Tony La Russa named Manager

YourWhatHurts

4 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Or the White Sox literally said - we aren't going to put Hinch/Cora on our list.  I don't get why it is so unfathomable that such was the case, despite all the various media reports anyway. I mean - people are just overreacting like crazy. Lets take a second and here TLR speak and RH speak, etc.  Lets see how this plays out.

Again - It isn't the move I would have made, but I've said all along, I wouldn't have hired Hinch or Cora either - I don't want those guys.  What they did is flat out different than the steroid era. I see a bunch of absurd hot takes in here and I think a lot of people are going to be wrong on this. If they are right - well than KW, RH, and JR didn't ask TLR the right questions to begin with as part of the interview process. I have to think these highly qualified people would have at least done that and I have to imagine KW / RH have their own direct views as well. 

What are the absurd hot takes

Just now, almagest said:

Not as the #3 but if he's the 5th starter I'm ok with it. Maybe he can help reintroduce the curveball to the franchise.

I wouldn't have an issue with him as our 5 either but that's why I specifically said 3.  Like, we can cross Stroman off the list already so it's down to Bauer or ??????? Obviously we can trade for someone but we'll see.

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

There are a lot of things to worry about, but my god the thought of La Russa getting say on personnel decisions is a fucking nightmare.  Sorry to be cold, but Jerry Reinsdorf can’t die soon enough.

Tony LaRussa is absolutely going to have the final say on personnel decisions. The former GM/now assistant GM opposed this move and it was driven by others - so if LaRussa and Assistant GM Hahn have a disagreement on a player's use or on an acquisition, it's already clear that the owner will come down on LaRussa's side. 

Assistant GM Hahn might make 95% of the moves, but he's already lost any power struggles. 

• Like 1

I'll conclude by saying "Don't worry; be happy." If you live in Chicago you usually get our weather a day later so look forward to tomorrow, not a cloud in the sky, light breeze, fall colors abounding and TONY LARUSSA is your new manager. He's not going to fail, folks. Have a glass of wine, beer or a shot of bourbon. GO away COVID, we have some baseball to enjoy with Tony at the helm.

I'll stop now and go enjoy this beautiful day and stop posting my happiness about this matter. At least toast me if you have a drink tonight, cause I'm one of the few Sox fans that are elated.

Bye!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, CanOfCorn said:

I hope every single person in Detroit thanks Reinsdorf for this.

Assuming Cora goes back to the Red Sox, then the Tiggers are going to get Hinch.  *sigh*

Maybe Cora could be the manager in waiting. He worked w LaRussa 2 years ago.  If the Red Sox pass and Tigers grab Hinch maybe this would work. He certainly got along w his players and has the spanish connection. Has won a World Series and is up on analytics.  

2 minutes ago, flavum said:

To use a Rick Hahn word... “Ultimately”, this team may still win 90-95 games a year, Tony does a decent job, and we see a championship sometime in the next few years. It’s just a bizarre hiring today. 

My only hope now is Jerry actually spends money this off-season. However, say goodbye to signing anyone like Bauer or Stroman. Those guys aren't going to play for a manager who will actively try to suppress their ability to express themselves. 

2 minutes ago, chw42 said:

My only hope now is Jerry actually spends money this off-season. However, say goodbye to signing anyone like Bauer or Stroman. Those guys aren't going to play for a manager who will actively try to suppress their ability to express themselves. 

I wouldn’t count on them spending money this offseason. JR is going to spin it like they threw all this big money to the top free agents but they didn’t want to take it. 

Edited by maloney.adam

10 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Or the White Sox literally said - we aren't going to put Hinch/Cora on our list.  I don't get why it is so unfathomable that such was the case, despite all the various media reports anyway. I mean - people are just overreacting like crazy. Lets take a second and here TLR speak and RH speak, etc.  Lets see how this plays out.

Again - It isn't the move I would have made, but I've said all along, I wouldn't have hired Hinch or Cora either - I don't want those guys.  What they did is flat out different than the steroid era. I see a bunch of absurd hot takes in here and I think a lot of people are going to be wrong on this. If they are right - well than KW, RH, and JR didn't ask TLR the right questions to begin with as part of the interview process. I have to think these highly qualified people would have at least done that and I have to imagine KW / RH have their own direct views as well. 

Frankly, bullcrap. MLB repeatedly sent out memos saying "steroids are not allowed in this game", going as far back as the early 1990s, I believe under commissioner Fay Vincent it was so long ago. MLB sent out a memo saying the same thing about video recording. LaRussa ignored those memos, those rules, and frankly federal law in some cases, for what, 20 years? McGwire felt it totally ok to have a bottle of andro sitting openly in his locker in 1998 during the home run chase. 

There are zero ways to justify the bolded, unless the next clause is "the steroid era was far worse". The steroid era was open defiance of MLB rules, and in many cases even of federal controlled substance regulations. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

I wouldn’t count on them spending money this offseason. JR is going to spin it like they threw all this big money to the top free agents but they didn’t want to take it. 

Or that he spent all the money signing a hall of fame manager. 

11 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Look, the Sox know the questions about race and LaRussa are coming immediately.  They are ready.  They weren’t gonna jeopardize this whole rebuild like that.  They will be prepared.  I’m ready to hear them out.  Until then, I’m not judging this move. 

I wouldn’t be surprised to seee a Tony apology that says “Look I get it now and I’m sorry for what I’ve said.  Anybody on this team, I got their back, they do what they need to regarding the anthem and social issues.  Again I’m sorry but so get it now.”

Are we just going to assume that an owner who has been an industry leader in promoting diversity, a team that has had an african american as the in facto and de facto organizational decision maker for 20 years and a team that has had a minority field manager for 18 of the last 22 years has abandoned this long term commitment 

• Like 1

The other White Sox fan in the office (which is unique, because I live/work on the other side of the country) announced this move a few years ago. My loud reaction to the entire office was a loud, "What the fuck".

So I'm not a huge fan. I wanted Hinch.

But I'll give it a chance. His game management will be loads better than Renteria's, and while he's a dinosaur, he's a smart baseball mind so I can't imagine he'll reject analytics out of hand. And like others have said, he managed Ricky so Timmy shouldn't be an issue.

14 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

That’s...a really weird rule of thumb.  Also, make sure you don’t say that if you’re ever deposed in an age discrimination case.

It's not weird at all. 

I don't have a lot of 75 year olds looking to join my analytics department; I think I'll be OK.

Just now, Superstar Lamar said:

Are we just going to assume that an owner who has been an industry leader in promoting diversity, a team that has had an african american as the in facto and de facto organizational decision maker for 20 years and a team that has had a minority field manager for 18 of the last 22 years has abandoned this long term commitment 

There's no assumption about it. 

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Tony LaRussa is absolutely going to have the final say on personnel decisions. The former GM/now assistant GM opposed this move and it was driven by others - so if LaRussa and Assistant GM Hahn have a disagreement on a player's use or on an acquisition, it's already clear that the owner will come down on LaRussa's side. 

Assistant GM Hahn might make 95% of the moves, but he's already lost any power struggles. 

The Assistant GM Hahn is going to be the GM of the Cubs this time next year

8 minutes ago, South Sider said:

I'd hate to be a ticket rep right now. 

I can't wait to send the one that keeps emailing me about 10/20 game packages a return email. It'll just be the link about black players & La Russa's history

• Like 1

• Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic