Jump to content
YourWhatHurts

Tony La Russa named Manager

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

didn't quite nail the clip, more like starts at 3:05

One of the greatest players of all time doing occasionally isn't exactly a 1:1 comparison. I was also legit asking, I suspect he doesn't love them but I don't know that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kalapse said:

One of the greatest players of all time doing occasionally isn't exactly a 1:1 comparison. I was also legit asking, I suspect he doesn't love them but I don't know that.

Pujols did it quite a bit honestly. There are certainly more now. I think TLR will let his guys do it, more worried about him retaliating to be honest. You go through that clip (i kept watching) and it's quite a lot of oakland As (henderson) and cardinals (pujols). They've certainly accelerated since that Blue Jays/Rangers series but it's not like Tim does it every time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Rickey Henderson had some nice bat flips.He hated LaRussa, and I think LaRussa hated him, but he put him in the line up and Rickey was pretty great.

I know it's not a pre-requisite for winning but I'd prefer my manager get along with the players. Yes, Billy Martin. I do not care. There's zero reason to bring any friction into the clubhouse beyond a manager with a firmer hand than Ricky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bmags said:

Pujols did it quite a bit honestly. There are certainly more now. I think TLR will let his guys do it, more worried about him retaliating to be honest. You go through that clip (i kept watching) and it's quite a lot of oakland As (henderson) and cardinals (pujols). They've certainly accelerated since that Blue Jays/Rangers series but it's not like Tim does it every time.

Yes, this is what I'm getting at. Ricky allowed his guys to do it then threw at Contreras, what's TLR going to do in those situations? I have a think I know what Hinch would do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kalapse said:

Yes, this is what I'm getting at. Ricky allowed his guys to do it then threw at Contreras, what's TLR going to do in those situations? I have a think I know what Hinch would do.

Hinch would order it and then deny it afterwards and say he tried to stop it

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, fathom said:

Hinch would order it and then deny it afterwards and say he tried to stop it

No shit, I don't love him either but I'm getting a lot more comfortable with Hinch the closer we get to a TLR signing. If this was the purpose of involving LaRussa's name in this then it worked.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, bmags said:

tooollllddd yaaaaa (that said, I disagree, Bauer's gonna go whomever "respects" him most with the deal)

Bernie is such a nice guy, but for a national baseball writer he really has no sources and his takes are usually pretty hot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Kalapse said:

I know it's not a pre-requisite for winning but I'd prefer my manager get along with the players. Yes, Billy Martin. I do not care. There's zero reason to bring any friction into the clubhouse beyond a manager with a firmer hand than Ricky.

This is what worries me. I don't think it's Billy Martin level, but his teams had drama. JR seems to think conflict is good on teams since he's always had it. (This guy is a whiner but lined up with some of what I remember):

https://redbirdrants.com/2011/01/01/the-tony-larussa-problem/

"

CATFIGHTS AND CLIQUES

A baseball team should be like a fraternity. The guys on that team should be like brothers, a close-knit group that sticks together through individual and team-related troubles. They should cheer for each other, weep with each other, party together, and support one another.

 

However, LaRussa’s teams almost always resemble a sorority; gossipy, cliquish, divided, tense, jealous, and uncomfortable. This is almost entirely LaRussa’s fault, as his personality and tendency toward favoritism cultivates this type of atmosphere. The number of players emotionally and professionally mutilated or destroyed by a LaRussa clubhouse is disturbing. The fight list seems endless: Ozzie Smith (who has avoided the franchise because of LaRussa), J.D. Drew, Anthony Reyes, Scott Rolen, Jim Edmonds … these big stars just couldn’t seem to get along with the man.

But 2010 was LaRussa’s masterwork of destructive emotional debris. In one short season he managed to fight with Ryan Ludwick (who was then shipped off), Brendan Ryan, and Colby Rasmus. The Rasmus situation was most telling about the atmosphere of a LaRussa clubhouse. During the September revelations of a rift between LaRussa and Rasmus, it was revealed that Pujols took the young man aside to talk to him, and that it was the first time the two had really talked in the year and a half that Colby had been on the team. HUH? The only logical explanation is that Pujols, playing favorites, sided with his manager’s dislike of Rasmus and his pedigree and ignored the kid. No major league clubhouse that expects to win can have a heavy atmosphere of resentment and mistrust.

We can see LaRussa’s withholding of emotion in the day to day efforts of the team. Striving to be cooly professional all the time, the team generally lacks fire when it counts. This leads to limp playoff appearances, where the team settles into a chilled and tense mode that stifles any spirit. The best example of this came in the ninth inning of the 2005 playoffs when Pujols hit that monster three run homer off of Brad Lidge. When Pujols arrived at the plate, there was nary a celebration among the Cardinals players; they just clapped and moved on. No truly successful team has such a complete lack of fire and enthusiasm with the game on the line. This lack of emotional center comes directly from LaRussa."

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Analytics are great for big picture stuff.  That is what they are.  Numbers that play out over a large sample size.  Trying to boil that down to make it work in a one game situation is a misuse of the data.

isn't the point of macro-analysis to help make micro-decisions? I agree that part of a managers decision is personal, human, and in-the-moment related but it can't be void of macro thought. 

Just because you can't quantify something, does not mean it doesn't exist. It's the managers job to read that extra percent to make the best decision. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, bmags said:

This is what worries me. I don't think it's Billy Martin level, but his teams had drama. JR seems to think conflict is good on teams since he's always had it. (This guy is a whiner but lined up with some of what I remember):

https://redbirdrants.com/2011/01/01/the-tony-larussa-problem/

"

CATFIGHTS AND CLIQUES

A baseball team should be like a fraternity. The guys on that team should be like brothers, a close-knit group that sticks together through individual and team-related troubles. They should cheer for each other, weep with each other, party together, and support one another.

 

However, LaRussa’s teams almost always resemble a sorority; gossipy, cliquish, divided, tense, jealous, and uncomfortable. This is almost entirely LaRussa’s fault, as his personality and tendency toward favoritism cultivates this type of atmosphere. The number of players emotionally and professionally mutilated or destroyed by a LaRussa clubhouse is disturbing. The fight list seems endless: Ozzie Smith (who has avoided the franchise because of LaRussa), J.D. Drew, Anthony Reyes, Scott Rolen, Jim Edmonds … these big stars just couldn’t seem to get along with the man.

But 2010 was LaRussa’s masterwork of destructive emotional debris. In one short season he managed to fight with Ryan Ludwick (who was then shipped off), Brendan Ryan, and Colby Rasmus. The Rasmus situation was most telling about the atmosphere of a LaRussa clubhouse. During the September revelations of a rift between LaRussa and Rasmus, it was revealed that Pujols took the young man aside to talk to him, and that it was the first time the two had really talked in the year and a half that Colby had been on the team. HUH? The only logical explanation is that Pujols, playing favorites, sided with his manager’s dislike of Rasmus and his pedigree and ignored the kid. No major league clubhouse that expects to win can have a heavy atmosphere of resentment and mistrust.

We can see LaRussa’s withholding of emotion in the day to day efforts of the team. Striving to be cooly professional all the time, the team generally lacks fire when it counts. This leads to limp playoff appearances, where the team settles into a chilled and tense mode that stifles any spirit. The best example of this came in the ninth inning of the 2005 playoffs when Pujols hit that monster three run homer off of Brad Lidge. When Pujols arrived at the plate, there was nary a celebration among the Cardinals players; they just clapped and moved on. No truly successful team has such a complete lack of fire and enthusiasm with the game on the line. This lack of emotional center comes directly from LaRussa."

For all who don't know this story:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/941717-ozzie-smith-tony-la-russa-lied-and-acted-like-a-coward

"It wasn't so much about my playing time as the way it was done. I was under the impression I was going to have every opportunity to do what I do. I was told that the position would be earned in spring training. And I thought I did that. I did everything that was asked of me"

The manager who led the Oakland A's to the 1989 World Championship responded.

"This was the most disappointing thing in my career in St. Louis," said La Russa: "Twice to his face I told him that the other guy was a better shortstop on an everyday basis. All he's got to do is look in the mirror. And he can go out with honor and dignity rather than some kind of attempt at camouflage."

I want to emphasize how distasteful and absurd LaRussa's comments were in response, but it reminds me so much of an immature young Kenny Williams response.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

For all who don't know this story:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/941717-ozzie-smith-tony-la-russa-lied-and-acted-like-a-coward

"It wasn't so much about my playing time as the way it was done. I was under the impression I was going to have every opportunity to do what I do. I was told that the position would be earned in spring training. And I thought I did that. I did everything that was asked of me"

The manager who led the Oakland A's to the 1989 World Championship responded.

"This was the most disappointing thing in my career in St. Louis," said La Russa: "Twice to his face I told him that the other guy was a better shortstop on an everyday basis. All he's got to do is look in the mirror. And he can go out with honor and dignity rather than some kind of attempt at camouflage."

I want to emphasize how distasteful and absurd LaRussa's comments were in response, but it reminds me so much of an immature young Kenny Williams response.

Lol do you remember who beat out Ozzie Smith?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

It’s the 5 o’clock hour and still no leaks that indicate that TLR will be named the manager today per LB’s tweet...lol

They haven't been allowed to interview Hinch until today so I doubt they would hire without at least meeting him (Hahn's preferred option).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Leonard Zelig said:

Were teams allowed to talk to Hinch before the World Series ended?

No. At least not officially 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, maloney.adam said:

Every hour that ticks down towards the end of the day with no leaks or announcements about TLR being named as manager has me wondering about LB’s tweet.

Say anything you want about RH...he runs a tight-lipped FO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What’s the latest for someone like me who hasn’t been on the board all day?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hi8is said:

What’s the latest for someone like me who hasn’t been on the board all day?

A whole lot of people of variable quality are hearing from people in Saint Louis and Chicago that TLDR is very likely to become the White Sox's next manager. Somehow Lance Briggs seems to have been the one who started it. Nothing is official, but it seems fairly likely/a foregone conclusion at this point unless TLDR changes his mind. Rumor that Dave Duncan (pitching coach) will not be coming along.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Say anything you want about RH...he runs a tight-lipped FO.

:lolhitting 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, hi8is said:

What’s the latest for someone like me who hasn’t been on the board all day?

Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

A whole lot of people of variable quality are hearing from people in Saint Louis and Chicago that TLDR is very likely to become the White Sox's next manager. Somehow Lance Briggs seems to have been the one who started it. Nothing is official, but it seems fairly likely/a foregone conclusion at this point unless TLDR changes his mind. Rumor that Dave Duncan (pitching coach) will not be coming along.

Damn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×