Jump to content
YourWhatHurts

Tony La Russa named Manager

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Orlando said:

La Russa as a one year manager with Hinch as bench coach “paying his dues” and replacing La Russa in ‘22. 
 

1. La Russa gets one last shot

2. Easier p.r. Sell to make Hinch “earn it”

3. Kind of a cool story to have a hall of Famer come out of retirement to lead a team to the promise land as the face while Hinch does the heavy lifting.

Hinch could also just get another job where he doesnt have a grandpa holding his hand and impeding his decisions for a year.  

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

But it seems like age bias to just ignore LaRussa and everything he did. The guy was elite at his craft through 3 decades - you don't do that by not adapting to change. I'm not saying Larussa is my guy, but I don't know that I'd go as far as saying he's an awful candidate.  He's won 3 world series and was part of leading one of the winningest organizations in baseball since he got there in the mid 90's (Cardinals).   Now if he's completely removed from the game of baseball - that is a whole nother thing.  I have no idea - but I don't see why you wouldn't have a conversation with him about the job and what he sees, thinks, etc.   

I am older than most here and I saw LaRussa manage the Sox for a few years. There was nothing that made him exceptional. Firing him was something you heard on the few sports talk shows and in newspapers at the time, all the time. I think his winning was more the product of his organization. Who wouldn't have won with the rosters he had? 

I wouldn't have much age bias if he were 65, but if you listen to interviews with him, he has certainly slowed down, and he is 76.  I was happy Hawk canned him. I think Fregosi was just as good, and when the team got good, I don't think LaRussa could have handled them any better than Torborg.

He has only been out of managing 1 more season than Ozzie, but I really think they have to go with a younger guy. Hinch's cheating is really a problem for me, but if he can overcome that, he certainly has to be more desirable than Tony. 

Who knows, maybe playing the LaRussa card was the only way KW and RH could convince JR to send Ricky away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

That sounds very data driven. 

Actually, I kind of agree with him there, but I will take it a step further. If you are at the point you have to ask a pitcher how they are feeling, it is time to take them out of of the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I am older than most here and I saw LaRussa manage the Sox for a few years. There was nothing that made him exceptional. Firing him was something you heard on the few sports talk shows and in newspapers at the time, all the time. I think his winning was more the product of his organization. Who wouldn't have won with the rosters he had? 

I wouldn't have much age bias if he were 65, but if you listen to interviews with him, he has certainly slowed down, and he is 76.  I was happy Hawk canned him. I think Fregosi was just as good, and when the team got good, I don't think LaRussa could have handled them any better than Torborg.

He has only been out of managing 1 more season than Ozzie, but I really think they have to go with a younger guy. Hinch's cheating is really a problem for me, but if he can overcome that, he certainly has to be more desirable than Tony. 

Who knows, maybe playing the LaRussa card was the only way KW and RH could convince JR to send Ricky away.

All of the above are valid points - like I said - i have no idea how much he has been following the game and the energy he has.  Pete Carrol is 69 and has more energy than most 45 year olds (for example).  My broader assumption is this is JR having a sanctioned and approved conversation with a trusted advisor.  I just think there could be far worse people the organization chats with as part of this process than a guy with 3 world series rings whose known as one of very best managers of all time.  

A lot of people want Bruce Bochy - but I don't know if Bochy is a huge data guy either (maybe he is and I just don't know it).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be fair, when Tony managed the Cardinals, I recall him doing some innovative stuff at the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So if thats the case whats next, Dave Duncan becomes the pitching coach then. 

 

Pack up the rapsodo's and the trackman and sell it on ebay then.  

Edited by southsideirish71

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, EloyJenkins said:

Bob sounds worse on radio then his tweets do. How does this guy still have a job? 

I don't really know why so many people bash Bob. He does have a lot of White Sox stuff. Who else has LaRussa stuff. And last winter, he was as accurate as any of the experts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

So if thats the case whats next, Dave Duncan becomes the pitching coach then. 

Is that why they sent Coop packing and no one else? This is scary. Hopefully, Tony tells these guys he's 76 years old and doesn't need this anymore, and remembers when Hawk fired him, no one though Hawk was an idiot to do so.

Edited by Dick Allen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Is that why they sent Coop packing and no one else? This is scary. Hopefully, Tony tells these guys he's 76 years old and doesn't need this anymore, and remembers when Hawk fired him, no one though Hawk was an idiot to do so.

This is from february of 2020.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/02/20/hall-of-famer-tony-la-russa-considered-returning-to-the-dugout-for-2020/

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

All of the above are valid points - like I said - i have no idea how much he has been following the game and the energy he has.  Pete Carrol is 69 and has more energy than most 45 year olds (for example).  My broader assumption is this is JR having a sanctioned and approved conversation with a trusted advisor.  I just think there could be far worse people the organization chats with as part of this process than a guy with 3 world series rings whose known as one of very best managers of all time.  

A lot of people want Bruce Bochy - but I don't know if Bochy is a huge data guy either (maybe he is and I just don't know it).  

Pete Carroll has also continuously been in his game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the other side of this from an age perpective.  This team is about to go on an extended run.  So hiring a 76 year old.  What is his longevity here.  Do we see him at 80 managing the team.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, fathom said:

To be fair, when Tony managed the Cardinals, I recall him doing some innovative stuff at the time.

He has always had guys play crazy additional positions. I don't think you would see Greg's dream and have TA catching, but you may see Moncada in RF or even Abreu. He had Mike Squires a lefty, GG quality 1B,  play 3B and C.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

So if thats the case whats next, Dave Duncan becomes the pitching coach then. 

 

Pack up the rapsodo's and the trackman and sell it on ebay then.  

Dave Duncan is already a consultant with the Sox. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I am older than most here and I saw LaRussa manage the Sox for a few years. There was nothing that made him exceptional. Firing him was something you heard on the few sports talk shows and in newspapers at the time, all the time. I think his winning was more the product of his organization. Who wouldn't have won with the rosters he had? 

I wouldn't have much age bias if he were 65, but if you listen to interviews with him, he has certainly slowed down, and he is 76.  I was happy Hawk canned him. I think Fregosi was just as good, and when the team got good, I don't think LaRussa could have handled them any better than Torborg.

He has only been out of managing 1 more season than Ozzie, but I really think they have to go with a younger guy. Hinch's cheating is really a problem for me, but if he can overcome that, he certainly has to be more desirable than Tony. 

Who knows, maybe playing the LaRussa card was the only way KW and RH could convince JR to send Ricky away.

I actually thought Jim Fregosi was a better manager than Tony LaRussa at the time.  
 

LaRussa was a rookie manager with the Sox and was always trying to prove himself as somewhat more cerebral a manager than the likes of Sparky Anderson, Earl Weaver, Billy Martin and the others during that era.  But he overdid it.  The next thing you know you had the left handed first baseman Mike Squires playing third base.  It was unbelievable!  He didn’t like to play the percentages back then but rather tried to show people he was smarter than that.  Needless to say, it didn’t work out during his stay with the Sox.
 

That’s why he got so criticized on the air by Harry Caray and Jimmy Piersall, and then Don Drysdale and the Hawk as these seasoned professionals watched him do these crazy things back then.  Luckily for LaRussa, and for reasons still unknown, Reinsdorf backed and supported him, which led to the exodus of Caray & Piersall, and eventually Hawk.   

Edited by Thad Bosley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was trying to talk myself into being ok with this until I read his thoughts on data and analytics in that article.  God help us if Jerry gets his way.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, flavum said:

Clever way to get people on the AJ Hinch bandwagon. 

It really is, if that’s their intention

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Sockin said:

If Hahn is strong armed into hiring La Russa he may as well quit. 

I mean, I can definitely doubt it since they've fired him before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, fathom said:

Bernstein melting down about possibility of Tony, so he reached out to some people:

https://mobile.twitter.com/dan_bernstein/status/1316439969410551808

Bernstein was also real quick to talk on Monday about how La Russa seemed to be losing it a bit his last season with the Cards.  Which was 9 years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×