Jump to content
YourWhatHurts

Tony La Russa named Manager

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Sockin said:

Its because the belief that he is being hired based solely because he’s Jerry’s buddy and hasn’t the managed a modern team. It goes against everything the Hahn went out and said when they let go of Renteria. It’s Jerry dictating the team and it’s revolting. 

It's also because things change (the game itself has changed greatly) and TLR is a dinosaur. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sockin said:

Have to imagine this is him speculating. Can’t see the Sox announcing this without doing due diligence on Hinch, Cora or any coaches they were not able to interview due to the postseason. 

Why lance Briggs though..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I listed out reasons a while ago where I think TLR would work and be fine. I really don't want to overrate manager. THere are some peculiar leaks on the decisionmaking I think are bad, and I think jr's tendency in running bulls and sox to have multiple power centers (strong GM, Managers, Presidents moving in separate directions rather than a top down approach that has worked in ...every other org) is a concern here. But it's not a guarantee that LaRussa means he expects to be the same "superstar" manager of old. He may like the idea of being just in charge of game day decisions with help from scouting staff, but not getting in the way of Player Dev and roster. If that's the case, then fine, it could be great, but it's likely just to be normal and we don't have to worry.

Truly believe that you can either have a bad manager or a manager. Francona only one that I think is truly a step above.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Ugh.

Then again, Tony just might be drunk once again?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bmags said:

I listed out reasons a while ago where I think TLR would work and be fine. I really don't want to overrate manager...

[]

Truly believe that you can either have a bad manager or a manager. Francona only one that I think is truly a step above.

That's close to where I am.  TLR is not at the top of my list, but I thought we might get stuck with another season of Ricky.  (Almost) anyone on my list is a step up from where I was a few weeks ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m beyond the “this is a smokescreen” phase. I’m beyond the “Hahn operates in stealth mode “ phase.

if Tony is already recruiting a staff, he’s getting the job. There is no way Jerry is stringing along his 76 year old hall of Famer friend to not give him the job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Orlando said:

I’m beyond the “this is a smokescreen” phase. I’m beyond the “Hahn operates in stealth mode “ phase.

if Tony is already recruiting a staff, he’s getting the job. There is no way Jerry is stringing along his 76 year old hall of Famer friend to not give him the job.

Also confirms Tony (and his family) wants the job, which wasn’t always a sure thing 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I crazy that I would have rather just stuck with Ricky than hire LaRussa? This is just madness by JR. Sorta kinda took a couple steps forward last off season with player acquisition... and now this off season we’re going to run backwards with an actual living dinosaur as coach 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TheFutureIsNear said:

Am I crazy that I would have rather just stuck with Ricky than hire LaRussa? This is just madness by JR. Sorta kinda took a couple steps forward last off season with player acquisition... and now this off season we’re going to run backwards with an actual living dinosaur as coach 

Nah, Ricky proved he has no winning instincts down the stretch. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, YoYoIsMyHero said:

This.... doesn't sound like the manager position? But its Bruce so who knows. 

It’s for manager, and I’m sure they would want to announce a super strong staff when he’s fired to try and slow the meltdown

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

 

Omg now I can breathe. Not Steve Cishek says they are going to spend. He has an amazing track record so this was all I needed to love the La Russa news.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok y'all.

If La Russa comes with a big ass a pocketbook, does that make it easier to swallow?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Am I crazy that I would have rather just stuck with Ricky than hire LaRussa? This is just madness by JR. Sorta kinda took a couple steps forward last off season with player acquisition... and now this off season we’re going to run backwards with an actual living dinosaur as coach 

With TLR there's a *risk* he'll be a poor manager because he's a dinosaur - despite having managed his way to three titles.  With Ricky it's a certainty that he was a poor manager.  With zero titles.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

That's close to where I am.  TLR is not at the top of my list, but I thought we might get stuck with another season of Ricky.  (Almost) anyone on my list is a step up from where I was a few weeks ago.

I'd rather have Ricky.  At least we know he can relate to minority players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TheFutureIsNear said:

Am I crazy that I would have rather just stuck with Ricky than hire LaRussa? This is just madness by JR. Sorta kinda took a couple steps forward last off season with player acquisition... and now this off season we’re going to run backwards with an actual living dinosaur as coach 

You are not crazy.  I would have rather kept RR and I think he is a terrible in-game manager.  UGH.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Orlando said:

Omg now I can breathe. Not Steve Cishek says they are going to spend. He has an amazing track record so this was all I needed to love the La Russa news.

Tbh, I'm assuming NSC is just reading Harold's posts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, maloney.adam said:

 

Haha not Steve is once again backtracking and trying to read the tea leaves to “prove” he is an “insider.” While he does get some inside info he takes speculation and says it’s fact and hopes to be right a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Quin said:

Ok y'all.

If La Russa comes with a big ass a pocketbook, does that make it easier to swallow?

Absolutely yes. Sox aren’t far away from having enough talent to where a manager wouldn’t even matter.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×