2020 NBA Offseason Thread

NBA off-season is going to be insane. I think you have the 18th, free agency starts on the 20th, players can sign on the 22nd, and than training camp begins on the 1st of December.  That is going to be a crazy 2 weeks. I also think I heard - but never saw it official, that teams can maybe start making trades around the 16th (plus any player who wants to opt out I believe needs to do it by the 18th - so people have a better idea of those items heading into draft / free agency).  

Meanwhile - no one has any tangible intelligence on the Bulls.  They are very tight lipped with minimal reports out there, but only stuff I've seen is maybe they are very interested in Ball and dangling Carter Jr. to trade up.  But with how tight lipped everything is, who knows.

Maybe they are actually working on a mega trade to get Harden from Houston haha.  

16 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Meanwhile - no one has any tangible intelligence on the Bulls.  They are very tight lipped with minimal reports out there, but only stuff I've seen is maybe they are very interested in Ball and dangling Carter Jr. to trade up.  But with how tight lipped everything is, who knows.

Maybe they are actually working on a mega trade to get Harden from Houston haha.  

Every draft pick has been tied to the bulls, every trade has been tied to the bulls.

In terms of drafts I have found that in football and baseball "online fan favorites" have often turned out pretty good. In nba drafts though...less so. I have a hard time believing in any of the strong opinions on this draft, even in terms of fit, I could see rationale for any of the top 10-15 guys. I like the concept of Deni - but his FT % terrifies me. I like a playmaker/length of ball. I think wiseman would be a good nba starter. Edwards looks the part, wouldn't be my favorite, but can see it. Toppin is limited, but also I could see being the guy that figures out how to over perform based on weakness. Conceptually - Killian Hayes sounds good. Halliburton people hate, but again, could see him being that overperformer in college that does same in pros. The FlaSt guy I like a lot.

I really believed in Luka, luka was good. I thought Young would be good, he was good.

I also thought Dennis smith would be awesome, he was maybe the worst of the top ten picks that year. I thought Porter Jr was too risky and soft, he looks pretty damn good. All drafts are crap shoots, but, I'm pretty much gonna be happy with whomever they draft and tapping out on acting like I could know if a player will be good.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Every draft pick has been tied to the bulls, every trade has been tied to the bulls.

In terms of drafts I have found that in football and baseball "online fan favorites" have often turned out pretty good. In nba drafts though...less so. I have a hard time believing in any of the strong opinions on this draft, even in terms of fit, I could see rationale for any of the top 10-15 guys. I like the concept of Deni - but his FT % terrifies me. I like a playmaker/length of ball. I think wiseman would be a good nba starter. Edwards looks the part, wouldn't be my favorite, but can see it. Toppin is limited, but also I could see being the guy that figures out how to over perform based on weakness. Conceptually - Killian Hayes sounds good. Halliburton people hate, but again, could see him being that overperformer in college that does same in pros. The FlaSt guy I like a lot.

I really believed in Luka, luka was good. I thought Young would be good, he was good.

I also thought Dennis smith would be awesome, he was maybe the worst of the top ten picks that year. I thought Porter Jr was too risky and soft, he looks pretty damn good. All drafts are crap shoots, but, I'm pretty much gonna be happy with whomever they draft and tapping out on acting like I could know if a player will be good.

Yeah - and I agree with you - this years draft is even more of a crapshoot, given fact guys just have a lot less tape so you are really relying on your scouting and measurements and to be frank probably interviews and intelligence on individuals work ethic and character (i.e., do they have Jimmy Bucket type of will to win/drive to get better or are they more or less going to rely on raw physical talents - which sometimes is enough - see Lamar Odom, who was a darn solid player for a long time despite not having an incredible work ethic by any stretch of the imagination.  

I don't know if I see any of our core (Lavine, White, Markannen, Carter) being traded to move up, those guys would be packaged together for something bigger, not to get an unknown in one of these top 4 potential picks.   I think all of these rumors are smokescreens from AK as he works on something significant.  

Edited by Chi Town Sox

I am not enamored with anyone at 4.  Ball's size, length, and passing are intriguing, but he like everyone has flaws and holes in his game.  Bulls need playmaking and if Ball falls to 4 I probably take him.  The other PGs in the Bulls range don't excite me at all and feel like reaches.  Going to be a very interesting few weeks though.

4 hours ago, greasywheels121 said:

I could be very wrong; however, I bet it's the LeBron approach to assuring he's maximizing the paycheck.

I'm interested in seeing where Oladipo lands, with all the smoke about him wanting out of Indiana.

Seeing the stories about him campaigning to go to other teams while he was playing against specific teams, I kind of hope he ends up with the Knicks and they stay a perennial train wreck

4 hours ago, greasywheels121 said:

I could be very wrong; however, I bet it's the LeBron approach to assuring he's maximizing the paycheck.

I'm interested in seeing where Oladipo lands, with all the smoke about him wanting out of Indiana.

Yeah pretty sure this is right and the same 1 year approach durant kept doing.

Oladipo, man, I don't know how many will take a chance on that.

I kinda forgot how restricted bulls are this year at salary, but porter gives them an extremely tradable salary to either help facilitate or take a chance.

5 minutes ago, Quin said:

Most likely re-upping with Lakers.

Yeah - I haven't heard any rumblings of anything different. Although if I were Chicago, I'd at least try and figure out how you could like acquire Harden to pair with AD (or something insane).  99.9% it doesn't work, but I'd try.  

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

Yeah - I haven't heard any rumblings of anything different. Although if I were Chicago, I'd at least try and figure out how you could like acquire Harden to pair with AD (or something insane).  99.9% it doesn't work, but I'd try.  

JMO - I seriously doubt there are going to be "mulit-year stretches where there are no star players available in the NBA" given what we've seen the last couple seasons, the question is whether the Bulls would be ready for that right now.

If the coaching was a major problem, and the system was a major problem, and the training staff was a major problem, then the assets the Bulls have and the whole feel of the organization could be a much bigger attraction in trades next offseason. Only Lauri really becomes a concern then, since he'll be at the RFA level. 

47 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

JMO - I seriously doubt there are going to be "mulit-year stretches where there are no star players available in the NBA" given what we've seen the last couple seasons, the question is whether the Bulls would be ready for that right now.

If the coaching was a major problem, and the system was a major problem, and the training staff was a major problem, then the assets the Bulls have and the whole feel of the organization could be a much bigger attraction in trades next offseason. Only Lauri really becomes a concern then, since he'll be at the RFA level. 

I tend to agree with you - I think they want a year to evaluate.  But the interesting part is, none of us know what the front office is thinking, so you never know and if you think you can get a star or two - you should always try.  

I would dangle Lavine, White and #4 pick for Harden; or you could do a package around Laurie and others or obviously with Carter Jr.  I think you need Lavine in the package to make money work - might be wrong though.  Unless Otto Porter is part of the deal to make financing work.  If you plan to go big in FA next year - than having someone like Harden is good.  

7 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I would dangle Lavine, White and #4 pick for Harden; or you could do a package around Laurie and others or obviously with Carter Jr.  I think you need Lavine in the package to make money work - might be wrong though.  Unless Otto Porter is part of the deal to make financing work.  If you plan to go big in FA next year - than having someone like Harden is good.  

I think realistically Houston is going to be a bit hamstrung in wanting to provide a soft landing for Harden and get some feedback on where he wants to go. On that end, I'm not sure he'd want to go to chicago (he was not on the Donovan OKC teams, there is nothing to lure him).

But that aside, I think I would want 2021 draft picks, salary relief, and young talent.

The knicks might have a shot with that said.

• bmags locked this topic