2020 NBA Offseason Thread

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I think the running definition for years has been where the players get together to artificially manipulate the situation to create these teams.  Such as demanding trades only to one team.  Setting up free agency to where players take haircuts on max deals to make sure their buddies can sign at the same time.  Forcing a release so they can take another deal with the team they want to be on.

GMs trading for players on the open market isn't really something that falls under that IMO.

For example, it is one thing to say the Bulls traded for Rodman.  But Dennis Rodman didn't go to Spurs management and TELL them that he HAS to get traded, and he will ONLY accept a deal to the Bulls.  It is another thing for James Harden or Anthony Davis to force a trade and say they will ONLY play for certain teams.

At least that is how I have always seen it.

^^^^

The Bulls were built mostly through the draft. Jordan and Pippen were drafted by the Bulls, and complimentary pieces were put around them through free agency. 

Compare that to the early 2010s Heat, who traded everyone and stripped their team bare outside of Dwayne Wade order to create enough cap space to sign Lebron and Bosh. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

11 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I think the running definition for years has been where the players get together to artificially manipulate the situation to create these teams.  Such as demanding trades only to one team.  Setting up free agency to where players take haircuts on max deals to make sure their buddies can sign at the same time.  Forcing a release so they can take another deal with the team they want to be on.

GMs trading for players on the open market isn't really something that falls under that IMO.

For example, it is one thing to say the Bulls traded for Rodman.  But Dennis Rodman didn't go to Spurs management and TELL them that he HAS to get traded, and he will ONLY accept a deal to the Bulls.  It is another thing for James Harden or Anthony Davis to force a trade and say they will ONLY play for certain teams.

One thing that has always irked me is people saying Magic wouldn't have formed a super team. 

Dude totally would have if he wasn't on the Lakers.

CHICAGO —  Magic Johnson would have returned to Michigan State rather than play for the Chicago Bulls.
“I’d have stayed in school,” he said here Tuesday, standing alone outside Gate 3 1/2 of Chicago Stadium, the house that could have been his. “A coin toss changed the course of my whole life.”

Chicago called heads in a 1979 coin flip with Los Angeles for the No. 1 pick in the NBA college draft. It came up tails.

Johnson signed with the Lakers after his sophomore year of college and proceeded to win five championships. The Bulls picked second, took UCLA’s David Greenwood and have won no championships.

“I wouldn’t have played here,” Johnson said on the eve of Game 2 of the NBA finals between his team and the team that could have been his. “The only reason I came out was to play with Kareem and the Lakers.

READ MORE: https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1991-06-05-sp-83-story.html

Then he demanded a trade in 1981.

8 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

^^^^

The Bulls were built mostly through the draft. Jordan and Pippen were drafted by the Bulls, and complimentary pieces were put around them through free agency. 

Compare that to the early 2010s Heat, who traded everyone and stripped their team bare outside of Dwayne Wade order to create enough cap space to sign Lebron and Bosh. 

Pippen was a draft day trade, but yes.

38 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Bingo not to mention Rodman was like 34 or 35 and many considered his best days behind him at the time of the second 3 peat. Dennis was good, but he was never an all star here.

Listen, the reason why super teams exist now is the max deal. But there have always been super teams. The Lakers were a super team, the Celtics were a super team. They took advantage of the lower revenue teams being idiots and desperate just like now.

At least now there is a lot of churn. But it doesn't have anything to do with competitiveness. Barkley forced his way out of philly, almost went to the lakers.Drexler forced a trade to the rockets.

It was a different flavor, but players still forced themselves to teams they wanted. FA just made it easier for players to get out of it since teams are constantly in the "we can't lose this guy for nothing" window.

• Thanks 2

Gave up on the game last night midway through the 3rd. Shocked to see they came back and won.

Dont we have a Vandy guy here on the board? Who is this Shittu guy? A quick google search tells me he was one of the top recruits in the 2018 high school class. Dropped 13 points in 12 minutes last night..... Could he be a guy? 

• bmags locked this topic