Good lord. I said people should talk to each other and be open minded to start building a relationship, and that’s a bad thing somehow.

I'm predicting the excuse we'll read here in February when it turns out that LaRussa hasn't talked to virtually any of them.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Roll your eyes all you want, but seriously, you're saying that it's reasonable under any circumstances to have expected Tony LaRussa to fire McGwire for having used steroids/admitting it publicly? Really? Tell me how on Earth that makes sense to you? LaRussa watched him "not want to talk about the past" before Congress and assumed that meant the shots he got in the locker room and the bottle labeled andro were all just vitamins, and was totally caught off guard when McGwire admitted it?

Not sure you understand what loyalty is. But sticking by someone when they are no longer benefitting you and are being pressured to fire them from both the org and outside is an example of loyalty yes. Not a hard concept either! 

Perception is the problem, and it was a major error for TLR and the front office by not reaching out the players before hand to get ahead of any perceived bias's or potential conflicts. It would have been digested a little bit better if the announcement came alongside with the endorsement of our core players. Now, they're playing defense and the players more then likely have already formulated the hiring as being negative and foolish. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, flavum said:

He should have spoken to Abreu and Anderson before he did a press conference. 

Again this exemplifies the problem with La Russa in the modern game. The players have the power now, not the other way around. In all sports. They are why people attend games, they make the money, theyre the ones selling tickets. No one is paying to see Tony La Russa but for chisox1917 and the Hawk.

Look at the great coaches in basketball and baseball - it is never ever about them. Vogel, Pop, Spoe, Tito, Bochy. The modern manager defers all credit, takes on all blame, and never holds players accountable publicly in an embarrassing way. This isn't 1980/1990 anymore. The job has changed and by not contacting a single player yet, tony is proving he has not.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

I'm predicting the excuse we'll read here in February when it turns out that LaRussa hasn't talked to virtually any of them.

Ok, I missed your point there. If La Russa doesn’t try to communicate with players immediately, it’s bad. If players don’t want to talk to him, it’s just as bad. Talk to each other, people!

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Not sure you understand what loyalty is. But sticking by someone when they are no longer benefitting you and are being pressured to fire them from both the org and outside is an example of loyalty yes. Not a hard concept either! 

No one was pressuring them to fire McGwire when he admitted it publicly. There might have been pressure to not hire him, but once that river was crossed, the admission didn't matter at all.

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Again this exemplifies the problem with La Russa in the modern game. The players have the power now, not the other way around. In all sports. They are why people attend games, they make the money, theyre the ones selling tickets. No one is paying to see Tony La Russa but for chisox1917 and the Hawk.

Look at the great coaches in basketball and baseball - it is never ever about them. Vogel, Pop, Spoe, Tito, Bochy. The modern manager defers all credit, takes on all blame, and never holds players accountable publicly in an embarrassing way. This isn't 1980/1990 anymore. 

Perfect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VAfan said:

If you changed his phrase to "observational analysis" it would be 100% correct. You are nitpicking over a word. Tony has always used data. He said yesterday that "information is king." 

Plus, as someone above wrote, if analytics were all there were to managing, IBM Watson should manage. It's not. Tony has more experience at managing a club, a season, a pitching staff, a series, and a game than anyone else out there, working or not. 

You also denigrate the power of the human mind. 

Now, there's no guarantee LaRussa is going to work out. But his track record should have earned him more respect than is being accorded him by you and a lot of others here. 

Tony LaRussa is no "idiot" and you demean yourself by calling him one. 

hey man, words matter. Analysis is not analytics. Those aren't the same thing. Im not nitpicking by using actual definition. I cant call you a moron and then say what I meant was something nice. 

Tony said yesterday that analytics were for before the game. Tony is a moron but I mean really smart when I say moron 

2 minutes ago, flavum said:

Ok, I missed your point there. If La Russa doesn’t try to communicate with players immediately, it’s bad. If players don’t want to talk to him, it’s just as bad. Talk to each other, people!

It’d be sweet if all the players banded together and push back against the hiring, something unprecedented. I think the players have more power than most think.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Look at the great coaches in basketball and baseball - it is never ever about them. Vogel, Pop, Spoe, Tito, Bochy. The modern manager defers all credit, takes on all blame, and never holds players accountable publicly in an embarrassing way. This isn't 1980/1990 anymore. The job has changed and by not contacting a single player yet, tony is proving he has not.

I don’t think Jerry cares about any of this. I literally think he just did this because he thought it would be cool for him to win a World Series with his friend. He’s is a slave to sentiment, it’s obnoxious. 

• Like 1

The hiring just seems sad and desperate like if the Bears decided to fire Nagy and hire Ditka. The organization is in phenomenal position to do great things, and the first moment they have on the national stage to hire any available Manager and make a statement....They make the same old statement of trying to outwit or hire from recycled parts within the organization. It's a buzzkill, and this team/organization can't afford anymore buzzkills. 

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

hey man, words matter. Analysis is not analytics. Those aren't the same thing. Im not nitpicking by using actual definition. I cant call you a moron and then say what I meant was something nice. 

Tony said yesterday that analytics were for before the game. Tony is a moron but I mean really smart when I say moron 

Idiot, moron. You throw these words around in a way that demeans you.

And then you complain about the horrible treatment your wife has received.

If you want a civil society that doesn't demean people, try creating one with your comments.

5 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

It’d be sweet if all the players banded together and push back against the hiring, something unprecedented. I think the players have more power than most think.

Would it?  Kind of seems like it would blow up the team and be a monumental disaster.  I swear I get the sense that some of you are rooting for that now, and more invested in your position on a managerial hiring than the Sox winning a World Series.  I'm not happy they hired TLR, but I'm rooting for everybody to bridge the divides that Reinsdorf unnecessarily created, get on the same page, shore up the roster and win a title.  I thought it went without saying that's what we all want, but starting to wonder.

• Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic