Tony La Russa named Manager

YourWhatHurts

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

There is validity to what hes saying here. A good manager will use analytics, but not solely rely on them. Might as well just hire a computer that can run an algorithm before every pitch if you want a manager that solely uses analytics for every decision.

Edited by ChiSox1917

38 minutes ago, ChiSox1917 said:

There is validity to what hes saying here. A good manager will use analytics, but not solely rely on them. Might as well just hire a computer that can run an algorithm before every pitch if you want a manager that solely uses analytics for every decision.

I’d take a droid manager over Ricky.  LaRussa here didn’t really say he’d the the analytics into account.  Just gave a blanket statement that there’s too much analytics and not enough quantifying the analytics of what’s in a guys noggin, his heart, and most importantly in his guts. 

Had a little “only I have the secret and power to win the correct way” feeling to his words.  And that he can win more games with any team doing it his correct way.  Ease back on the ego trip a little bit there Tony.  

Seems like the game has passed him by.  I wouldn’t mind him managing another team and eating my popcorn watching how that shit goes. 

• Like 2

Hawk and TLR share that idea of TWTW trait a little too much....it couldn’t be because they are both past their times could it....shocker right there. If you are in the hawk, TLR and Dusty Baker let’s manage straight from the gut instinct it’s a hard pass for me with anyone with that mentality at that age. You have to have a good understanding of advanced stats and have that gut feeling from time to time. I feel like some of these stats for these older managers is the equivalent to teaching your grandparents how to use a computer or smartphone. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, jamesdiego said:

Had a little “only I have the secret and power to win the correct way” feeling to his words.  And that he can win more games with any team doing it his correct way.  Ease back on the ego trip a little bit there Tony.  

Well he is the third winningest manager of all time...

2 hours ago, ChiSox1917 said:

Well he is the third winningest manager of all time...

He’s also the second in all time losses.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/managers/

Jerry Reinsdorf is literally the only human being on Earth who believes Tony LaRussa’s coaching days are not over.

Give me Norman Dale, please.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I read an article about AJ Hinch being drafted by the White Sox. He wanted to sign but his parents wanted him to go to Stanford. They all thought the $150k the White Sox were offering was too low. So he takes the Stanford scholarship. The White Sox then claim his college eligibility should be revoked because he used an agent. Hinch claims a “family friend” faxed the White Sox a counter offer without authorization. First off, petty of the White Sox to try and wreck an 18 year olds college career. Second, How would a family friend without authorization get the fax number  to send a counter offer? Turns out going to college was good for him, and the Sox saved money simce Hinch was not a guy who was ever going to help them on the field.

19 hours ago, Sockin said:

Bernstein this morning focused on this article by Passan in 2016 on La Russa. Say what you will about Bernstein but this does hold weight with someone like Tim on the team and Giolito who is outspoken on his politics. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/the-hypocrisy-of-tony-la-russa-and-the-understandable-fears-of-black-baseball-players-045857175.html

Interesting how there were few comments about this. With how involved the players are with the FO, I wouldn’t think TLR is very popular with the team’s culture. Bernstein had some good points and a nice rant on his show about things TLR said over the last decade about analytics, being pro-flag and against Kaepernick’s protests.

Tony is a smart guy who knows how to make out the lineup card.  He has a grating personality that will get on this board's collective nerves.  He thinks he's the smartest guy in the room and it shows.  His age doesn't bother me as much as his personality.

• Like 1

I didn't watch much of the Astros when Hinch was there, but can anyone speak to how those teams were from a fundamental standpoint? Things like defense, baserunning, etc? I know that there were times this season where stuff like executing a rundown or taking an extra base felt like real challenges and that's the type of stuff that really needs to be second nature. Just curious as to how Hinch prepares his guys in the event that he is the hire.

Edited by oneofthemikes

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I read an article about AJ Hinch being drafted by the White Sox. He wanted to sign but his parents wanted him to go to Stanford. They all thought the $150k the White Sox were offering was too low. So he takes the Stanford scholarship. The White Sox then claim his college eligibility should be revoked because he used an agent. Hinch claims a “family friend” faxed the White Sox a counter offer without authorization. First off, petty of the White Sox to try and wreck an 18 year olds college career. Second, How would a family friend without authorization get the fax number  to send a counter offer? Turns out going to college was good for him, and the Sox saved money simce Hinch was not a guy who was ever going to help them on the field.

The way it is now (not sure if it was then) if the team doesn't report that he sent an offer and used an agent and the league found out, the Sox would be penalized. 

Agree with you it feels petty and sounds like they should have let it go, but possible that they just reported it to protect their own ass.

4 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The way it is now (not sure if it was then) if the team doesn't report that he sent an offer and used an agent and the league found out, the Sox would be penalized. 

Agree with you it feels petty and sounds like they should have let it go, but possible that they just reported it to protect their own ass.

I'm old enough to remember this.  There were definitely hard feelings.  The Sox reporting of the agent was unusual at the time.  I believe Hinch didn't sign the paper allowing them to redraft him out of Stanford.  That's why I was surprised he seemed to be the leading candidate.  Then I read the report that Hahn worked for his agent at the time, Jeff Moorad.  Apparently, this is long-forgotten by both sides now, but at the time it was quite heated.

6 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I read the same thing and thought it was interesting. I found it just as interesting that they had a quote from a 23 year old Hinch (after it happened) who took the high road and literally said maybe one day he'd be back in the organization.  

53 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

I'm old enough to remember this.  There were definitely hard feelings.  The Sox reporting of the agent was unusual at the time.  I believe Hinch didn't sign the paper allowing them to redraft him out of Stanford.  That's why I was surprised he seemed to be the leading candidate.  Then I read the report that Hahn worked for his agent at the time, Jeff Moorad.  Apparently, this is long-forgotten by both sides now, but at the time it was quite heated.

Good info, thanks.

13 minutes ago, fathom said:

He said today it’s Tony’s job for sure if he wants it, and he thinks he does

Ok, must have been on the radio because I didn’t see any new tweets. Anyways, he can think that but there are other people refuting it so I guess we’ll see happens.

Edited by maloney.adam

• Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic